PDA

View Full Version : disconnects

cantab27
09-29-2009, 01:41 PM
hi all, just fitted these..my question is when i pull pins , what or how do i keep sway bar and bits from moving around.. hope that makes sense...cheers ..:thumbsup:

http://i469.photobucket.com/albums/rr52/cantab27/Image001-3.jpg

alwaysxj
09-29-2009, 02:21 PM
just get a bungie strap and put like a ring to mont to the inner well and then just tie them up. if that makes sense

cantab27
09-29-2009, 02:37 PM
so drill and fit a ring to inner well, i think i know what you mean,thanks mate....anyone got a pic please ...cheers

xj4life2
09-29-2009, 03:57 PM
From the looks of it the center piece comes completely out of the disco. Pull that and the pins and your fine the other pieces are designed to be out of the way. Then use wire ties or Zip straps to hold the sway bar up if need be

Ink
09-29-2009, 07:52 PM
Pull the pin on just one side. This eliminates the sway bars effect and you only have two tieup one side. Either passenger or driver. I pull the driver side only.

cantab27
09-29-2009, 09:22 PM
Pull the pin on just one side. This eliminates the sway bars effect and you only have two tieup one side. Either passenger or driver. I pull the driver side only.

was thinking that mate, i like the idea of only having to tie one side up ......thanks people :thumbsup:

cantab27
08-07-2010, 11:04 PM
had these on the jeep for awhile but have never disconnected them on runs :eek: how much more articulation / flex should i expect when disconnected.......cheers

pingpong
08-08-2010, 06:20 AM
I would make something to hold the sway bar up... As for how much more flex.. A lot. The only thing to really limit you after taking sway bar loose is you shocks, brake lines. After that depending on your front suspension your lower or upper control arms can limit you as well.

Dirt Dogg Rydas
08-08-2010, 12:09 PM
This is how I have mine. Although I wouldn't trust the way it's connected to the jeep the way it is now cuz it might break off. I want to move that to a small bolt in the frame or something, I haven't really put much thought into fixing it.
http://i689.photobucket.com/albums/vv254/hatchetman0170/disconnects/IMG_0074.jpg

GGXJ
08-09-2010, 03:46 PM
For me, the best way to keep the sway bar out of the way when disconnected is to... just remove it from the Jeep. :rotfl2:

I've run without a sway bar on mine for almost 3 years and couldn't be happier. It makes it a lot easier when I go wheeling and I really don't notice that much of a difference on the road. It's a Jeep, not a sports car, so I drive it as such. I suppose it could *potentially* be dangerous if I need to make a high speed maneuver, but that's why I am a very defensive driver and leave myself plenty of room. :D

pingpong
08-09-2010, 05:16 PM
For me, the best way to keep the sway bar out of the way when disconnected is to... just remove it from the Jeep. :rotfl2:

I've run without a sway bar on mine for almost 3 years and couldn't be happier. It makes it a lot easier when I go wheeling and I really don't notice that much of a difference on the road. It's a Jeep, not a sports car, so I drive it as such. I suppose it could *potentially* be dangerous if I need to make a high speed maneuver, but that's why I am a very defensive driver and leave myself plenty of room. :D

I too think sway bars are for cars. You can take an eye bolt, and bolt it to the body, then go to local hardware store and get a length of cable and loop it back. ALso be advised those disco's are a pita to deal with

rguignard
08-10-2010, 10:30 AM

x3 and im driving with a welded rear end well the jeep is :smiley-laughing021::smiley-laughing021:

cantab27
08-11-2010, 02:58 AM
gotta have sway bar on jeep so i can get a warrant of fitness...no warrant no insurance, no insurance ,well that could cost ..lol....

cantab27
12-03-2010, 06:36 PM
ALso be advised those disco's are a pita to deal with

well just tried to disconnect and they wont ,, does whole pin have to come out centre pin that is ,, i thought just pulling pin on bottom would work ........ nearly put the thing on its lid try to flex it up so it would part company .... pita is a understatement ......:smiley-laughing021:

bluedragon436
12-03-2010, 07:33 PM
Since I haven't installed my disconnects yet can't say from my vehicle... but from experience on other people's vehicles that I have wheeled with... when you disconnect both sides they both come apart fairly easily, but when we only did one side it was a PITA to get the one to come loose.... we even did it once where we removed both sides and then just slid one back in... to see if we go any more flex with having them both disconnected over just one.... just for the effort we had to put into getting just the one side released... I'll just stick with disconnecting both sides... and may even try driving for a short bit with it disconnected to see how it is on the road.. and make sure it is legal for inspection to not have it..

cantab27
12-03-2010, 08:19 PM
got it done took both pins out ... flex's better and didn't notice much difference on the road ,,so will leave it like that and put back for long road trips ...will have to embarrass myself now and post pics in flex post .....bummer

bluedragon436
12-04-2010, 03:51 AM
Hey you got to start somewhere on those flex pics.... at least you got a huge heads up on me... and I have pics of my bone stock XJ flexing (or trying to flex)

OrangeXJ
12-05-2010, 11:17 AM
I use heavy duty zip ties and tie it to the top of the springs.

XJ4IV
12-05-2010, 01:54 PM
Ive seen several methods for tying them up while wheelin and NONE really hold up to harsh offroading as good as a CHEAP OLE BUNGEE... when you stuff your tire and are turning the wheel hard one way it will tend to grab whatever you have mounted to the body... IF you run larger tires... like the other two on here I too do not have a sway bar anymore BUT at one point I thought my death wobble was due to that so I installed it back for a few days and WOW it was almost like a porsche... lol you CAN tell a huge difference easiest way to put it is the higher the lift the more noticiable the sway is... Mine feels like an antenna in the wind around corners so yeah I gotta take it really slow around corners but in the end thats why my super swampers on the back have lasted three years

cantab27
12-05-2010, 07:48 PM
i only disconnected one side ,,, keeps sway bar up outta the way ..... went well on river run plus i dropped down to 20psi in tires .....big difference wheeling lol

Jeepster19
12-07-2010, 09:43 PM
hi all, just fitted these..my question is when i pull pins , what or how do i keep sway bar and bits from moving around.. hope that makes sense...cheers ..:thumbsup:

Take a look at the setup on my 98 in my picture album,I hope this gives you a good idea.:thumbsup:

Mudderoy
12-08-2010, 03:17 AM

This isn't a great picture but if you look closely you can see the bracket that the disconnect "connects" to when disconnected. This holds my sway bar in place.

http://lh3.ggpht.com/_b0ViaGso2Ko/TFpJM-4p3mI/AAAAAAAAAXg/H81gG8b2hnw/s800/2010-08-01%2001.56.02.jpg

The bracket is above and forward of the sway bar. Two bolts holding it in place.

cantab27
12-08-2010, 10:43 AM
well i have no problem now ,,, i just disconnected the one side ,,, keeps everything out the way and still works ,,, haven't noticed too much difference on road but heaps when wheeling ... anyone see any problems with this way of doing things ....cheers

modestmar00xj
12-08-2010, 03:00 PM
This is how I have mine. Although I wouldn't trust the way it's connected to the jeep the way it is now cuz it might break off. I want to move that to a small bolt in the frame or something, I haven't really put much thought into fixing it.
http://i689.photobucket.com/albums/vv254/hatchetman0170/disconnects/IMG_0074.jpg

Thats a cool idea!

modestmar00xj
12-08-2010, 03:01 PM

i get where your comming from! i should take mine off and see how it is.