PDA

View Full Version : LED light bar wiring?

XJ Wheeler
01-08-2014, 03:39 PM
I recently got a 13.5" LED light bar as a gift and am trying my best to figure out how best to power the thing since it didn't come with any wiring (other than the two leads coming out of the housing).

It is a 72w light and in my calculations it should draw 6 amps... Now i get the math and understand the principle but something doesn't seem right to me. I know i've seen 55w lights with 15-20 amp fuses stuck in there and my Hella 500s came with wiring that used a relay. But using the same math it would only require 9.2amps and that's not even close to needing a relay. Are those wrong or are fuses something that is best to use a slightly higher rated fuse like a relay? Also, i forgot to look at my supply but what size wire would be adequate to do this in? The leads coming out of the housing looks to be 14 gauge(?). I know wire is something you can go overkill as much as you want but running multiple bigger wires than needed can lead to a space issue and i have many wires already.

Electrical is something i struggle with learning so pardon me if this is an easy issue, i just want to be sure.

Sent via messenger pigeon - i talk, he types.

4.3LXJ
01-08-2014, 03:44 PM
14 ga is plenty. that size wire will handle 20 amps. You could use a good quality switch for this if you wanted and not use a relay. Gonna have a podcast for this too, but don't know when it will be aired. Carling Switches are the best. Those are rated for 10 amps, well within what you will need. If you use a good switch, you won't need a relay for this. If you use a fuse, 20 amps to go with the 14 ga wiring would be ideal

NW99XJ
01-08-2014, 03:54 PM
14 ga is plenty. that size wire will handle 20 amps. You could use a good quality switch for this if you wanted and not use a relay. Gonna have a podcast for this too, but don't know when it will be aired. Carling Switches are the best. Those are rated for 10 amps, well within what you will need. If you use a good switch, you won't need a relay for this. If you use a fuse, 20 amps to go with the 14 ga wiring would be ideal

Agreed on all points.

XJ Wheeler
01-08-2014, 04:39 PM
I actually had a switch in mind. One like this, except the version i can find locally. 20 amps so it should work.

http://www.parts-express.com/nte-54-645-b-spst-round-hole-square-bezel-illuminated-rocker-switch-with-blue-2v-led--060-930?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=pla

So, explain a little further please. You're saying i can run a 20a fuse on a light that (as calculated) only requires 6a? Or saying a 20a switch to go with the 14 gauge? And the 14 gauge is just what i think it is coming out of the light, i'd like to run just above where adequate is. I.e. if 18 gauge is what would be minimally required i would run 16 gauge. Kind of a slight overkill without over doing it.

4.3LXJ
01-08-2014, 05:44 PM
That is just matching the fuse to the 14 ga wire

XJ Wheeler
01-08-2014, 06:42 PM
That is just matching the fuse to the 14 ga wire

But wouldn't all of that (wire/fuse/switch) need to be chosen according to the power draw of whatever the item(s) is/are in need of wiring?

Sorry if i'm making this more complicated than it needs to be.

4.3LXJ
01-08-2014, 07:42 PM
You as a general rule match the fuse to the wiring size. If the device draws less power, so what? The only exception is if the device needs to be fused for its own safety with a lesser amperage

XJ Wheeler
01-08-2014, 07:58 PM
You as a general rule match the fuse to the wiring size. If the device draws less power, so what? The only exception is if the device needs to be fused for its own safety with a lesser amperage

That, the last thing you said, is what i was getting hung up on. I didn't want to harm the light by allowing more power to surge to it. But from what your telling me that shouldn't be a problem? So then what qualifies a device to be fused with lesser amperage?

4.3LXJ
01-08-2014, 08:24 PM
Things like stereos for instance that have a 5 amp fuse in them to keep them from burning up due to stuff like shorts in speaker wires

XJ Wheeler
01-08-2014, 08:59 PM
Okay, i think i got it... Maybe

So, to summarize i'm good to basically copy the wiring on the light (guessing 14 gauge) with a fuse to match the capability of the wiring and a 20a switch?

4.3LXJ
01-08-2014, 09:46 PM
Yup

XJ Wheeler
01-08-2014, 09:52 PM
Yup

Perfect, thanks a ton Steve!

I'll follow with pics of this thing lit up when i get there. :D

TeXJ
01-18-2014, 11:27 AM

Which one?

4.3LXJ
01-18-2014, 01:53 PM
Which one?

It will be when Tony works it in. He has it now and it will be broad cast, but not sure when

TeXJ
01-18-2014, 04:12 PM
It will be when Tony works it in. He has it now and it will be broad cast, but not sure when

aww ok, I wasnt sure if you did your own or did a part in Tony's/josh's.

XJ Wheeler
01-18-2014, 04:49 PM
Some pics of it.

http://i1108.photobucket.com/albums/h401/xj-wheeler/Stormy%202/2014-01-11233434.jpg

http://i1108.photobucket.com/albums/h401/xj-wheeler/Stormy%202/GOPR0073_1389520351324_high.jpg

http://i1108.photobucket.com/albums/h401/xj-wheeler/Stormy%202/2014-01-11235509.jpg

http://i1108.photobucket.com/albums/h401/xj-wheeler/Stormy%202/GOPR0074_1389520325677_high-1.jpg

Should have video of the output soon.

ETXXJ89
01-19-2014, 05:35 PM
is that the 12" light bar from rough country?

XJ Wheeler
01-19-2014, 05:53 PM
is that the 12" light bar from rough country?

Nah, its a 13.5". I got it from the seller "SCLights" on ebay out of California. The last time i checked they had them for $87 now.

ETXXJ89
01-19-2014, 05:56 PM
dang that's a good buy. itd pick up 2 or 3 for that price but on mine that would be putting the horse before the cart. LOL first things first new caliper and tires

XJ Wheeler
01-19-2014, 06:02 PM
Lol, i know exactly what ya mean. Done that far too many times.

Here's a link in case you want it.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/72W-13-5-Led-Light-Bar-WORK-light-off-road-light-4wd-boat-flood-/261318802427?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3cd7d07bfb

ETXXJ89
01-19-2014, 06:05 PM
thanks for the link. oh I also need a taillight. its not the bulb and its not the fuse. I got juice all the way up into the light. ive seen some LED taillights on some jeeps and im gonna look into a set of those

XJ Wheeler
01-19-2014, 07:40 PM
thanks for the link. oh I also need a taillight. its not the bulb and its not the fuse. I got juice all the way up into the light. ive seen some LED taillights on some jeeps and im gonna look into a set of those

Sounds like a grounding issue if you've got power up to the light and its a good bulb.

The steel tail light boxes with led lights are the only ones offered. You could make your own tail lights or custom mount some leds in yours if you're feeling adventurous. :D

ETXXJ89
01-19-2014, 07:57 PM
Sounds like a grounding issue if you've got power up to the light and its a good bulb.

The steel tail light boxes with led lights are the only ones offered. You could make your own tail lights or custom mount some leds in yours if you're feeling adventurous. :D

if I take the right side out and put on left it works if I put left on right it still don't work idk.......

what do you mean steel boxes with leds? how much. im adventurous but pretty sure I don't have tools or patience to make own and make it look good lol

prerunner1982
01-19-2014, 08:02 PM
if I take the right side out and put on left it works if I put left on right it still don't work idk.......

what do you mean steel boxes with leds? how much. im adventurous but pretty sure I don't have tools or patience to make own and make it look good lol

Something like this..

http://www.jcroffroad.com/mm5/graphics/00000001/96downTailLightBoxesNew_3.jpg

ETXXJ89
01-19-2014, 08:09 PM
that's what I want. where can I get them at?

XJ Wheeler
01-19-2014, 08:13 PM

The pic Jon put up shows the tail light boxes offered by jcr. There's a couple other manufacturers that have some as well.

And there's always the option of gutting your stock ones and mounting some light assemblies inside... ones like big rigs use. I did it with my front turn signals.

ETXXJ89
01-19-2014, 10:01 PM
......offered by jcr. There's a couple other manufacturers that have some as well.

And there's always the option of gutting your stock ones and mounting some light assemblies inside... ones like big rigs use. I did it with my front turn signals.

who is JCR? I have tons of those lights from off the trucks. im a truck driver I got a box full of spare lights.....not sure I could pull it off though...if I had sheet metal and a mig instead of my cracker box id try to make my own.

prerunner1982
01-19-2014, 10:13 PM
Www.jcroffroad.com

XJ Wheeler
01-19-2014, 11:48 PM
who is JCR? I have tons of those lights from off the trucks. im a truck driver I got a box full of spare lights.....not sure I could pull it off though...if I had sheet metal and a mig instead of my cracker box id try to make my own.

Its a bit of work if you have the tools but personally i just like making things for mine so i think its worth it. You shouldn't need to weld them up a ton if you can get a friend to do it or borrow the welding gun for a few minutes.

Here's some that may give you some ideas. Personally i would make them out of thicker metal though, but he was using free material.

http://www.xjtalk.com/showthread.php?t=15809

ETXXJ89
01-20-2014, 10:23 AM
that's a good write up. I was thinking of using 1/4 plate steel but that's a lot of weight. I have those exact lights he is using. I don't know I may try and see what I can come up with. my neighbors are all pipeliners/ oil field and bring home work trucks with migs on them. LOL let me see if I cant round up some materials.

XJ Wheeler
01-20-2014, 04:19 PM
Sounds like a plan! Be sure to let us in on what happens.

XJ Wheeler
02-18-2014, 08:27 AM
Finally got a video done of the LED lightbar... but it stinks! I took several videos before we left home and ran out of time so I dealt with what I had. Resolution sucks and everything looks dimmer than it actually is but here you guys go. Sorry it took so long.

http://youtu.be/2mVhzgbpj_4

ETXXJ89
02-23-2014, 10:06 AM
looks good, really digging that light bar. its bright.

XJ Wheeler
02-24-2014, 08:50 AM
looks good, really digging that light bar. its bright.

Yeah, I am extremely happy with it! One problem though... I want more! :cop:

Philxj4L
03-31-2014, 09:04 AM
Just catching up on this thread. Re wiring for LEDs, basically,what everyone has said, an addition to that, most good quality bars are pretty bullet proof,mainly due to the chips only being driven at 90% of their actual potential. This allows the 5 year + lifespan and also allows for any unwanted power surge issues. :)
this is what you get with 60" of Cree LED bars (40" single row + 20" double row. 320w) FYI, both on single switch + 40A relay. I also run Cree LED headlights, hence the blue/white light from XJ headlights.

http://youtu.be/mDiu7JBKqvw

xj-jake
04-02-2014, 06:16 PM
You do know you're driving on the wrong side of the road.... JK looks nice I am waiting for my mount to show up so I can put the 42" on the roof.

Philxj4L
04-03-2014, 05:19 AM
You do know you're driving on the wrong side of the road.... JK looks nice I am waiting for my mount to show up so I can put the 42" on the roof.

Hahaha, yeah, that's been mentioned before. We're a bit odd like that in the UK. :D

XJ Wheeler
04-03-2014, 07:15 AM
Just catching up on this thread. Re wiring for LEDs, basically,what everyone has said, an addition to that, most good quality bars are pretty bullet proof,mainly due to the chips only being driven at 90% of their actual potential. This allows the 5 year + lifespan and also allows for any unwanted power surge issues. :)
this is what you get with 60" of Cree LED bars (40" single row + 20" double row. 320w) FYI, both on single switch + 40A relay. I also run Cree LED headlights, hence the blue/white light from XJ headlights.

http://youtu.be/mDiu7JBKqvw

Wow, looks nice. I'm hoping to add another in a month or two when I get back home. Thanks for sharing.