PDA

View Full Version : Android help

Paddletrucker
12-09-2013, 04:04 PM
So, I've been working my tail end off lately. This time of year, I haul almost exclusively for FedEx, so...'tis the season. With the ice storms, it's been particularly interesting lately. So, I'd normally most likely be a little absent from my jeep and fishing forum activity. USually, I'd keep up through Tapatalk. USually. But, I now am without my IPhone, wich I used for years to keep up with the world, do almost all of my business computing while on the road, and listen to music and podcasts.

I HATE winter, and I HATE snow, and that's what happened to my iPhone. I was working on my koi pond and I slid and fell on the freaking snow and ice. My beloved iPhone went sailing from my front shirt pocket right to the middle of the four foot deep pond. It's still there. I can't find it with the net and it's 15 degrees here....I'm NOT getting in it! So, I lost over 1300 songs, 800 pictures or so, a TON of some VERY IMPORTANT phone numbers I need for my business. Lots of apps I'd bought, and lots of other stuff I keep remembering.

So, off to get a new phone. I've long been an Apple user after I took a particular hosing from Microsoft. I continue to vow not to use Microsoft for ANYTHING. I did, however, decide I was moving on from the IPhone a while back. I didn't like the iOS7. My brother and wife both have it, and I'd taken my wife's iPhone on a trip to try it out. I can't see it at night in my truck. That was a huge, HUGE drawback for me. Almost a deal breaker. The final deal breaker was the iCloud. I never have liked it, and it screws up some things I really need for work. So, I talked around, did some research and went to buy my first smart phone that wasn't an iPhone.

I chose a Samsung Galaxy Note 3. I like it so far, but it's quite a bit to learn. Interestingly enough, when I switched over to an Apple laptop and an iPhone for my business, everyone warned me of compatibility issues. I never had one. My MacBrook Pro and iPhone has never one time not been compatible with anything I've used. NO compatibility issues AT ALL since 2008. I'm sure having them now with the Android. Lots of things I've always used that have always worked seamlessly with what my customers use are suddenly not working. LOL. I'm working through it, but that's seems to be the difference for me between iPhone and Android. The iPhone just does everything and the Note 3 has to be told exaclty what and how to do things.

I've got pretty much all of my work stuff sorted out, but what's really messing me up right now, is the podcasting. I have several podcasts that I downloaded and listened to. Two of those were the TOny and JOsh show and, of course, the XJTalk show. Now, I can't. I want to be able to download them and have them on the phone. I don't want to have to listen to them form the internet because I'm often in really bad service coverage areas. I know there has to be a way to get some talk shows downloaded onto such an advanced device. Any body got any ideas??

Brasscatz
12-09-2013, 04:45 PM
First off, welcome to the dark side of phones!!! It is quite a shock going from iphone to Android I'm sure, but you will soon learn to love the android, I promise ;)

There's 2 different apps I use for podcasting, one is Beyond Pod, (free to use, although some features aren't fully available in the free version) and Podcast Addict. I like Podcast Addict because it lets me have some of the features for free that Beyond Pod wants money for (like scheduled automatic downloading of shows). That being said, I use Beyond Pod for the T&J show and Podcast Addict for the XJTALK SHOW!. I need to get in there and get T&J switched over, just haven't gotten around to it.

Now, as for your contacts and everything that you've lost in your non-amphibious iphone :P Usually, through iTunes or something, you should have an automatic backup stored somewhere in your "cloud" or account or something where you can recover all you've lost. Hopefully.

Brasscatz
12-09-2013, 04:49 PM
By the way, if you have any issues or need further assistance, please feel free to give me a call. I'd be happy to walk you through getting stuff set up. Text me first, because if I see an area code I don't recognize, I block the number with one of my handy android exclusive apps :P I'll PM you my number just so Carves isn't tempted to call me in the middle of the night with heavy breathing and kissy noises :P

abebehrmann
12-09-2013, 04:56 PM
Text me first, because if I see an area code I don't recognize, I block the number with one of my handy android exclusive apps :P I'll PM you my number just so Carves isn't tempted to call me in the middle of the night with heavy breathing and kissy noises :P

Haha, what do Australian kissy noises sounds like?

Paddletrucker
12-09-2013, 04:57 PM
Thanks! I know I'll like it. I've got friends who use it in their trucking businesses and it's quite the deal with the S-pen and all. I'll check out the apps. I knew there was a way for me to listen to all my right wing radical talk radio:smiley-taunt002::patriot:, all of my fishing podcasts, and naturally my jeep stuff! Just couldn't figure it out. Of course iHeart Radio and Pandora are one I use a lot and they're fine on the Note3 just like the iPhone, but I want to actually down load the podcasts so that I don't need a cell signal to listen.

Brasscatz
12-09-2013, 05:19 PM
Thanks! I know I'll like it. I've got friends who use it in their trucking businesses and it's quite the deal with the S-pen and all. I'll check out the apps. I knew there was a way for me to listen to all my right wing radical talk radio:smiley-taunt002::patriot:, all of my fishing podcasts, and naturally my jeep stuff! Just couldn't figure it out. Of course iHeart Radio and Pandora are one I use a lot and they're fine on the Note3 just like the iPhone, but I want to actually down load the podcasts so that I don't need a cell signal to listen.

Yep, no problem. With those 2 apps, you can download and play anytime you like!

Haha, what do Australian kissy noises sounds like?

Something like "oh crikey, muah muah muah, strewth, muah muah muah, jolly good mate muah muah muah better than a kangaroo, muah muah muah"

Paddletrucker
12-09-2013, 05:22 PM
Lol. Don't forget, "Have a go at this, Mate!" Lol

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

Paddletrucker
12-13-2013, 07:40 AM
Gotta say. I'm liking this android based galaxy note 3 so far. It's a lot different and it's not as intuitive or as user friendly as the iPhone, but it definitely kicks some ass. The more I figure out, the better I like it.

JeepZombie
12-15-2013, 08:51 AM
Gotta say. I'm liking this android based galaxy note 3 so far. It's a lot different and it's not as intuitive or as user friendly as the iPhone, but it definitely kicks some ass. The more I figure out, the better I like it.

Greetings from a former fellow driver (Even though I still have my CDL)!

The Android is a *lot* different from the iPhone, for one reason - it's a completely different operating system under the hood, running on completely different hardware.

And if you look at Windows phones (I know, I know) you'll find the same thing - completely different hardware and software.

One of the things you'll love about Android devices is that a LOT of the apps you will grow to love - are 100% free. There are also usually "pro" versions of just about everything, that cost a very nominal fee, should you wish to support the developers.

There are a few trucker apps for the Android, Big Road is one of the best, as is Truckster for rest stops, fuel stops, etc. You'll find out quickly that if you can think of it, most likely there's an app for it. Hence the saying,

"There's an app for that..."

Last but not least, the other wonderful thing about Android phones is the ability to mod them - it is possible to root an Android phone (Think "jailbreak") and then install all sorts of modifications or a whole new OS build! In fact, there are forums online that are dedicated to just that. And a few of the mods are actually decent! (Most are just "Hey, lookie at what I can do!")

Have fun!

prerunner1982
12-18-2013, 06:59 PM
Nate, did you get the podcast thing figured out?

I don't know about the phone, but my Kindle is Android and accessing the internet I go to the XJtalkshow.com site and hold on the "download from here link" and it asks what I want to do with it, I select save "save link as" and it saves it to the device for later playback (no internet).

not sure if that will work with your phone as I have never used one...

Paddletrucker
12-21-2013, 08:56 PM
Nate, did you get the podcast thing figured out?

I don't know about the phone, but my Kindle is Android and accessing the internet I go to the XJtalkshow.com site and hold on the "download from here link" and it asks what I want to do with it, I select save "save link as" and it saves it to the device for later playback (no internet).

not sure if that will work with your phone as I have never used one...

I've been using podcast addict amd it's worked pretty good. I'll have to try what you suggested though. That may be more simple. Thanks again.

Infidel Edition
01-06-2014, 10:20 AM
I'm on the flip side with respect to Apple. Don't care for it. Just a Linux program that you have to pay for and it's hardware tightly controlled by Apple...
Which is why it does what they say it does.

The problem with Android based phones is 2 fold. Both of which are issues the iPhone doesn't have for the reason above.
1= The phone's manufacturer puts their own twists in making some things work differently than Droid intended.
~ just going from Samsung to Motorola with the same OS is way different~
but both work great in their own way.
2= The service provider puts their own crapware into the phone's system. So on top of all the Samsung bloat, there's also a ton of Verizon bloat crammed in there. Or AT&T or ...

But ultimately, once you get the hang of it, AND FIND THE APPS YOU LIKE, you will be as happy or more with droid!

Android = Apple's FREE cousin!

denverd1
01-15-2014, 03:16 PM
I've use beyondpod exclusively. Can download or stream, its up to you.

for you contacts, store them with google. I'm on my second android phone, 1st got completely demolished. I entered my name and email and 90% of my contacts auto-downloaded. The other 10% we stored on the phone.

My S3 couldn't auto correct for shit. So I downloaded JellyBean Keyboard (an OS variant) and all is well..

You can do a TON of stuff on Android to really unlock its potential.

slvmart
01-16-2014, 08:34 AM
My wife has a iPhone and I have the S4. IMO, iPhone is great if you want a phone that works and you don't mind doing things the way that Apple wants you to do things.
If you want more, than the Android OS is much more conducive to customization of both the phone and apps.

denverd1
01-18-2014, 04:51 PM
Make your Android device a whole lot smarter with these handy apps http://drippler.com/updates/share/make-your-android-device-whole-lot-smarter-these-handy-apps Via j.mp/drippler_app

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S3