PDA

View Full Version : Portable Tire Machine?

Pookapotamus
01-18-2014, 11:56 AM
The wife had a nail in her tire yesterday and asked me to fix it, which is no biggie done many and takes about 20 mins, using a plug. I am not a huge fan of plugs and much prefer to use the plug & patch combined but there is no way to un-seat the bead and remove the tire to do this without a proper tire machine.

So the designer in me got to thinking of a way to make a portable air powered tire machine. There are some out there that are portable but they are big and bulky hydraulic or manual jobs. But I am lazy and would like a small unit that can easily be packaged into the jeep and be air powered cause most of us have on board air.

So I have come up with a design that weighs under 20 lbs. Basically you bolt it to the rim and an arm carrying an air cylinder can pop the bead then separate it. It would in no means be fast compared to an actual tire machine but I think it would take about 5 mins to separate any tire from any rim and would be able to manufacture them for around $100 in materials.

My question is: Do you guys think this is something that you (the Car/Jeep/off-road enthusiast) might be interested in? For your shop? To carry in the jeep? Worth wile product at all?

No unfortunately I have not come up with a way to balance the tire afterward but it would sure save cash from having a shop change your tires.

Pook

Brasscatz
01-18-2014, 05:38 PM
I think it's an interesting idea, honestly. I tend to stick with plugs myself. I think that somebody like a mobile mechanic would love to have a tool like that though.

bulrid8
01-18-2014, 08:59 PM
I have always used plugs and never had a problem in any tires. put 40k miles on one tire with a plug in it.

But, easiest way to break one down. Use a high lift jack. Place jack in reciever of a hitch and base on the tire. As you jack it up, it will use the weight of the vehicle to break the bead. Then two tire spoons and and you are set!

jimmixj
01-19-2014, 08:56 AM
I think it's an interesting idea, honestly. I tend to stick with plugs myself. I think that somebody like a mobile mechanic would love to have a tool like that though.

Yes I would!!!!:D Have used the hi-lift trick and it works well but is labor intensive and scary in unstable ground conditions. As a mobile mechanic my entire experience with tires is changing one for a customer on the side of the road, but out in the toolies wheelin a tool like that would be MOST helpful! Looking forward to it!

4.3LXJ
01-19-2014, 10:06 AM
After getting caught on the trail with only a doughnut spare and loosing a bead, I carry a full size spare now. It lasted all of 15 feet before going flat too. Came down on a moderate trail in the rocks on the rim. Gotta laugh at that. Now I have air and carry a full size spare and worry about fixing flats later

Pookapotamus
01-19-2014, 09:35 PM
Me thinks I might put a little more thought into this. Possibly produce a prototype.

I have a bunch of ideas that I have been thinking about for the jeeping universe, have figured out how to make some indestructible wheel bearing and get rid of the ball bearing hub assemblies, might put a little work into that too.

If any one has any ideas on how to make this better I am all ears.

Brasscatz
01-19-2014, 09:51 PM
Hmmm suggestions to make it better.... how about a beer dispenser on it? Lol, seriously though, I say go for it

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4 because my microwave couldn't do it