PDA

View Full Version : I need some opinions! 31s v 33s

Hopkins
01-23-2014, 10:14 PM
I need some input. Currently I have a 3 inch lift sitting in my garage. Originally I planned on putting 31s under the XJ along with the lift and calling it a day. I have not pulled the trigger on tires because I was waiting for the 31s I wanted to come in stock.

Now I am realizing that for $200 more I could trim my fenders and squeeze 33s under it. If I do 33s I will still have stock gearing and brakes. However my XJ is not my DD so it could live with being under geared for now as long as 33s and 3.55s is okay???

If I do 33s I know that I would need to extend my bumpstops before hitting the trails. What else am I missing? Are my stock axles HPD30 and 8.25 good for 33s? Am I going to rip off my steering box?...

Any input would be great! I love the idea of 33s, but don't want to be opening a can of worms with them. So let me know what you would do in my situation...
31s or 33s? Thanks for all responses!

Firemanray
01-23-2014, 10:30 PM
I've ran both sizes with 3:55 gears. 31's had good manners overdrive stilled pulled good and fuel mileage didn't suffer much. 33's, no overdrive, mileage under 10 mpg, hard on front wheel bearings.

The upside of 33's, they look cool and they tick off a box on your "man card". If it's your DD I would think hard about 33's without a gear change.

VIRGINIA FABRICATION
01-23-2014, 10:36 PM
31's

4.3LXJ
01-23-2014, 10:44 PM
You will be happier on the highway with 31s without a gear change. And they still wheel well.

cantab27
01-23-2014, 11:32 PM
33s and wheel it ..........get a honda for dd:D:D:D

re highway stay on 31s and 3inch lift good combo......what kinda trails ya going to run.....

jimmixj
01-24-2014, 07:23 AM
I run almost the same setup, d30 front and ch8.25 rear with 3:55 gearing and 31s. It wheels good, crawls ok and I get to and from with minimal complaint. I still look longingly at 33s and 35s but until I can afford it (or the gear genie shows up with a wand and a smile) that's the setup that works best. The biggest advantage for me is far less strain on related components with the smaller tires. It's not just the steering gear that suffers the big meats...ALL drivetrain, steering and axle components are stressed anytime you add unsprung weight. All of that said, I still agree with Raymond; 33s look bitchin! :D

denverd1
01-24-2014, 12:22 PM
if you're thinking about 33s.... and not your DD, GO 33s!

Take it from guy who paid 800 for 31s, put about 1000 miles on them. trimmed fenders. Then realized I'd never wear out the tires since its not DD. Sold them for 400. then bought 33s. :bang:

Did I NEED 33s? No, and like others have said, they wheeled well. 31s stuffed better, but I trimmed so it didn't really matter.

07Negative
01-24-2014, 12:30 PM
It's also really easy to go up an 1-2" in lift with what you have in lift parts already. I'd go w 33's since its not a DD vehicle. You might want to even consider going up a bit more in lift now, rather than doing it later.

bigjim350
01-24-2014, 03:48 PM
I run 33's on stock 3.55 gears. Does just fine on and offroad. On road I still get decent MPG and maintain speed just fine. Also having 33's hasnt seemed to wear anything out any worse than wheeling it does.

bluedragon436
01-24-2014, 03:54 PM
I ran 33's on my XJ, with more then 3" of lift though, but had no issues as a DD w/ stock gears for three years... and it did pretty well off road.. I would say later down the road after you've taken care of a few other wanted upgrades you can always do the rehear later.. but especially with it not being your DD you should be fine..

Mudderoy
01-24-2014, 07:40 PM
I've ran both sizes with 3:55 gears. 31's had good manners overdrive stilled pulled good and fuel mileage didn't suffer much. 33's, no overdrive, mileage under 10 mpg, hard on front wheel bearings.

The upside of 33's, they look cool and they tick off a box on your "man card". If it's your DD I would think hard about 33's without a gear change.

32's with 3.55 gears is tough on the highway. 33's with 4.56 is almost like driving it stock.

Hopkins
01-24-2014, 08:48 PM
Thanks for the replys! It's always good to hear everyone's opinions, and since they were mixed responses I'm sure either size would be a good decision.

Haha now here is the kicker! I walked into the local tire store today just to ask some questions and 30 minutes later I was putting down a deposit on 4 33x10.50r15 BFG KM2s. This wasn't the tire I was looking at running, but the size is being discontinued(or at least not carried by this chain anymore) so I ended up getting a pretty good deal. I have heard great things about these tires and am excited to have them under my XJ!

I also ordered some IronMan4x4Fab shackle relocation brackets to lift the rear up a little more, and coil spring spacers to pick the front up. That should put me right at 4 inches of lift, so with some trimming I will be able to get those 33s under there just fine. As soon as the parts get in they will be going under the XJ, and once she is up then I will be headed over to the tire shop. I'm thinking just taking the factory flares off will be enough for street driving, and then once I am mentally prepared for it I will chop the fenders. I will make sure to take plenty of pics!

bluedragon436
01-24-2014, 09:16 PM
Those are great tires, and glad you were able to get a good deal on new tires for your XJ.. Those other parts you ordered are def great choices to go with.. You def won't be disappointed in Andy's parts at all!!

denverd1
01-25-2014, 11:50 AM
Sweet! Km2s rock!

Think of trimming as a nice haircut to reveal those beautiful 33s

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S3

Hopkins
01-25-2014, 08:49 PM
With 4 inches of lift and 33s what can I expect out of the steering on my XJ? Am I pushing the limit on the angles? I would love to buy the Currie Currectlync, but I have run through available funds for now...

Haha I have fully realized the Just Empty Every Pocket aspect of owning an XJ. Gotta love it tho!

4.3LXJ
01-25-2014, 08:54 PM
You will be fine. 6.5" is about the limit for stock steering

cpttuna
01-25-2014, 10:05 PM
you said 4 tires. No spare the same size???????

Hopkins
01-26-2014, 09:52 AM
Nope, no spare. I do have a factory 28 inch spare and a tire plug kit. Also a AAA membership for what it's worth. I know it's not ideal to drive with 2 different size tires, but with an open differential it will work for a couple miles until you can get to a stopping point. Just have to make sure the smaller size spare goes on the rear axle. I don't think steering with 2 different size tires is a great idea.

I mean your talking close to $1000 for a 33 inch spare cuz you have to buy the rear tire carrier to put it on. I know there are cheaper ways, but that is how I would go about it. I would have loved to buy a spare, but it just wasn't in the finances for now.

cantab27
01-26-2014, 10:24 AM
pick up any old 33 for a spare ... its just gotta get ya home....

Hopkins
01-26-2014, 10:44 AM
Good thinking! That didn't even cross my mind. I'll keep an eye out on craigslist

07Negative
01-26-2014, 03:32 PM
I've had my KMII's for quite some time. Really kick butt tire. So kick butt, I'm not sure why folks are in love the MTR's. By the way. Do your steering last. Get the lift height you want. Then work on the front end geometry. Ditch the Curry setup idea. Way over priced. If anything. Get "1 tone" inverted T system for like $300. Call it done for a while. If you're keeping your Dana30. Maybe consider the WJ knuckle swap. You can do crossover steering from the knuckles & get bigger brakes.