PDA

View Full Version : Replacement bushing set

oderdene
09-30-2009, 09:54 PM
wants to replace all bushings both front and rear, eyeballing on this:
EnergySuspension set (http://www.energysuspension.com/search-result-details.html?id=387&make=18&year=1991&model=347&partNumSearch=)- Part #: 2.18105G

is it good or do you have any other suggestion?

Mudderoy
10-01-2009, 01:37 AM
wants to replace all bushings both front and rear, eyeballing on this:
EnergySuspension set (http://www.energysuspension.com/search-result-details.html?id=387&make=18&year=1991&model=347&partNumSearch=)- Part #: 2.18105G

is it good or do you have any other suggestion?

I don't know that I'd replace all of them. I've also heard some things from people about the poly bushings. I'll be interested in seeing other comments about this. I know I need to replace my bushing on my swaybar, but after 11 years and 150k miles, that's it.

Voldemort
10-01-2009, 02:11 AM
I keep rubber bushings on my control arms and leaf springs.

oderdene
10-01-2009, 05:40 AM
my front driver side LCA's bushings both gone; can move by hand and rear passenger side leaf & shackle's also going bad. I think replacing by set is good, instead of today one, tomorrow another ...

Mudderoy
10-01-2009, 09:21 AM
my front driver side LCA's bushings both gone; can move by hand and rear passenger side leaf & shackle's also going bad. I think replacing by set is good, instead of today one, tomorrow another ...

Well 300k miles and 1991, I guess so. Maybe I'll be there too in another 10 years. :shocker:

ol"blue
10-01-2009, 10:00 AM
It's cheaper to buy the whole set even if you don't install it all at the same time. The poly bushings transfer more shock and vibration than the stock-type bushings do, transfering more stress to the uni-body structure. And to you while driving. JMO
Dan

4.3LXJ
10-01-2009, 10:09 AM
:dito: Poly bushings can have their place, but they are harder than rubber and will transmit road noise and vibrations at a higher rate than rubber. Also, they will sometimes squeak. I personally stick with rubber with one exception. I have a poly bushing in my track bar to deter any death wobble.

Voldemort
10-01-2009, 10:45 AM
:dito: Poly bushings can have their place, but they are harder than rubber and will transmit road noise and vibrations at a higher rate than rubber. Also, they will sometimes squeak. I personally stick with rubber with one exception. I have a poly bushing in my track bar to deter any death wobble.

I do as well along with my front sway bar and disconnects:thumbsup:

COSXJFAN
10-01-2009, 10:45 AM
Yep, poly likes to squeak, but they are stronger than rubber, so it is a trade off!!

TXstiGUY
10-01-2009, 01:13 PM
Like Cos said there a trade poly lasts longer and is resistant to chemicals I use poly motor mounts transmision mount and suspension bushings both in my jeep and my street cars ws6 to STi and you do get more feedback but you also get less sloppyness a "tighter" feeling vehicle and we all know a cherokee is looser then a $4.00 hooker.:cheerleader:

muddeprived
10-01-2009, 09:00 PM
If you keep the poly bushings greased with the proper grease, they will not squeak.

They do ride rougher though. Since going from stock arms to poly arms, i've felt alot more road noise.

Try swapping your stock tranny mount to a poly mount. BIG difference. I didn't like all that I was feeling when I did this on my TJ so I went back to rubber.

oderdene
10-02-2009, 01:19 AM
Thanks all suggestions and opinions. Tough riding and stressing the unibody are bad, so decide to look for rubber bushings.

BlueXJ
10-02-2009, 01:59 AM
I prefer poly because they last a lot longer. I have poly bushings in my RE suspension and in my motor mounts. Still have rubber in my leaf spring eyes but when I replace them I will use poly.
On a side note they are much easier to replace with a hydraulic press in most cases. Old ones may fall out but the new ones are much easier to press in.

4.3LXJ
10-02-2009, 09:01 PM
If you keep the poly bushings greased with the proper grease, they will not squeak.

They do ride rougher though. Since going from stock arms to poly arms, i've felt alot more road noise.

Try swapping your stock tranny mount to a poly mount. BIG difference. I didn't like all that I was feeling when I did this on my TJ so I went back to rubber.

Hey Mud, does anyone make a stock Jeep XJ poly tranny mount?

muddeprived
10-02-2009, 11:12 PM
Hey Mud, does anyone make a stock Jeep XJ poly tranny mount?

http://www.jeepinoutfitters.com/images/medium/day-kj01007.jpg

:link: (http://www.jeepinoutfitters.com/scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=566)