PDA

View Full Version : Tip request - winching

denverd1
01-07-2014, 09:55 AM
Wheeling BMRA a few weeks back, jeep died after dropping off a pretty big ledge. Was with a buddy who had a winch and so did I. Poked around to see if it was something simple and couldn't get it fired up. So out comes the recovery gear. This was my friend's first wheeling trip. We were having a blast! Rest of the group called it a day, we decided to hit one more trail.

So we start lining things up to pull me out. We did a couple of things wrong: pulled the cable first and hooked up to me. then we decided to reposition his rig. Backing up the two ledges I just came down. He gunned it. If I was standing about 2 feet forward, I would've had a broken leg - at least. yanked my rig back about three feet and popped the piss out of cable - didn't break it, just tightened it up in a split second. I got away with a love tap on the hand that still hurts a bit.

SO! I've been wheeling for a couple years now and really never needed to pull or get pulled out. I thought it would be a good thing for Steve to discuss in an upcoming Jeep tips segment. Proper, safe winching. The forces involved can be pretty significant and our safety should always be top priority! I learned that first! you position the winching rig WAY before you pull the cable. and i'm sure there are other things that are important that I'd rather not learn the hard way. Do you know how to winch yourself out backwards? Couple of d rings and snatch blocks are all ya need! (saw a vid of it the other day). Maybe Steve can share some safe winching tips with the group on the XJ Talkshow Podcast?

Tony and Josh, keep rockin fellas! :bacondance:
:xjtalk:

mudslut
01-07-2014, 10:08 AM
good idea..... tow straps- winch blocks- winches- and all.......cool stuff that can kill u

4.3LXJ
01-07-2014, 10:11 AM
We had one back in the dark ages on winching, but we can do it again. I will make one up and Tony can work it in.

Firemanray
01-07-2014, 10:23 AM
You're not wheeling hard enough if you haven't needed a winch in 2 years!! :D

I probably wouldn't be one to get "good" advice from. I've defied the laws of physics (and good sense) using my winch. I have pulled myself out backwards without block and tackle set ups and done some other things I can't even find words to describe. The key thing is to respect the cable!!! My company deals with cable and rigging every day so I have learned the behaviour and limitations of working with cable. I am prone to some pretty crazy stuff with a winch but I always make sure to keep human life away from the stupid stuff.

denverd1
01-07-2014, 10:41 AM
You're not wheeling hard enough if you haven't needed a winch in 2 years!! :D.

Ray, my Jeep's RED. Winch is almost a waste of $$$!

Firemanray
01-07-2014, 10:46 AM
Ray, my Jeep's RED. Winch is almost a waste of $$$!

Mine used to be red, just meant it wasn't scared to try anything, didn't mean it was always a good idea!!

nickyg
01-07-2014, 11:21 AM
Good Idea, I too am unwise in the ways of the winch.

xj-jake
01-07-2014, 12:01 PM
Sounds like a great idea. One can never be too safe and you'd hate to have the things that are supposed to help you out of a bad situation be the things that put you in an even worse one..

cantab27
01-07-2014, 02:12 PM
whats a winch .........don't need one never get stuck.....

:smiley-taunt002:

denverd1
01-07-2014, 02:28 PM
:smiley-laughing021:

mudslut
01-07-2014, 03:08 PM
:smiley-laughing021: go big but always be safe :patriot:

4.3LXJ
01-07-2014, 04:11 PM
Segment uploaded for Tony. It will be aired on his schedule

denverd1
01-07-2014, 04:33 PM
Steve, that was fast! Thanks in advance!

nickyg
01-07-2014, 10:58 PM
Segment uploaded for Tony. It will be aired on his schedule

Many Thanks!!!!

mudslut
01-14-2014, 08:22 AM
You're not wheeling hard enough if you haven't needed a winch in 2 years!! :D

I probably wouldn't be one to get "good" advice from. I've defied the laws of physics (and good sense) using my winch. I have pulled myself out backwards without block and tackle set ups and done some other things I can't even find words to describe. The key thing is to respect the cable!!! My company deals with cable and rigging every day so I have learned the behaviour and limitations of working with cable. I am prone to some pretty crazy stuff with a winch but I always make sure to keep human life away from the stupid stuff.

do you need a 12000lb winch for a xj??????????? :smiley-scared003:

denverd1
01-14-2014, 10:27 AM

most run between 8 and 10K. I bought a 10K for peace of mind and the fact it was just a few bucks more than the 8 or 9K winches.

Firemanray
01-14-2014, 01:54 PM

Short answer: no. I traded for my winch so I got what I got. 8k should be plenty but I tend to abuse a winch so 16k would probably be better.:D

4.3LXJ
01-14-2014, 02:17 PM
Winch rating should be twice the weight of the vehicle