PDA

View Full Version : In bit of a bind here...

ArmyGuy45
01-16-2014, 02:22 AM
So I am 31 days before I leave the Army and I have to ship out the Jeep before hand. My jeep has sprung a radiator leak. I cant seem to find the exact place of the leak but it looks like its the plastic end piece of the radiator next to the battery and it only leaks when under pressure. I know its not coming from the upper hose that connects to the radiator. So do you guys know of any stuff I can put in it to stop the leak? Ill fix it, actually plan to replace with a 3 core since its a 2001, when I get back to the states but for now I need a quick fix. I dunno if I order a new part if it will get here in time to Germany before I leave.

nickyg
01-16-2014, 02:30 AM
I'm no expert but I don't like that stop leak stuff you pour in you radiator. if it can plug up a leak just imagine what it'll do to all the little passages in the motor and heater core. Can you pull the radiator out and have it repaired? or get one from autozone?

ArmyGuy45
01-16-2014, 02:47 AM
I'm no expert but I don't like that stop leak stuff you pour in you radiator. if it can plug up a leak just imagine what it'll do to all the little passages in the motor and heater core. Can you pull the radiator out and have it repaired? or get one from autozone?

I am in Germany so I would have to order parts from the states and hope it gets here in time.

I dunno of any repair shops around here plus I think its the plastic cap on the end of the radiator that is broken and not the metal part.

This is what I would replace it with if we were stateside.

http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/sku/Jeep/Cherokee/CSF/Radiator/2001/CSF2671.html

jimmixj
01-16-2014, 06:41 AM
I've used a product called Alumaseal w good result but truth is when a plastic tanker goes there's not much you can do. May be worth a shot since it doesn't seem you have many choices here.

Brasscatz
01-16-2014, 06:50 AM
"Bar's Leaks" radiator stop leak. It shouldn't gum up the inside of your motor, it's designed to locate the little tiny pinholes and cracks and fill those up.

How bad is it leaking? Is it a steady spray or just a little trickle?

abebehrmann
01-16-2014, 09:20 AM
I've heard lots of people using Bar's Leak with success but I've also seen some pretty terrible looking pictures of Bar's Leak or similar products stopping up cooling passages inside the block. I think I would try all other options before resorting to this.

NW99XJ
01-16-2014, 09:25 AM
ground pepper...seen it work. Temp fix....but it works!

ArmyGuy45
01-16-2014, 09:49 AM
Its a steady stream until the pressure resides. Leaves about a 1ft puddle on the ground when its done dripping.

I am hoping there is a XJ here that I can rip parts off of.

I have heard of using an egg when the motor is cold and when it heats up it will cook the egg and stop the break.

Would a Wrangler radiator work should I not be able to find a XJ?

xj-jake
01-16-2014, 10:14 AM
ground pepper...seen it work. Temp fix....but it works!

X2 on this!! I've used pepper in demo derby cars before works like a charm.

bluedragon436
01-16-2014, 10:27 AM
Where are you located in Germany?? I would say try and see if you can call the jy that is out the back gate of Ramstein or the one up in Baumholder... They both only have vehicles from American's.. Might be mostly BMW's and such that folks have purchased while there in Germany.. but I know when I was there, there were a few XJ's and other Jeeps.. I'm sure there are other yards near bases closer to where you are that you could check as well.. or heck for the matter maybe even Germany yards.. They do have the XJ's there in Germany too, so you might even be able to find a dealership/shop you could pick a radiator up from..

ArmyGuy45
01-16-2014, 10:34 AM
Where are you located in Germany?? I would say try and see if you can call the jy that is out the back gate of Ramstein or the one up in Baumholder... They both only have vehicles from American's.. Might be mostly BMW's and such that folks have purchased while there in Germany.. but I know when I was there, there were a few XJ's and other Jeeps.. I'm sure there are other yards near bases closer to where you are that you could check as well.. or heck for the matter maybe even Germany yards.. They do have the XJ's there in Germany too, so you might even be able to find a dealership/shop you could pick a radiator up from..

Wiesbaden Germany, about an hour from Ramstein. Do you know the names of these jy?

ArmyGuy45
01-16-2014, 10:53 AM
Just dropped a 150 bucks at Autozone.com just in case I dont find anything here locally. I can always return to sender if I do find anything but I am getting short on time.

Does it matter if its right hand drive? I just noticed it on the bill and I didnt see it in the link.

Spectra Premium/Radiator
For your 2001 Jeep Cherokee 4WD 4.0L MFI 6cyl
Alternate Part Number: CU2340
Application: Postal service vehicle (Right hand drive)
Warranty: Limited Lifetime

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/parts/Spectra-Premium-Radiator/2001-Jeep-Cherokee-4WD/_/N-jffs9Z9pdak?itemIdentifier=832921_266534_0_13751

Part Number:

A2340

Weight:

18.1 lbs

Warranty:

Limited Lifetime

Application:

Postal service vehicle (Right hand drive)

Notes:
Does NOT include Radiator Cap. Purchase separately. This radiator has been designed to accommodate automatic and manual transmission vehicles, there is no need to make modifications to your vehicle if it does not use the oil cooler. The oil cooler is a sealed unit by itself, it has no direct contact with the radiator coolant, therefore no leaks will occur if left unplugged.

Core Charge Applicable:

No

Core Material:

Copper

Depth (in):

Height (in):

Inlet Diameter (in):

Installation Hardware Included:

None

Integrated Engine Oil Cooler:

No

Integrated Transmission Oil Cooler:

Yes

Item Grade:

OEM Standard

Outlet Diameter (in):

Package Contents:

Radiator

Style:

Crossflow

Tank Material:

Plastic

Width (in):

4.3LXJ
01-16-2014, 10:57 AM
Not sure on that. But I think there might be a small difference in how the fan shrouds mount. Might want to check that out a little further

ArmyGuy45
01-16-2014, 11:04 AM
Not sure on that. But I think there might be a small difference in how the fan shrouds mount. Might want to check that out a little further

Found one for left hand drive and its cheaper!!

82 bucks!

bluedragon436
01-16-2014, 11:09 AM
So long as the hoses come out at the same position and the trans cooler lines are on the same side of the transmission... that sounds like it would be a good deal.. I would say try to find some way to do it other then the stop leak stuff, especially since it'll be sitting for almost a month by the time you get it back and that stuff would probably jump up all kinds of stuff sitting that long...

Carves
01-16-2014, 05:34 PM
RHD Rad ???

Fan shroud mounts may be different as 4.3LXJ mentioned.

Tranny, heat exchanger lines, are arse about ... i.e. The lines go to the hot side of the rad on a RHD ... which is why I guess, RHDs get given the aux cooler.

ArmyGuy45
01-17-2014, 03:15 AM
It has shipped, lets hope it gets here in time, otherwise, pepper might have to be my solution.

I have found the leak.

(Not my Jeep)

http://i1161.photobucket.com/albums/q520/ArmyGuy1911/cooling2_zps8997a195.jpg

It is where the plastic meets the metal. I dont think I could get anything to seal it unless I was able to spray it in there. Lets hope the radiator gets here fast or the pepper does the trick. Thanks all.

cpttuna
01-17-2014, 10:13 PM
I have some 5 minute plastic welder(tube with the two parts you mix together.) I will mail you a tube if you think this might help. If interested, pm me with an address.

ArmyGuy45
01-17-2014, 11:47 PM
What is the capacity of these radiators? How many jugs of 50/50 antifreeze do I need to get when its empty?

nickyg
01-18-2014, 12:07 AM
I believe 12 quarts. or 11.4 liters in my 4.0

nickyg
01-18-2014, 12:13 AM
OPPS, I should've read your post a lil more carefully. 12 quarts is what mine took when I flushed it out. The capacity of just the radiator? I'm not too sure..
If you have an extra 20 minutes, why not flush the block and heater core out.

ArmyGuy45
01-18-2014, 12:23 AM
OPPS, I should've read your post a lil more carefully. 12 quarts is what mine took when I flushed it out. The capacity of just the radiator? I'm not too sure..
If you have an extra 20 minutes, why not flush the block and heater core out.

I am looking for worst case scenario, where I do the work it is about 15 mins from the part store so I dont want to have to borrow someone to pick up parts for me.

nickyg
01-18-2014, 01:39 AM
O.K, I understand now. Sorry. I'm a lil slow. I blame it on all the paste I ate as a kid.

ArmyGuy45
01-22-2014, 08:29 AM
Seems like I might be getting rid of it now since I rear ended someone and now the front bumper is pushed in and the fender is bent. I am going to try to bend it back by hand to get it to clear the tire.

bluedragon436
01-22-2014, 08:33 AM
I'd say see if you can bend it back out and make it drivable and presentable, ship her home and now you got a trail toy to build up, especially if the radiator shows up in time!!

ArmyGuy45
01-22-2014, 08:50 AM
I'd say see if you can bend it back out and make it drivable and presentable, ship her home and now you got a trail toy to build up, especially if the radiator shows up in time!!

That is what I am hoping for but seems like the stars want me to get rid of this thing for a 98/99 with a better engine and font axle.

ArmyGuy45
01-22-2014, 10:05 AM
Here are the pics:

http://i1161.photobucket.com/albums/q520/ArmyGuy1911/1_zps651d83e1.jpg

http://i1161.photobucket.com/albums/q520/ArmyGuy1911/2_zpsf4c89bff.jpg

http://i1161.photobucket.com/albums/q520/ArmyGuy1911/3_zps7e5ab7dc.jpg

http://i1161.photobucket.com/albums/q520/ArmyGuy1911/4_zps3e2e4dae.jpg

http://i1161.photobucket.com/albums/q520/ArmyGuy1911/5_zps9d6ba1c4.jpg

This is not how I wanted to celebrate my birthday... go me.

4.3LXJ
01-22-2014, 10:25 AM
That isn't bad. You can still keep that and work on it back in the states

ArmyGuy45
01-22-2014, 10:26 AM
That isn't bad. You can still keep that and work on it back in the states

Do you think it will ship (once I replace the radiator)?

4.3LXJ
01-22-2014, 10:29 AM
I don't know all the shipping rules for those. (I was an explosives loading expert in the service) But if it doesn't leak I don't see why not. Remember, to drive it a few feet on the loading dock you could do that completely empty of coolant if you needed to.

ArmyGuy45
01-23-2014, 06:00 AM
I don't know all the shipping rules for those. (I was an explosives loading expert in the service) But if it doesn't leak I don't see why not. Remember, to drive it a few feet on the loading dock you could do that completely empty of coolant if you needed to.

Talked to them today. I will not ship. The bumper needs to be replaced (since it is flaking and cracked) and the leak needs to be fixed. The turn signal plastic needs to be replaced and the mount for the fog light replaced. Seems like I have to part ways with it and get another XJ.

jimmixj
01-23-2014, 07:48 AM
Dang Matt, I'm sorry to hear how that turned out. Don't despair tho; there are a bunch of XJs just waiting for someone to love them right here in the US of A! That was a nice looking unit tho, and all that stuff you bent needed to come off anyway! :bacondance: BTW, Welcome Home!!!!

ArmyGuy45
01-30-2014, 10:24 AM
Good news!!

I can ship the Jeep now. I bent the bumper to straightish and replaced the radiator and they will take it. Just needs to be clean.

Thanks cpttuna for the welding material. Though we didnt use it on the new radiator it helped sealing up the small leak next to the water pump!

What I do need to know is where is the EPA stick on our Jeeps? I apparently dont have one and I need it to ship.