PDA

View Full Version : New Tools

ETXXJ89
01-20-2014, 10:48 PM
So me and the wife had to go to Lufkin to visit my family and take care of some business. While we were killing time I happened to look at my phone and saw a coupon to Harbor Freight in Lufkin. 100 dollars later I walk out with all this. I almost walked out with a mig welder also but it was only a 90 amp and I wasn't sure it would handle all I needed it to do.

Brasscatz
01-20-2014, 10:56 PM
I got the exact same email.... I'm jealous :D

Firemanray
01-20-2014, 11:00 PM
Now your ready to trim fenders, and make a truckie out of it, and cut the doors off, and.....well maybe I got a little carried away. Enjoy the new tools!!

ETXXJ89
01-20-2014, 11:00 PM
I got the exact same email.... I'm jealous :D

I got lucky. I had just gotten my profit sharing check. LOL I was like score. the wife rolled her eyes and said try not to blow it all. LOL

ETXXJ89
01-20-2014, 11:03 PM
Now your ready to trim fenders, and make a truckie out of it, and cut the doors off, and.....well maybe I got a little carried away. Enjoy the new tools!!

I was actually thinking of that when I got all the tools. later when it becomes a strictly trail rig I was gonna cut roof off behind back seat and make that a bed and weld it in...along with an exo cage. LOL but then I saw where you have the pipe bender so ill be over at your house all the time. LOL jk

bluedragon436
01-20-2014, 11:05 PM
I have to say I enjoy wondering stores, especially that one.. But for some reason or another I always manage to leave with more tools or items then I originally went in to get!! LOL Matter of fact I need to meander over there and pick up a plastic welder so I can work on repairing the Kayak I picked up, so I can hopefully get it all sealed up and ready to go before the warm months!!

ETXXJ89
01-20-2014, 11:10 PM
I have to say I enjoy wondering stores, especially that one.. But for some reason or another I always manage to leave with more tools or items then I originally went in to get!! LOL Matter of fact I need to meander over there and pick up a plastic welder so I can work on repairing the Kayak I picked up, so I can hopefully get it all sealed up and ready to go before the warm months!!

lol I originally went in there looking for a 12 dollar torque wrench they had on sale.. they were sold out so off I went and got in trouble. lol actually I spent 75 dollars. not bad for all the tools I got. I almost got the 90 amp mig welder but wasn't sure it was big enough for everything id want it to do.

Firemanray
01-20-2014, 11:11 PM
I was actually thinking of that when I got all the tools. later when it becomes a strictly trail rig I was gonna cut roof off behind back seat and make that a bed and weld it in...along with an exo cage. LOL but then I saw where you have the pipe bender so ill be over at your house all the time. LOL jk

We bent up our first roll cage today, adding something to the crawler. I'll post a thread tomorrow maybe.

XJ Wheeler
01-20-2014, 11:14 PM
Nice score! We have (okay, its my brothers :D) the same cut off wheel. Its got a reset button on the bottom by the cord for those times you put a little too much force on it. Comes in handy to help save the motor but can get annoying after a while. We've used it to trim my brothers fenders, my rear fenders, and do the cut and fold to mine. As well as a few other projects. You can get the blades at home depot or lowes too in case harbor freight is a ways like it is for me.

Sent via messenger pigeon - i talk, he types.

ETXXJ89
01-20-2014, 11:20 PM
....Its got a reset button on the bottom by the cord for those times you put a little too much force on it.

You can get the blades at home depot or lowes too in case harbor freight is a ways like it is for me.

thanks for the heads up on both!! yeah Harbor freight is like 70 miles from me.

XJ Wheeler
01-20-2014, 11:24 PM
thanks for the heads up on both!! yeah Harbor freight is like 70 miles from me.

Anytime!

They come in a pack of 5 for just over $5.

ETXXJ89
01-20-2014, 11:27 PM
I decided hell im gonna get creative and as time goes on its gonna become a trail only rig. might as well start getting the toys to work on stuff haha.

XJ Wheeler
01-21-2014, 12:41 AM
I decided hell im gonna get creative and as time goes on its gonna become a trail only rig. might as well start getting the toys to work on stuff haha.

Sounds like a plan to me! :D

4.3LXJ
01-21-2014, 10:20 AM

That is what I did when I was your age and never stopped. It is always much better to do stuff yourself than to hire it out. You will always still have the tools afterwards for the next project.

OneArmArrowSlinger
01-21-2014, 11:13 AM
I'm interested in hearing how the electric cutoff tool works. Great score!

XJ Wheeler
01-21-2014, 11:28 AM
I'm interested in hearing how the electric cutoff tool works. Great score!

Had one for almost a year because we don't have access to pneumatic air tools. We've have done several projects with it and its still doing well... fenders trimmed, cut and fold, steel tail light boxes, expanding a mailbox :D, and more. Its not the strongest but has a reset button to keep you from overheating it.

ETXXJ89
01-21-2014, 12:16 PM
I plan on testing it soon but you can ask XJ Wheeler. he has the same one and has used it a lot.

XJ Wheeler
01-21-2014, 12:43 PM
Here it is, hard at work!

http://i1108.photobucket.com/albums/h401/xj-wheeler/Tools/2013-04-171910440.jpg

editedforsafety
01-21-2014, 06:44 PM
Since Christmas, I've been going nutty buying tools. I live about 4 miles from my dad and his well stocked garage, so I've gotten by without them, but for whatever reason I decided I needed some to save me a drive here and there. Then it got a bit out of hand, probably because I work next door to a home depot.

I got a Craftsman 56 piece universal mechanic set, metric and sae 3/8" drive deep well sockets to match, Craftsman bottle opener, Craftsman 3 drawer portable tool box, Dewalt plier/cutter 4 pack, Milwaukee M18 compact Drill/Impact driver combo, 2 Milwaukee impact bit sets, 2 Ridgid impact bit sets, 1/2" adapter for the impact driver, Craftsman drill bit set, Harbor Freight Pittsburgh Pro 1/2" Metric deep impact sockets, 3 Pittsburgh Pro wobble extensions, Pittsburgh Pro composite 1/2" ratchet, Milwaukee 16' tape, some wire cutter/strippers, a chalk line, a square, 2 3/8" drive allen sockets, Estwing hammer on Amazon (clicked the link from here), set of Bondhus allen wrenches, a few sets of mechanic gloves, and today I bought a Milwaukee Sawzall and blades.

I already have plans for a Milwauke M18 impact wrench, and I don't see an end to the tool buying in sight. My girlfriend told me no more tools last week, so I have to sneak them in now.

I think I've gotten some sort of sale or discount on everything, but I've still spent way more than I should have. Christmas/after Christmas sales are getting me. There isn't really a whole lot of rhyme or reason to some of the purchases, just good deals.

bluedragon436
01-21-2014, 06:58 PM
Good deals and the possibility of use one day, is good enough rhyme or reason to me!!!

4.3LXJ
01-21-2014, 07:50 PM
Good tools are always a good investment. They save you tons of money in the end

cpttuna
01-21-2014, 08:32 PM
This is why I like to visit my son. He lives in Urbana Il. and there is a HF store very close to him.

Firemanray
01-21-2014, 09:06 PM
Tools are great!!! I've seen people pawn them or sell them when times get tough. I have a rule, NEVER, NEVER sell tools. You can always make money with them and they are WAY to hard to replace once they're gone.

It's hard to choke down the price of good quality tools sometimes but certain tools should wait for the cash and not go cheap. Welders are a good example. Tools like the ones ETXX bought are fine to go cheaper, even the more expensive ones will wear out over time (I've sent a many of angle grinders to the grave).

Just my 2 cents worth.

ETXXJ89
01-22-2014, 08:46 AM
yea im saving for a welder and a few other items this stuff doesn't matter to go cheap but welder pipe bender lift air compressor all save for