PDA

View Full Version : Drove my new (old) Jeep home today...

OldFaurt
01-11-2014, 05:41 PM
Well, I brought my new baby home today, Front wheel drive, but Home just the same!
So now I am just another Jeep nut,
loosed upon the world with the fury of 6, reasonably small bits of aluminum,
slamming from 1 end of their tiny universe to the other,
all the while, making LIFE as we know it... Much More Fun!
My new Lovely:
1992 XJ
4.0L straight 6
AW4 Automatic
NP231 Transfer case
Bridgestone All terrain LT 32"
Safari Rack
Bushwacker flairs
Bed-liner for paint
4X4 ...? Front wheel drive!
The drive shaft is... well...
It Did not play well with others and is now in Time Out!
2" Rubber coupler,
1.5" PVC Cap,
2 large hose clamps keep the go goo in the TC.
I cut the fins off the broken Slip Joint housing,
filed it smooth and Corked the little Bugger!
Then gave her a drink of Tranny red wine!
Need to replace guts in rear differential,
Pinion gear is buck-toothed and missing a few!

Yup! That's my Beautiful baby!

Anyone have a spare, original rear end... Cheap?

4.3LXJ
01-11-2014, 08:34 PM
Glad you got it home. I would suggest getting a new tcase at the pick and pull. That will be cheaper than buying the parts to fix it. Take a pic of the rear end pumpkin so we know what you have, but I suspect it is a D35. It would be better if you could upgrade to a 98 and up Chrysler 8.25. It is much stronger and a bolt in.

OldFaurt
01-11-2014, 08:56 PM
That is what I was wondering! About the 98 8.25...
The transfer case is in good shape, just need to install a SYE to make it safer/durable.
What should I expect to pay for a 98ish differential?
I am limited on funds until I sell my motorcycle.
I guess I am going to be pretty active on :xjtalk:
While I get my XJ together.
Then I need to install my ham radio gear.

I chose this jeep because it had some of the accessories I intended on putting on and well...
The price was hard to beat for a drive home Jeep! $1200.

Thank you by the way for the very good advice!

OldFaurt
01-11-2014, 09:07 PM
Glad you got it home. I would suggest getting a new tcase at the pick and pull. That will be cheaper than buying the parts to fix it. Take a pic of the rear end pumpkin so we know what you have, but I suspect it is a D35. It would be better if you could upgrade to a 98 and up Chrysler 8.25. It is much stronger and a bolt in.

I will do a Photo essay on what I did to get it home and of the assorted ID bits so that you and other can guide me better on my new journey! I have to say, I am very excited! I am a bit of a nerd... So I will be happy to document my travels through the upgrades, repairs and fun! That way others can benefit!

4.3LXJ
01-12-2014, 01:07 AM
The local guys can tell you which wrecking yard to visit. I know there are some good deals at some of the pick and pulls there

jimmixj
01-12-2014, 09:08 AM
Hi Bob,
I have a Chrysler 8.25 rear axle from my 92 sitting in my garage. Its 3:55 gear open diff and it's FREE! However, it is in Tucson, AZ. If you happen to be close it's yours. PM me if you want it. Good luck with your Cher(ished)Okee!

OldFaurt
01-12-2014, 11:11 AM
Hi Bob,
I have a Chrysler 8.25 rear axle from my 92 sitting in my garage. Its 3:55 gear open diff and it's FREE! However, it is in Tucson, AZ. If you happen to be close it's yours. PM me if you want it. Good luck with your Cher(ished)Okee!

Thank you!
That would be great...
If I didn't live about a thousand miles away in Katy Texas!
But that is a very kind offer!
Just goes to show, 4 Wheelers are the nicest people!
I am getting ready to pull mine open in the garage to see how bad the carnage is...
This could be PRETTY UGLY in there! I will post pics soon as I get to that point!

bigjim350
01-12-2014, 11:19 AM
You can get a 8.25 complete from drum to drum for less than $200 at the pick and pull. The place I prefer is houstonpullyourpart.com

Sent from my SPH-L300 using Tapatalk 2

Mudderoy
01-12-2014, 02:20 PM
Thank you!
That would be great...
If I didn't live about a thousand miles away in Katy Texas!
But that is a very kind offer!
Just goes to show, 4 Wheelers are the nicest people!
I am getting ready to pull mine open in the garage to see how bad the carnage is...
This could be PRETTY UGLY in there! I will post pics soon as I get to that point!

You may already be aware, but the 97+ Chrysler 8.25 is 29 spline whereas the prior are 27.

ArmyGuy45
01-12-2014, 02:22 PM
Pics or it didn't happen.

OldFaurt
01-12-2014, 06:13 PM
The local guys can tell you which wrecking yard to visit. I know there are some good deals at some of the pick and pulls there

Good Afternoon,
Figured out what made clunk in the trunk!http://i1186.photobucket.com/albums/z367/weirdshots/Parts_is_parts.jpg

The axle is marked,

DANA
346 1
REV - E
03 - 16 - 91

So, I am thinking DANA 35!

RRXJeeper71
01-12-2014, 07:32 PM
pics!!!!

XJ Wheeler
01-12-2014, 07:46 PM
Probably so! Good thing is unless you're fixing that one it doesn't matter as much. Except the driveshaft, which is specific to each axle (35 or 8.25). Like everyone has said '97+ 8.25. Now, I've been looking for some time now and no luck, but you might be blessed with a limited slip. But, where we live they're few and far in between front what i've found. Good thing is the majority of '97+ XJs have the 8.25 rear axle.

A few things to know. You will need new u-bolts to bolt it up because the axle tube is larger on the 8.25, plus you really shouldn't reuse old ones. Grab the driveshaft from the vehicle you get the axle from, and probably go ahead and rebuild it while its out. And finally you'll need to know what to look for. The 8.25 has larger axle tubes than the 35, as well as the pumpkin is considerably larger. The 8.25 has a squared off flange sticking below the diff cover. And the 8.25 has four prongs that stick up on the housing above the pinion. I'll grab a pic to show these examples.

Sent via messenger pigeon - i talk, he types.

XJ Wheeler
01-12-2014, 08:04 PM
The prongs

http://i1108.photobucket.com/albums/h401/xj-wheeler/2011-12-06193254.jpg

http://i1108.photobucket.com/albums/h401/xj-wheeler/Tech%20Info/C825indentifier-1.jpg

4.3LXJ
01-12-2014, 08:09 PM
Yes, lets see some pics. You have one too many spider gears there.

OldFaurt
01-12-2014, 08:26 PM
Oops, Wrong place!
How did I do that?

meant to reply...

OldFaurt
01-12-2014, 08:34 PM
OK... OK...

Before the cork...
http://i1186.photobucket.com/albums/z367/weirdshots/Bobs_new_jeep4.jpg
Here is the cork...
http://i1186.photobucket.com/albums/z367/weirdshots/Cork.jpg
Old home...
http://i1186.photobucket.com/albums/z367/weirdshots/Bobs_new_jeep28.jpg
New home, 56 miles away...
http://i1186.photobucket.com/albums/z367/weirdshots/MyJeep_sm-1.jpg
What I found in the DANA 35... Notice 2 1/2? Yeah 2 1/2 was a crowd!
http://i1186.photobucket.com/albums/z367/weirdshots/Parts_is_parts.jpg

Um... it's quieter now

Mudderoy
01-12-2014, 08:34 PM
Yes, lets see some pics. You have one too many spider gears there.

What a horrible place to store a spare! :smiley-laughing021:

OldFaurt
01-12-2014, 08:39 PM
Did a great job on the pinion as well, Ring gear "Looks" good but who would want to run a used ring gear with a new pinion? I took out the spiders so the rear axle would free-wheel. It now does MUCH quieter than before, Front wheel drive seems to be just find and there is NO rear drive shaft vibration... It sat on the floor of the garage all day and not a wiggle!

Firemanray
01-12-2014, 08:41 PM
That's a good looking Xj, is that "hot rod flat black" paint?

OldFaurt
01-12-2014, 08:45 PM
I will be checking them out!
I need the vehicle to get to work, so I am motivated!

OldFaurt
01-12-2014, 08:48 PM
Nope!
Golf ball principle!
The whole truck was done in... Wait for it...
Bedliner!

Easy scratch repair at least!

Mudderoy
01-12-2014, 09:17 PM
Nope!
Golf ball principle!
The whole truck was done in... Wait for it...
Bedliner!

Easy scratch repair at least!

OrangeXJ was the same way, except orange! He's since sold it.

OldFaurt
01-12-2014, 09:27 PM
Yeah, Like others have mentioned, Odd place to store spares!
Or in this case, reminders...

Ouchy!

jimmixj
01-13-2014, 08:40 AM
You can get a 8.25 complete from drum to drum for less than $200 at the pick and pull. The place I prefer is houstonpullyourpart.com

Sent from my SPH-L300 using Tapatalk 2

Come to think of it that's why there is an open diff 8.25 sitting in my garage; bought an 8.25 with Limited Slip for 189.00 + tx! LOL:D Our PullaPart (and, I imagine most such places) doesn't make a distinction between what is in the housing so a little careful shopping can net a gem! Good Luck!

xj-jake
01-14-2014, 12:18 PM
Probably so! Good thing is unless you're fixing that one it doesn't matter as much. Except the driveshaft, which is specific to each axle (35 or 8.25). Like everyone has said '97+ 8.25. Now, I've been looking for some time now and no luck, but you might be blessed with a limited slip. But, where we live they're few and far in between front what i've found. Good thing is the majority of '97+ XJs have the 8.25 rear axle.

A few things to know. You will need new u-bolts to bolt it up because the axle tube is larger on the 8.25, plus you really shouldn't reuse old ones. Grab the driveshaft from the vehicle you get the axle from, and probably go ahead and rebuild it while its out. And finally you'll need to know what to look for. The 8.25 has larger axle tubes than the 35, as well as the pumpkin is considerably larger. The 8.25 has a squared off flange sticking below the diff cover. And the 8.25 has four prongs that stick up on the housing above the pinion. I'll grab a pic to show these examples.

Not trying to hijack the thread here but I was told that the d shaft is interchangeable as long as you're not sitting at stock height? Can someone chime in here and correct me if I'm wrong?

denverd1
01-14-2014, 12:47 PM
Ya done good for 1200! couple parts in the drivetrain and you're back in business

OldFaurt
01-14-2014, 06:27 PM
Ya done good for 1200! couple parts in the drivetrain and you're back in business

I am looking forward to the process...
I really like the drive train, it is not the toughest, but properly built, it can do a really good job. One just needs to remember the limitations. Of course you CAN pump this rig up with a really massive aftermarket.

That said... Mine looks like it has been, Well... Used, A lot!
Well, I wanted a fixer upper! I did a great job finding it!