PDA

View Full Version : Quick performance question.

Andrew XJ
01-18-2014, 02:37 AM
hello all its been awhile but I was wondering what all is needed to put a performance cam in my 4.0.

I know I will need the cam, seals for the head, and timing chain cover.

but will I need new valve springs?

this cam is nothing extreme it's just something I'm looking into to give me that little bit of power.

also do I have to pull the distributor?

thanks in advance.

jimmixj
01-18-2014, 07:16 AM
Installing a cam is a job full of peril. Yes you will be pulling the distributor, as it runs off a gear on the cam. Yes, valve springs and all valve train parts should be considered part of a good cam install. Your new bumpstick will be moving the valves more than the old one did so any worn parts are going to show up quickly. Most camshaft suppliers offer a cam kit that includes cam, lifters, springs and retainers, etc. Also, be aware that oil has changed significantly in the last 20 years; camshaft lobes/lifters are precision bearing surfaces that require a definite break-in procedure. Spend the money on the break-in oil and the time to do it right, or else you WILL be doing it again. Ask me how I know! For the money a good header and Cold Air Intake setup is a better way to get some performance; leave the camshaft for the full build of that stroker motor you will no doubt be dreaming about soon. :D

JENSSEN
01-20-2014, 12:57 AM
I used the comp cams extreme 4x4 cam, had the head done, and done again to allow for the hesco valve springs (had to sink the seats down), used chevy lifters (same but less $) ,.... there is no simple cam swap.

Best off to call Bennie at HESCO , google Hesco racing engines, find the number, calll ask for Bennie, tell him what you want, then shut up and start writing down what He says in great detail to take to the machine shop.

Man is a GURU

Andrew XJ
01-20-2014, 01:10 AM
this is going to sound shitty, but I was really hoping to just pop a cam in and to not do a whole bunch of shit.

so is there no way that I can just pop a new cam in and not have to do all that stuff?

I'm not looking for a ton of performance just looking to change my cam

ETXXJ89
01-20-2014, 10:09 AM
this is going to sound shitty, but I was really hoping to just pop a cam in and to not do a whole bunch of shit.

so is there no way that I can just pop a new cam in and not have to do all that stuff?

sorry but no. not if you want to do it right. you just pop the cam in and if you can get it to start you will be lucky. if it starts and runs the first time you take it over idle youll have bent pushrods or valves and messed up heads and all kinds of other problems. a cam is something you have to do right. you want more power easy? look at bolt ons... cold air kit, exhaust.. throttle body spacer. maybe flash your ECM depending on model.

Save the cam work for when you build a motor. im already trying to figure out how to fit a v8 in my jeep. once I figure it out ill get a block and start building it one piece at a time.