PDA

View Full Version : Hardcore (or not) fab guys check in here...

Firemanray
01-22-2014, 05:49 PM
.....of course in typical :xjtalk: style, all are welcome.

I've brought this conversation over from "fab" as not to clutter up that forum. How many people in here do serious fab work? I love the info I can get from Pirate:smiley-scared003: but that place blows when it comes to the kind of friendly camaraderie that is found here on :xjtalk:.

So having said that, let's talk fabrication!!!!

07Negative
01-22-2014, 07:18 PM
I just started welding with a buzz box, which I traded 100 rounds of 45ACP for. My welds are uglier than I am (hard to beat I know). But I'm really ambitious and find any ol' reason to unplug the dryer to plug in the buzz box.
My Jeep hasn't been much of a victim of my horrible ambitions. But I've been working on a few small pieces of farm equipment.
I am trying to built the balls to weld in those 2x6 rocker panel sliders. I'm just being a sissy trying to mate sheet metal to 3/16 using stick. I can't see for crap with this stuff. I'd love to get a new helmet though. This Harbor Freight junk blows a hard one.
I commented on your bender! I want one so bad. Wanting to make tube fenders.

4.3LXJ
01-22-2014, 07:20 PM
I of course never fab anything :smiley-taunt002:

gary63
01-22-2014, 07:34 PM
as for ugly welds I'm the king but I'm getting really good with the grinder. But I'm going to keep trying sooner or later I will get better. I just bend and cut and weld things for the wife to practice and then tell her I could do more if I had a plasma cutter she told me to go get one. You got to love a wife who tells you to go and get more tools.

Brasscatz
01-22-2014, 08:09 PM
I fabbed my shroud back together LOL!!!

http://i356.photobucket.com/albums/oo7/thestalliontruck/Red%20Bandit%20XJ/10b22665-5161-4aa8-872b-ba46920c9684_zps7a244939.jpg (http://s356.photobucket.com/user/thestalliontruck/media/Red%20Bandit%20XJ/10b22665-5161-4aa8-872b-ba46920c9684_zps7a244939.jpg.html)

XJ Wheeler
01-22-2014, 08:53 PM
Done a couple little things but i lack the skills (and tools) to be a "serious fabricator" yet.

Sent via messenger pigeon - i talk, he types.

Firemanray
01-22-2014, 08:59 PM
I just started welding with a buzz box, which I traded 100 rounds of 45ACP for. My welds are uglier than I am (hard to beat I know). But I'm really ambitious and find any ol' reason to unplug the dryer to plug in the buzz box.
My Jeep hasn't been much of a victim of my horrible ambitions. But I've been working on a few small pieces of farm equipment.
I am trying to built the balls to weld in those 2x6 rocker panel sliders. I'm just being a sissy trying to mate sheet metal to 3/16 using stick. I can't see for crap with this stuff. I'd love to get a new helmet though. This Harbor Freight junk blows a hard one.
I commented on your bender! I want one so bad. Wanting to make tube fenders.

I spent some money on an auto darkening hood with adjustable tinting. Vast improvement over the inexpensive shields I was using.

as for ugly welds I'm the king but I'm getting really good with the grinder. But I'm going to keep trying sooner or later I will get better. I just bend and cut and weld things for the wife to practice and then tell her I could do more if I had a plasma cutter she told me to go get one. You got to love a wife who tells you to go and get more tools.

Plasma cutter!!!!!! One of the best investments you'll make in fab equipment.

Persistence is the key,find someone that welds (and knows what they're doing) and have them critique your welding. I've been amazed at how a small comment about my welding has helped me make HUGE changes.

Carves
01-22-2014, 09:09 PM
as for ugly welds I'm the king

Sez You .. :p

I'll bet you a bunch of stuck welding rods and a bucket full of worn out grinding discs,

.... that you're not .. :D:D

I havent done anything serious for ages ... and it shows looking at the last little welding job .. :o

New roofrack was on the cards ... until I found that bargain at the clearing sale.

Currently shaping some cardboard for new bumper mounts and stuff .... so there might be some horrible pics of chook shyte, trailed over some steel, in the near future .. :D

Firemanray
01-22-2014, 09:22 PM
Sez You .. :p

I'll bet you a bunch of stuck welding rods and a bucket full of worn out grinding discs,

.... that you're not .. :D:D

I havent done anything serious for ages ... and it shows looking at the last little welding job .. :o

New roofrack was on the cards ... until I found that bargain at the clearing sale.

Currently shaping some cardboard for new bumper mounts and stuff .... so there might be some horrible pics of chook shyte, trailed over some steel, in the near future .. :D

DO IT and post 'em up, we need some good entertainment. :D:D

Carves
01-22-2014, 09:31 PM

What ??? ... My accent not funny enough ?? .. :o

Mr Mudderoy might want to create a Hall of Shame, welding thread ... and I could be first poster I guess .. :confused:

:smiley-laughing021:

oderdene
01-22-2014, 09:45 PM
I did my front and rear bumper, some other things. basically main problem is lack of tools, but I've done most things I thought about with an angle grinder and stick welder. so good so far, of course I am a xj owner, have a tons of plan :D

cantab27
01-23-2014, 01:25 AM
i brake em i dont make em.............few things in barbies thread we have built from scratch

jimmixj
01-23-2014, 08:13 AM
Fabrication might include welding (ugly or not) but that's only part of the story. That's one of the things I love about the XJ platform...it's a perfect canvas for thinkin up wacky stuff that I want to try and readily available so I don't feel so bad when I get it wrong. Heck, I fabbed a roof rack with 2x4s and milk crates; no welding, but God was it BUTT UGLY!:smiley-laughing021::smiley-laughing021::smiley-laughing021: It was handy though for firewood when we got stuck in the boonies!

gary63
01-23-2014, 09:59 AM
will one thing I have had that I really like is my throatless shear for cutting sheet metal.
it works good for corners and odd shapes and easier and neater than tin snips and can cut heavier metal. I have use it for making patches and boxes and other things.

denverd1
01-23-2014, 03:37 PM
have been half-ass looking at welders for several months. Couldn't decide on Northern Tool el cheapo or craigslist used. THEN noticed my neighbor had a serious welding rig on a trailer. I'm going to start buttering him up to borrow it. I'd like to do some tie in plates for front and rear bumper. as well as sliders/stiffeners.

It's been ages since I've welded but I'm sure its like riding a bike.

cpttuna
01-23-2014, 08:49 PM
its one thing to have "ugly welds." It's quite another to have what you just "welded", fall apart in front of your eyes.

denverd1
01-27-2014, 03:44 PM
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/01/28/te2u4ura.jpg

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S3

Firemanray
01-27-2014, 05:22 PM
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/01/28/te2u4ura.jpg

That'll get some work done!!!

Brasscatz
01-27-2014, 05:45 PM
Party at Denver's house!!

denverd1
01-27-2014, 10:07 PM
Lol y'all are crazy. Haven't bought that little trick yet. Got sidetracked at work. Meant to ask if its worth a ****. Opinions?

denverd1
01-28-2014, 12:01 PM
70 amp welder. Won't have to worry about burning through the frame rails and unibody. Is it big enough to get anything done?

NW99XJ
01-28-2014, 12:22 PM
I can stick two pieces of metal together and they WILL hold, and I know it'll be strong.
I know just enough to be dangerous, but not enough (yet) to make my welds look good.
That being said, if there;s something critical that I need welded, I may tack it myself, but for now, will have someone else do the burn in for me.
I try to do as much research as I can on technique, and common practice, but nothing beats actual seat time.
Thats the one thing I'm lacking at this point, is the time to practice.
With all that though, vehicle customization has been in my blood (and part of my career at one point) for most of my life. Nothing will change that.
So fabrication came early and often for me.
One thing that people get confused on is not all fabrication involves welding.
You ever fabricated a bracket, machining it out of aluminum? Or built custom valances, or covers of some kind from fiberglass? Ever built a custom center console from scratch?
All that kind of stuff is fabrication to me, and I love every minute of it.

4.3LXJ
01-28-2014, 01:01 PM
One thing that people get confused on is not all fabrication involves welding.
You ever fabricated a bracket, machining it out of aluminum? Or built custom valances, or covers of some kind from fiberglass? Ever built a custom center console from scratch?
All that kind of stuff is fabrication to me, and I love every minute of it.

Yeah, it is all fun stuff :D

http://i649.photobucket.com/albums/uu215/warriorsuspension/2012-10-03_12-51-56_999.jpg

http://i649.photobucket.com/albums/uu215/warriorsuspension/IMG_1105.jpg

denverd1
01-28-2014, 02:09 PM
Cool!

For $70 I don't think I can get too hurt on it. Prolly pick it up later this week.

denverd1
01-29-2014, 01:14 PM
for experienced welders, would I be better of with a wire feed rather than a small stick welder?

4.3LXJ
01-29-2014, 01:50 PM
Yes, for the average person it takes less skill to run a bead with a wire feed. Both require more skill for verticle and overhead welding. But once you master stitching, you can weld in any position with a wire feed

Carves
05-29-2014, 01:41 AM

Hope you dont choke on your popcorn, whilst you're chuckling at how this gets stuck together ... in a coupla days .. :D

http://i1143.photobucket.com/albums/n629/carves-oz/Tools%20and%20Test/Benches%20-%20Shelving/Tripod03b_zpsced0a719.jpg

cpttuna
05-29-2014, 06:01 AM
I like to fab. I am a rookie at it. I love to look at what other peolple have done for ideas. When I go looking for scrap stainless at the recycling place, I always look for the odd pieces that I would not have the tools to fab myself. On the XJ I bought last year, I welded a piece of stainless on the inside bottom of both front doors. there was rust on the bottom center of both doors. the welded pieces gave me a start point for repair. I made about 20 spot weld with my stick welder and only burnt through the door metal once. I was real proud of myself. I have also made new ss exhaust hangers for the tailpipes on our XJ's. the tend to rust away and the pipe then dangles.

rabies
05-29-2014, 11:50 AM
il post a pic tomorow or my welder and lack of skills lol

Carves
06-10-2014, 07:47 AM
il post a pic tomorow or my welder and lack of skills lol

c'mon then ... cant be worse than todays little effort .. :D:D

... damn gal finishes and box steel with rolled edges ... nothing another run and the angle grinder didnt fix tho.

http://i1143.photobucket.com/albums/n629/carves-oz/Tools%20and%20Test/Benches%20-%20Shelving/Tripod05b_zps40165b0a.jpg

rabies
06-10-2014, 09:04 AM
patched frame on nissan...boogers
http://i943.photobucket.com/albums/ad277/rick_rabies/13577_10151182047301721_9406326_n.jpg (http://s943.photobucket.com/user/rick_rabies/media/13577_10151182047301721_9406326_n.jpg.html)