PDA

View Full Version : The Complete Wheeling kit

Pookapotamus
01-13-2014, 05:55 PM
So, since I have not done much to Mortis :xj-yellow: in the last few months, I have been thinking of making up my Wheeling kit to put into Mortis, Then I figured we could all chip in and come up with a much more complete list, and everyone can compare their kit and add to it if they want to. Plus newbies will have a reference for a place to start building their own kits.

So here is the deal, please post any item that you carry in your kit that is not currently on the list and I will update the List here to contain all the items.
If you have unique items please include a description, ie. I carry a hammer handle (that the head snapped off of) that I use for linking two tow straps together with so that they do not tighten onto each other.

After typing what I could think of in my kit methinks it might be nice to have a list of whats in the first few things on this list.:rolleyes:

The Complete Wheeling Kit List:
-First aid Kit
-Extra Fluids
-Tools
-Spare parts
-Emergency Food
-Emergency Clothes
-Tow strap
-Tree saver
-Snatch block
-Folding snow shovel
-Axe
-Hatchet
-Tire plug kit
-Tire pressure gauge
-Air hose
-Gear Aid (first aid kit for repairing gear, ie. velcro srtaps)
-Gorilla tape
-Tin Tape
-Shackles
-Hammer Handle (tow strap joining)
-Winch Controller
-Spool of wire
-Bungee Cords
-Zip ties
-Gaiters
-Matches
-Jack all
-Buck saw
-Jumper Cables
-Camera
-Cell phone
-Garbage Bags (tread lightly jeeple!:D)
-Rope
-Tarp
-Deflator
-Long handled shovel
-Toilet paper
-Hand sanitizer
-Feminine products (be a good hubby and have emergency supplies for your gal!)

Oh and feel free to let me know what you think of this list, or if I am just being a knob!

bad luck
01-13-2014, 06:23 PM
Good list. except I don't know about gators, maybe the guys in Florida and Louisiana have access to them. I'm kinda glad that I don't. But seriously are shackles needed do you think? I know some people carry spares of everything but I prefer to do a good check on the jeep ahead of time and not carry too many spare parts.

Carves
01-13-2014, 06:32 PM
Fairly comprehensive list.

I dont think you're being a knob ... Ive carried more on occaision ... as it generally depends on the trip requirements.

I would recommend a proper, long handle shovel, tho - rather than, IMHO :o ... those useless little, fold up things ...

Pookapotamus
01-13-2014, 07:38 PM
Good list. except I don't know about gators, maybe the guys in Florida and Louisiana have access to them. I'm kinda glad that I don't. But seriously are shackles needed do you think? I know some people carry spares of everything but I prefer to do a good check on the jeep ahead of time and not carry too many spare parts.

sorry that's my bad spelling it should have been gaiters. yes I always carry shackles as it the best way to connect the tow strap to the bumper, I never use the strap into the hitch receiver because it could cut the strap.

Pook

Pookapotamus
01-13-2014, 07:39 PM
Fairly comprehensive list.

I dont think you're being a knob ... Ive carried more on occaision ... as it generally depends on the trip requirements.

I would recommend a proper, long handle shovel, tho - rather than, IMHO :o ... those useless little, fold up things ...

Yes! A long handled shovel would be best, mine it the colapsable snow shovel variety.

Thanks

pook

Brasscatz
01-13-2014, 09:59 PM
Great thread idea and great post Pook!

Firemanray
01-13-2014, 10:16 PM
That's a great list. I was missing several of them items this last weekend and ended up playing "McGyver" to fix the problems.

XJ Wheeler
01-13-2014, 11:07 PM
Nicely thought out pook. I always try to be prepared, and this gives me a few ideas.

Oh, and don't forget supplies when nature calls. :D

Sent via messenger pigeon - i talk, he types.

Pookapotamus
01-14-2014, 09:09 AM
That's a great list. I was missing several of them items this last weekend and ended up playing "McGyver" to fix the problems.

Was Mcgyver's theme song playing in your head the whole time???:banana:

Pookapotamus
01-14-2014, 09:10 AM
OMFG!! How could I forget shit tickets??? Thanks Jake!

4.3LXJ
01-14-2014, 10:05 AM
You forgot grease rags too. Also glass cleaner and paper towels. Used daily when we wheel so we can see out the windshield

cantab27
01-14-2014, 09:54 PM
I just carry a spare jeep........:D

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/1024x768q90/18/93668310152764091110322.jpg (https://imageshack.com/i/0i93668310152764091110322j)

nickyg
01-14-2014, 10:08 PM
I was gonna comment that your brake lights are on with no one behind the wheel. Then I remembered That your right hand drive down there in middle earth.
But what's the stick for? you must be this tall to ride in the jeep?

nickyg
01-14-2014, 10:12 PM
You gotta post a video of you riding that barbie jeep down a hill. Don't forget to wear pads and a helmet... Gosh I can't get that picture out of my head now.

cantab27
01-14-2014, 10:12 PM
I was gonna comment that your brake lights are on with no one behind the wheel. Then I remembered That your right hand drive down there in middle earth.
But what's the stick for? you must be this tall to ride in the jeep?

what are these brake things you speak of ......:D

sitting in the gate waiting for my turn on that stage ... winching completion ...

;)

denverd1
01-15-2014, 02:50 PM
Great list. I might add sterno fuel cell just in case!

I can't wrap my head around how a hammer handle would be useful.... someone help me out.

Would flares make it on your list?

Pookapotamus
01-15-2014, 05:27 PM

Pookapotamus
01-15-2014, 05:29 PM
Thanks for all the input, I have updated the first post

Pookapotamus
01-15-2014, 05:34 PM
Great list. I might add sterno fuel cell just in case!

I can't wrap my head around how a hammer handle would be useful.... someone help me out.

Would flares make it on your list?

sterno fuel cell???

The hammer handle is simple but kinda hard to explain. when you join two tow straps together, you first thread the end of one strap through the eye of the second, then put the handle into the fist eye and pull tight. it is super strong but easily comes apart, and is light enough that is does not turn into a missle like a shackle would if one strap breaks, and comes apart easily.

i will try to take a pic to explain. http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=le7SiVeLAUg here is a video link buddy explains it. his third method is very similar, but with a handle (instead of a towel) you only have to pass the eye through the second eye once, so its a little quicker.

here this vid is exactly it, but with one strap. http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=cLVVcMvv_Qg

denverd1
01-16-2014, 09:56 AM
sterno:
Amazon.com: Sterno 7-Ounce Entertainment Cooking Fuel, 6-Pack: Kitchen & Dining@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51VGUMBfHyL.@@AMEPARAM@@51VGUMBfHyL

light it and it burns for 6 hours I think? would be great to light wet wood or just heat up an area. like a jeep if you had to sleep in it. Their used with chaffing dishes to keep food warm.

I gotcha on the hammer handle. makes sense

cantab27
01-16-2014, 10:40 AM
magazine / stick does same trick as hammer handle

abebehrmann
01-16-2014, 12:46 PM
This might be a stupid idea, but whenever I go on any sort of trip, I always make sure to zip-tie a spare key somewhere under my vehicle in case I lose or lock my keys inside.

Pookapotamus
01-16-2014, 01:10 PM
Sterno is definitely a must!

as well as the spare key!

Pookapotamus
01-16-2014, 01:12 PM
WTF??? I cant edit my first post any more?? Tony please help

cpttuna
01-17-2014, 04:00 PM
Bottom line: If you ain't got it with you, it is difficult to _ _ _ _ it.

gary63
01-18-2014, 12:57 PM
I take 2 board to use under tires or if I have to lay under the jeep on sharp rocks it is nice to have a flat spot to lay parts too.

cantab27
01-19-2014, 11:57 PM
didnt see on list ...but a must have

http://i469.photobucket.com/albums/rr52/cantab27/jeepin%20and%20bits/waterrat008.jpg (http://s469.photobucket.com/user/cantab27/media/jeepin%20and%20bits/waterrat008.jpg.html)

nickyg
01-20-2014, 12:47 AM
Why would you want to take a crusty old air filter with you? Oh, I see...A fire bottle. Good call.

cantab27
01-20-2014, 01:12 AM
air filter still good for another 50000 miles

XJ Wheeler
01-20-2014, 01:23 AM
Just needs a good whack to get the crud out! :D

ETXXJ89
01-20-2014, 12:25 PM
glow sticks, bic lighters, flint and steel. space blanket. saw, hatchet (tomahawk machete) 550 paracord. work lights flashlights, spare batteries, steel wool.

XJ Wheeler
01-20-2014, 10:01 PM
Another came to mind, and its not really something you pack in your rig... a buddy with a comparably capable rig. The buddy system applies to wheeling too! Of course this isn't always possible but is always the better way to wheel.

DanXJ97
08-17-2014, 11:22 AM
Just about have to pull a trailer to haul everything lol. :rolleyes:

denverd1
08-19-2014, 01:13 PM
kinda glad this got resurrected, I had forgotten about it.

last comment makes me think, "how do you guys keep all this crap organized and stowed?"

so post up you cargo area ideas. Molle systems, whatever. I wanna see a bunch of shit very neatly organized!!

Rocco83
08-19-2014, 02:16 PM
I'm in the stages of planning mine now. Going to have something like 4"x4" hog panels trimmed to go along the sides and behind the back seat to the ceiling so I can hang and clip things to it. The "frame" of it will be made of the same tubing I use when I get around to caging the XJ so it'll be easier to tie in.

Dredwolf
08-20-2014, 09:53 PM
The storage thing is a great idea.

My crafty wife has been using Pinterest for all of her arts/crafts things, and seems to always find an example of whatever she is dreaming up to show me with it.

I just tried searching for an XJ organizer....

http://www.pinterest.com/pin/60094976252170174/

Think I will dig more through this....

Rocco83
08-20-2014, 09:56 PM
I kind of like that. Not sure if I'd like the weight that would add though. That thing looks solid built and heavy as hell.

Dredwolf
08-20-2014, 10:08 PM
I kind of like that. Not sure if I'd like the weight that would add though. That thing looks solid built and heavy as hell.

Looks like a mix of plywood and board lumber, may not be that bad.

I must have missed this Pinterest thing, lots of interesting stuff....

http://www.pinterest.com/pin/278801033155951247/

Matt over at BleepinJeep did a rack on the Zombie rig....

http://youtu.be/cV8sT_04AQ4

bluedragon436
08-20-2014, 10:09 PM

I do like that design, but think I would go with some lighter weight building materials for it... That is a good place to look for some ideas though sometimes..

Rocco83
08-20-2014, 10:21 PM
I'd probably want to make it so it was somehow integrated into a cage to make it multipurpose and have the weight mean something.

denverd1
09-05-2014, 02:18 PM
Rocco that's an interesting concept integrating storage into a cage. Cage is on my laundry list as well