PDA

View Full Version : Cup Holder

Spike3
01-23-2014, 07:21 PM
This isn't exactly a typical fabrication post because it deals with 3D printers, but here it goes.
I'm studying to get my mechanical engineering degree and at my university I get free access to the university's 3D printers. As a task to figure out SolidWorks while making something practical that I can actually appreciate, I figured I'd start with designing a cup holder. I modelled it after one that was likely bought on eBay but made the cup holder part larger to accommodate larger cups (I'm pretty sure this thing will take large theatre cups) because I like a lot of caffeine.
I just got the completed part today and it doesn't quite fit yet. The one I had printed had "hooks" that were 5/8" wide, but I think it needs to be about 1/2". I've made the changes to the file but will need to take the part into the shop to file it down to to get it to fit perfectly and I'll report back with the measurements and updated file.
I just wanted to post the file here so you all can make your own cup holders.
Just follow this link and you can download the SolidWorks file: https://www.dropbox.com/s/1bsugtokqk9cmhh/93_XJ_Cupholder.SLDPRT

-Spike

Brasscatz
01-23-2014, 07:25 PM
pretty neat! I'm eager to see pics of this thing

Spike3
01-23-2014, 07:29 PM
pretty neat! I'm eager to see pics of this thing

The white plastic is the cup holder itself. The black plastic is the "scaffolding" needed for printing. I had to chip it off but there is still some on the faces that I can't take off so I'm going to dip it in a special liquid that dissolves the black plastic.
By the way, one holder is 3" diameter, the other is 4". It's very easy to configure the file to meet your own sizes.

XJ Wheeler
01-23-2014, 07:46 PM
That's pretty cool. And came out nice too.

I would absolutely love to have a 3d printer, and the knowledge of using it too of course. But i figure its literally endless the projects you could make.

Sent via messenger pigeon - i talk, he types.

jimmixj
01-23-2014, 09:56 PM
F in cool! Just the name "3D printer" is getting me all excited. I'm imagining overhead consoles, speaker boxes, a dead pedal, and a whole bunch of other poop. Is the medium plastic only or can it work in aluminum, stainless,???

Spike3
01-23-2014, 09:59 PM
F in cool! Just the name "3D printer" is getting me all excited. I'm imagining overhead consoles, speaker boxes, a dead pedal, and a whole bunch of other poop. Is the medium plastic only or can it work in aluminum, stainless,???

This is ABS plastic because that's what the school has I guess. There are 3D printers that do metal but they are way more expensive than plastic printers. I'm sure that in time we'll have printers in our shops and be printing our own axles!

JENSSEN
01-23-2014, 10:09 PM
Welcome Coz! For those who don't know this is my cousin that is piloting my old 1993 DD XJ!!!

jimmixj
01-24-2014, 07:29 AM
Welcome Coz! For those who don't know this is my cousin that is piloting my old 1993 DD XJ!!!

Sweeeet! Way to go passin the good stuff along. Been out wheelin with my friends for a while now and 2 more of them have bought and are fixin up XJs. Think it has anything to do with the XJ being Ubercool?:D:D

JENSSEN
01-24-2014, 11:00 PM
Kevin you making me wait until Sunday to see the installed pictures?

Think we can make a generic mold off it and reproduce it?

Mudderoy
01-25-2014, 05:31 AM
The white plastic is the cup holder itself. The black plastic is the "scaffolding" needed for printing. I had to chip it off but there is still some on the faces that I can't take off so I'm going to dip it in a special liquid that dissolves the black plastic.
By the way, one holder is 3" diameter, the other is 4". It's very easy to configure the file to meet your own sizes.

Just when you thought the mods were nearing an end.... 3D printers! :bang:

Spike3
01-25-2014, 05:52 PM
Kevin you making me wait until Sunday to see the installed pictures?

Think we can make a generic mold off it and reproduce it?

I need to file the hooks to make them a little narrower so I'll need your tools Sunday. It'd probably be pretty easy to mould it. We have the part file anyways so it'll always be reproducible.

Spike3
01-25-2014, 05:53 PM
Just when you thought the mods were nearing an end.... 3D printers! :bang:

The future is here.

Spike3
01-30-2014, 05:46 PM
It's a good thing I'm not an engineer yet because I messed up the design. I didn't account for the upward curve in the centre console and didn't make the bottom "stabilizer" arm long enough. A hacksaw and some glue fixed this but I'm making corrections to the part and going to print version 1.

Firemanray
01-30-2014, 08:00 PM
This is really COOOOLLLL stuff!!! I'm anxiously waiting for pictures of the final product.
http://i223.photobucket.com/albums/dd11/firemanray21/Deer-popcorn_zpsebafab2e.gif (http://s223.photobucket.com/user/firemanray21/media/Deer-popcorn_zpsebafab2e.gif.html)

4.3LXJ
01-30-2014, 09:22 PM
It's a good thing I'm not an engineer yet because I messed up the design. I didn't account for the upward curve in the centre console and didn't make the bottom "stabilizer" arm long enough. A hacksaw and some glue fixed this but I'm making corrections to the part and going to print version 1.

Just a suggestion, the Jeep cup holders and others have a place between the two holders that is removed. This allows for coffee cup handles. Just saying

Spike3
01-30-2014, 11:43 PM
Just a suggestion, the Jeep cup holders and others have a place between the two holders that is removed. This allows for coffee cup handles. Just saying
That's a fantastic idea I haven't thought of that yet! Since the holder goes on the passenger side of the console, I was thinking of having the handle cutout on the side of the holder facing the passenger (instead of facing forward or rear). There's a lot of material so I'm gonna pay with the model a bit

I'll post a picture tomorrow with the cup holder in place.

Spike3
01-31-2014, 04:09 PM
Here is the cup holder in action (with a beer in there for scale). The holes are massive so I'll make them smaller to match the traveller mugs that I use. Lots of little changes to do before printing the next model!
It sits a little on an angle because the 4" dia. holder sticks out a bit and rests against the console so I'll just end up hacking a tiny piece off so it rests level.

Fun project though. Definitely reinforces the "measure twice, cut once" mantra.

Pookapotamus
01-31-2014, 04:14 PM
How about cutting a groove around the top so that you can put in a thin strip of foam, this will hold any cup or bottle tight and stop it from rattling.

Spike3
01-31-2014, 04:24 PM
How about cutting a groove around the top so that you can put in a thin strip of foam, this will hold any cup or bottle tight and stop it from rattling.

Also a good idea to incorporate.
I was thinking make some holes around the holder so I could rivet some rubber in there do to as you said. I saw a mod a couple of days ago to illustrate what I'm taking about. I'll post it once I find it.

4.3LXJ
01-31-2014, 04:25 PM
Kevin, here is my cup holder I made out of the Jeep accessory. I designed it to hold just about anything snugly.

http://i649.photobucket.com/albums/uu215/warriorsuspension/2012-10-03_12-51-56_999.jpg

http://i649.photobucket.com/albums/uu215/warriorsuspension/2012-10-03_12-53-15_495.jpg

http://i649.photobucket.com/albums/uu215/warriorsuspension/2012-10-03_12-52-55_413.jpg

http://i649.photobucket.com/albums/uu215/warriorsuspension/2012-10-03_12-52-36_195.jpg

Pookapotamus
01-31-2014, 04:27 PM
An o-ring could work to, but if you're planing on cutting a slot for the mug handle, rubber might work better, as a fellow designer check out the Mc-Master Carr web site, they have tons of materials and all their dimensions, should be able to find something that would work.

Spike3
01-31-2014, 04:31 PM
Kevin, here is my cup holder I made out of the Jeep accessory. I designed it to hold just about anything snugly.

http://i649.photobucket.com/albums/uu215/warriorsuspension/2012-10-03_12-51-56_999.jpg

http://i649.photobucket.com/albums/uu215/warriorsuspension/2012-10-03_12-53-15_495.jpg

http://i649.photobucket.com/albums/uu215/warriorsuspension/2012-10-03_12-52-55_413.jpg

http://i649.photobucket.com/albums/uu215/warriorsuspension/2012-10-03_12-52-36_195.jpg

Isn't that the holder that's supposed to go over the e-brake and attach under the armrest top? I was thinking of ordering it but I like to rest my arm on the armrest and I figured if I had a cup in the holder then I'd need to bend my arm around it so not to knock it over when shifting. That, plus this is just an excuse to play around with cool tech!

That looks cool how'd you get the top mould done? Glue different sizes of PVC pipe together?

4.3LXJ
01-31-2014, 04:34 PM
Isn't that the holder that's supposed to go over the e-brake and attach under the armrest top? I was thinking of ordering it but I like to rest my arm on the armrest and I figured if I had a cup in the holder then I'd need to bend my arm around it so not to knock it over when shifting. That, plus this is just an excuse to play around with cool tech!

That looks cool how'd you get the top mould done? Glue different sizes of PVC pipe together?

You are right, that is the one ghat goes over the ebrake. I didn't like there either and it would only hold small soda pop cans. The material there is aluminum I cut and rolled, joined in the middle by 5 min epoxy and glued in with the same. I painted it to keep them guessing how I made it

Spike3
01-31-2014, 04:45 PM
An o-ring could work to, but if you're planing on cutting a slot for the mug handle, rubber might work better, as a fellow designer check out the Mc-Master Carr web site, they have tons of materials and all their dimensions, should be able to find something that would work.

I was going to look for some stiff rubber and rivet it in place. I've heard of that McMaster Carr site before and it's definitely been helpful before. I'll buy a machinists handbook for the summer when I really have some free time, plus I'll need it for the 4th year project and life afterwards.

Pookapotamus
01-31-2014, 04:47 PM
I have my dads machinists hand book from when he was a mechanical designer, great resource!

JENSSEN
02-01-2014, 12:31 AM
Kev glad to see using Pilsner as a test mule!

nickyg
02-01-2014, 11:05 AM
Finally!!! Technology used for something useful!!

JENSSEN
02-02-2014, 02:55 AM
Held the prototype in my hand today and damn is it cool!

Would to taken me me me weeks or months with wood or steel but I am old.

Wish I could have looked at it longer but a Comanche went to a new home today nd I had to rush out hit the DMV and get all the papers in order.

Happy to see on from the nest visit home and see its in very good hands

bluedragon436
02-22-2014, 08:01 PM
I think the 3D printers are awesome, and even more so after seeing something that is greatly needing in the 96- XJ's and MJ's... Look forward to seeing what other awesome mods come out of the 3D printer learning!!

Niac
02-25-2014, 08:48 PM
If you stepped the bottom to a smaller size you could hold big cups and small beers.

cwvs
02-28-2014, 09:43 PM
I bought the optional cup holder from the local dealership a few years ago. It looks very similar to your printed cupholder. The only thing I can think to suggest is rounding the corners to improve the looks and reduce chance of injury to your passenger.

Bob :)

AndyEBR
04-10-2014, 07:12 AM
Here's the best and most readily available cup holder I've found.

prerunner1982
04-10-2014, 07:40 AM
Andy... try one of these. You can usually get them at most fast food places or even convenient stores. Fits pretty well between the seats and the ebrake handle helps keep it down.

http://thumbs.dreamstime.com/x/four-take-out-coffee-three-cups-holder-27854937.jpg

AndyEBR
04-10-2014, 09:04 AM
Whoa 4 cups of caffeine!!!! better get me off the road.

prerunner1982
04-10-2014, 09:32 AM
not the coffee specifically... but the holder they are sitting in. lol

Spike3
04-10-2014, 02:36 PM
I've seen people use an old shoe or boot as one. Hopefully cleaned.
In going to send in my new part file tonight to get printed. Hopefully it'll be ready within a couple of weeks

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk

nickyg
04-10-2014, 05:48 PM
Andy... try one of these. You can usually get them at most fast food places or even convenient stores. Fits pretty well between the seats and the ebrake handle helps keep it down.

http://thumbs.dreamstime.com/x/four-take-out-coffee-three-cups-holder-27854937.jpg

Two cups for caffeine in. two cups for caffeine out.

4.3LXJ
04-10-2014, 06:34 PM
Nice one Nick

AndyEBR
04-10-2014, 06:40 PM
LOL!!!

I'm liking this forum already.

Spike3
04-11-2014, 03:17 PM
I can't post the SolidWorks part file here because the format isn't supported but if anybody wants a copy of it then let me know.

Changes include:

Removing a piece of the top portion so it will fit with the upward curve of the console
Resizing the cup holder holes to 3 and 3.5 inches
Extending the lower arm down 0.25 inches to get it to fit
Shortening the size of the cylinder that makes up the cup holder so it doesn't hit the side of the centre console, causing it to be angled

The prof in charge of printing says there is a big queue for the printers with people printing their 4th year projects, so it might be printed in the summer. As usual, I'll update as this progresses!