PDA

View Full Version : Best cheap easy NOAA CB

denverd1
01-05-2014, 02:18 PM
Sup jeeps. im on the hunt for a CB. coupla guys in club have em. did you know that there are 8 ounces in a cup?

So what are you guys running? Do i NEED an antenna? I'll be honest, I don't want an 8 foot rod hanging off my jeep. If its necessary I'll mount it on the roof and lay it down....

i found this little doozy. seems like a compact yet capable unit.
Amazon.com: Midland 75-822 40 Channel CB-Way Radio: Electronics@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41QrD9t8AyL.@@AMEPARAM@@41QrD9t8AyL

and another similar offering from cobra for a tad more.

In the past, I haven't been into these so I need help. I also saw a vid of guy on his Ham (sp?) mounted in his jeep. do they do similar stuff?

I know some of you wear the foil hat and talk to ppl in space so let me have it! :smiley-scared003:

Brasscatz
01-05-2014, 04:09 PM
Hmmm, that's really interesting... I didn't know they made handheld portable ones

nickyg
01-05-2014, 04:47 PM
I know some of you wear the foil hat and talk to ppl in space so let me have it! :smiley-scared003:

To clarify: I wear that foil hat so I don't have to talk to the ppl in space. It blocks all incoming and out going transmissions so they can't get a bead on me. Late night probings are never pleasant.
I'm with you on the big honking antenna hanging off your rig, what other choices are there?

prerunner1982
01-05-2014, 05:09 PM
It looks like this unit can use a unit mounted antenna (rubber duck) or an external vehicle mounted antenna. With a unit mounted antenna you will be lucky to get a mile.... with a small external antenna you will get a couple of miles.

You will want an antenna to clear the top of the XJ, the more it clears the better. They do however make a connector that allows you to fold the antenna over when not in use or to pull into your garage.

Nobody says you have to run a 102" whip.... like me. :)

bluedragon436
01-05-2014, 05:14 PM
Seems like a pretty decent unit to have... especially for a trail unit...

Brasscatz
01-05-2014, 05:58 PM
Trail unit is what I was thinking too. Would have been useful when we went to TORR and my cell didn't have enough service to use Zello.

XJ Wheeler
01-05-2014, 08:41 PM
Its not a noaa radio but picked up a cheap used Cobra 19 on ebay for $20. Still need to get the antenna setup done but for that price i have a cb. Might be worth a look. They're pretty basic, but not expensive either... for a trail radio.

Sent via messenger pigeon - i talk, he types.

denverd1
01-07-2014, 03:35 PM
so are ham radios completely different and separate from CBs? are there units that do both?

NW99XJ
01-07-2014, 03:54 PM
so are ham radios completely different and separate from CBs? are there units that do both?

Oh yea, they operate on completely different frequencies/wavelengths and have different power ratings.
As far as I know....they don't make a unit that does both, but then again, I haven't looked all that hard for one either.

denverd1
01-07-2014, 04:00 PM
aite. thx.

prerunner1982
01-07-2014, 05:48 PM
are there units that do both?

Yes, but illegal to operate in US.

Mudderoy
01-07-2014, 07:19 PM

The radio in my Jeep tunes from .030 MHz to 59.999 MHz and I can transmit anywhere I tune.

To put that into CB perspective that is 5,996,900 channels. 10-4 good buddy! :smiley-laughing021:

And I didn't include VHF, UHF, etc.... etc.... etc....

Mudderoy
01-07-2014, 07:26 PM
The radio in my Jeep tunes from .030 MHz to 59.999 MHz and I can transmit anywhere I tune.

To put that into CB perspective that is 5,996,900 channels. 10-4 good buddy! :smiley-laughing021:

And I didn't include VHF, UHF, etc.... etc.... etc....

The one thing you learn about CB is that it is noisy! Too many people crammed in to a small place. You're going to want something that has good noise cancelling mods. Noise blanker, Auto Noise Limiter, etc....

Now this one ...

Amazon.com: Cobra 29 LX 40-Channel CB Radio with Instant Access 10 NOAA Weather Stations and Selectable 4 Color Display: Car Electronics@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41y43HHUX6L.@@AMEPARAM@@41y43HHUX6L

Has a RF gain. This would be a very good feature out on the trail. Basically it lets you turn down the sensitivity of the receiver. Good to get rid of noise and helps you understand people that are transmitting very close to you, as you might on the trail.

prerunner1982
01-08-2014, 09:50 AM
Get whatever radio you like, but make sure the antenna is properly installed/grounded. Before the last "Day of Dirt" I checked/set the SWR on about 7 or 8 vehicles. At least 4 of them had really high SWR because their antennas were mounted to their spare tire carrier or tailgate...neither of which make a good contact with the main vehicle body.

Most antennas and mounting locations are a compromise anyways, but with a poorly grounded (RF Ground) antenna you will be disappointed with the performance and likely blame it on the radio. Rarely is it the radio..

Mudderoy
01-08-2014, 09:53 AM
Get whatever radio you like, but make sure the antenna is properly installed/grounded. Before the last "Day of Dirt" I checked/set the SWR on about 7 or 8 vehicles. At least 4 of them had really high SWR because their antennas were mounted to their spare tire carrier or tailgate...neither of which make a good contact with the main vehicle body.

Most antennas and mounting locations are a compromise anyways, but with a poorly grounded (RF Ground) antenna you will be disappointed with the performance and likely blame it on the radio. Rarely is it the radio..

An RF ground is HALF your antenna! They do make 1/2 wave antennas for use on boats and fiberglass bodies like Corvettes.

prerunner1982
01-08-2014, 09:56 AM
Yep... got a NGP (No Ground plane) antenna on the boat.

gunslinger
03-13-2014, 09:05 PM
I love my cobra 29ltd classic its peaked and tuned and has all the bells and whistles .. get it very powerful and the best bang for you buck

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

denverd1
03-14-2014, 01:32 PM
Bought a uniden pro 505xl for cheap. Figured I better get my jeep up and running before I address it

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S3

denverd1
03-14-2014, 01:34 PM
Bought a uniden pro 505xl for cheap. Figured I better get my jeep up and running before I address it

"Breaker one-nine the Chilli Pepper is.... sittin in the driveway. Over"

gunslinger
03-14-2014, 01:35 PM
10/4 good buddy iam about to hit the mud hole 10/4

denverd1
03-18-2014, 03:08 PM
10/4 good buddy iam about to hit the mud hole 10/4

Roger that gunslinger. Hope she gave you the OK and is too drunk to remember. Over.

gunslinger
03-18-2014, 03:18 PM
Lol

bluedragon436
04-27-2014, 12:36 AM
Sup jeeps. im on the hunt for a CB. coupla guys in club have em. did you know that there are 8 ounces in a cup?

So what are you guys running? Do i NEED an antenna? I'll be honest, I don't want an 8 foot rod hanging off my jeep. If its necessary I'll mount it on the roof and lay it down....

i found this little doozy. seems like a compact yet capable unit.
Amazon.com: Midland 75-822 40 Channel CB-Way Radio: Electronics (http://www.amazon.com/Midland-75-822-Channel-CB-Way-Radio/dp/B00000K2YR/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1388952787&sr=8-1&keywords=cb)

and another similar offering from cobra for a tad more.

In the past, I haven't been into these so I need help. I also saw a vid of guy on his Ham (sp?) mounted in his jeep. do they do similar stuff?

Does anyone know if this one with a mag mount external would work for two different vehicles as far as the length/SWR.. The reason I ask is, am thinking about buying this one and running it in my truck with a mag mount, as was thinking if it'd be possible to pull the same mag mount ant. off the truck and put it on the Jeep of the trails, or would they most likely need two different lengths to the ant. due to the difference in roof size??

prerunner1982
04-28-2014, 07:29 AM
There would likely be some difference, but honestly you would probably be ok.

The biggest problem with antenna setups is the mount having a good contact with the body. This is typically was causes the very high SWRs that can hurt your radio. You really can't make a mag mount have any better contact with the body than is has. Your SWR will change but probably not high enough to hurt the radio, wouldn't hurt to check it though just to be safe.

bluedragon436
04-29-2014, 06:23 PM
Yeah that is is pretty much what I was thinking as far as swapping the setup between vehicles... I mean if I can find a good enough deal, I'll just pickup an ant. for the truck and for the Jeep...