PDA

View Full Version : 99 XJ Sport - AC Condenser/Radiator Setup

johnw00d
01-23-2014, 12:49 PM
My 99 XJ Sport, behind the grille, has what appears to be 2 radiators/condensers. One is full size and the one in front is about 3" tall only and not quite the full width. If someone could please describe the setup it would be very helpful because one is leaking and I have no idea if i should be looking at radiators or condensers.

Side note: my AC leaks 134-A and it appears my radiator may be leaking as well? a green liquid pools up under the drivers side engine on the floor when parked for awhile.

Thanks

4.3LXJ
01-23-2014, 01:23 PM
The three inch tall cooler is the transmission cooler. As far as the AC goes, you will not see much there. There might be a little oil at the point where it leaks. The refrigerant will evaporate and leave no trace. The green stuff will be antifreeze

NW99XJ
01-23-2014, 01:23 PM
Green liquid is definitely coolant/antifreeze.
Pics are always helpful when asking about certain things/parts/areas of the jeep.
It SOUNDS like you may have a leak in an auxiliary cooler. You may be looking at the transmission fluid cooler, its basically just a separate little radiator that helps cool the tranny fluid.

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/800x600q90/132/df6p.jpg (https://imageshack.com/i/3odf6pj)

See if you can chase/trace the lines coming in and out of it, and see where they route to. It may be an auxiliary oil cooler, a tranny cooler, or maybe even a power steering fluid cooler... Again, pics MAY help, and a description of where the lines go would as well.

johnw00d
01-23-2014, 01:53 PM
Wow. This is my first time using a forum and it's awesome how helpful and fast the replies are so thanks.

Anyway I'll include a picture, but it appears the tranny radiator was somehow pushed in on one end and hit the regular radiator.

As far as my AC leak I know it's coming from somewhere near there because I can hear hissing out from the right side of the grill area. http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/01/24/5ute9u8y.jpghttp://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/01/24/pehajyze.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

johnw00d
01-23-2014, 01:57 PM
I did some line tracing and I think the tranny cooler hit and punctured the AC condenser which is the same size and in front of the radiator? I didn't realize there was another row of radiator type parts to see. I'm assuming the closest row to the engine is radiator. Then AC condenser. Then the small tranny cooler?

NW99XJ
01-23-2014, 01:58 PM
I'm not usually one to recommend just throwing parts at an issue, but judging off the pics i'd say you may have to replace both units.
I'd say go to Rockauto.com (http://www.rockauto.com/) ...they're a great resource for replacement parts for cheap.
You could also try a local junkyard.
In any case, those brackets holding the smaller unit (tranny cooler) will need to be straightened out.

XJ Wheeler
01-23-2014, 02:13 PM
Yes, the radiator is closest to the engine, the a/c condenser bolts to the front of that via brackets on top, and finally your trans cooler (the little one) in front. I would make sure on that green stuff because yes, coolant is green, but so is a/c leak dye. If theres just a little it could be either, a lot, that would be coolant. What's the condition of your coolant, say if you look in the radiator?

Sent via messenger pigeon - i talk, he types.

NW99XJ
01-23-2014, 02:19 PM
A/C dye is typically UV Reactive, so if you have a black light laying around, you can illuminate the area with it and see if it reacts (glows) .... good way to tell whats leaking and where.... providing the A/C system actually HAS that dye in it.

abebehrmann
01-23-2014, 02:24 PM
A/C dye is typically UV Reactive, so if you have a black light laying around, you can illuminate the area with it and see if it reacts (glows) .... good way to tell whats leaking and where.... providing the A/C system actually HAS that dye in it.

Coincidentally, so are a lot of body fluids. So you'll also know if there has been any "funny business" with your Jeep lately... ;)

jk

johnw00d
01-23-2014, 03:34 PM
There shouldn't be any dye running through my AC system, also I live in Minnesota so the AC hasn't been used in many months lol.

This may have nothing to do with anything, but recently I noticed every so often when I'm driving (possibly on inclines/declines and acceleration) the sound of liquid seemingly rushing back and forth. Almost like the sound a stream makes but it's only for several seconds then stops and is not always happening. Maybe that has to do with not enough radiator fluid? Or maybe y'all will think I'm an Automotive-hypochondriac haha

Regardless I really appreciate all this help.

johnw00d
01-23-2014, 03:38 PM
Should I Look in the radiator at the coolant fill point?

4.3LXJ
01-23-2014, 04:13 PM
Never hurts

NW99XJ
01-24-2014, 08:41 AM
Might be time to burp the coolant system.... you may have some air in there somewhere.
Have you noticed any "antifreeze smell" IN the jeep, like when the vent or defrost is blowing? I only ask, because the sound your hearing is most likely coming from the heater core, or at least the lines that go to/from it.

johnw00d
01-24-2014, 03:45 PM
I havent noticed any smells no.. how does one burp their system?

NW99XJ
01-27-2014, 09:35 AM
Burping usually requires the vehicle to be brought up to operating temp with the rad cap off.... as the system heats up and the thermostat opens, air is allowed to escape vs. being trapped in the system. Typically the reservoir will accommodate this, but in some situations there's still too much pressure.

johnw00d
01-29-2014, 11:02 PM
so i have my new condenser.. any place for instructions on how to install it

NW99XJ
01-30-2014, 08:53 AM
CAUTION: Before removing the condenser, note the location of each of the radiator and condenser air
seals.
These seals are used to direct air through the condenser and radiator.
The air seals must be reinstalled in their proper locations in order for the air
conditioning and engine cooling systems to perform as designed.
REMOVAL
(1) Disconnect and isolate the battery negative cable.
(2) Recover the refrigerant from the refrigerant system.
(3) Disconnect the discharge line refrigerant line fitting at the condenser inlet.
Install plugs in, or tape over all of the opened refrigerant line fittings.
(4) Disconnect the liquid line (Left-Hand Drive) refrigerant line fitting at the condenser outlet.
Install plugs in, or tape over all of the opened refrigerant line fittings.
(5) Remove the radiator and the condenser from the vehicle as a unit.
(6) Remove the two nuts that secure the condenser studs to the upper brackets of the radiator.
(7) Slide the condenser down from the radiator far enough for the condenser studs to clear the upper
radiator bracket holes, and for the lower condenser bracket holes to clear the dowel pins on the bottom of
the radiator.
(8) Remove the condenser from the radiator.

INSTALLATION
(1) Install the holes of the condenser lower brackets over the dowel pins on the bottom of the radiator.
(2) Slide the condenser upwards until both of the condenser studs are installed through the holes in the
radiator upper brackets. Tighten the mounting nuts to 5.3 N·m (47 in. lbs.).
(3) Renstall the radiator and condenser unit in the vehicle.
(4) Remove the tape or plugs from the refrigerant line fittings on the condenser outlet and the liquid
line (Left-Hand Drive). Install the liquid line to the condenser outlet.
(5) Remove the tape or plugs from the refrigerant line fittings on the condenser inlet and the discharge line.
Connect the discharge line to the condenser inlet.
(6) Connect the battery negative cable.
(7) Evacuate the refrigerant system.
(8) Charge the refrigerant system.
NOTE: If the condenser is replaced, add 30 milliliters (1 fluid ounce)
of refrigerant oil to the refrigerant system.
Use only refrigerant oil of the type recommended for the compressor in the vehicle.

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/800x600q90/829/p6rz.png (https://imageshack.com/i/n1p6rzp)

jdougn
01-30-2014, 09:26 AM
The sound of water in the cab may be from air getting into the heater core and might be an indicator of low radiator fluid. That's happened to me on two different vehicles that were running low on anti-freeze.