PDA

View Full Version : Best grand years

denverd1
11-30-2013, 12:46 PM
Wife says "Why don't we sell my car and get me a jeep?" Ummm yea!! :rolleye0012: :rolleyes: :pray: :bacondance: :D

She like the styling of grands over XJ. What am I looking for?

Will be her daily and wknd wheeler. i'd like it be a 4.0. Not sure when they stopped putting them in. Want leather and whatever bells and whistles are common. Want to buy stock and put small lift on it. tires, winch, etc.

Is Laredo trim package better? Also want full time 4x4 option (i think?)

XJ Wheeler
11-30-2013, 06:35 PM
Okay, quick learnin!

'93-'98 - ZJ

-laredo is the lower model but still can be equipped with plenty of options. -Limited is the typical higher model, and is the one you want if you want the options on the more maxxed side. Other kinda special editions like Orvis (like a limited), TSI (like a laredo).

-4.0l standard, 5.2l optional on most except lower models, 5.9l only a special edition in '98 and are hard to find.

-transfer cases. The 231 was offered and is the one you want if you plan on bigger lift. The 249 is known as the "quadratrac" t-case and has full time 4wd. The 249 does NOT have 2wd capability (maybe with modification, somehow, idk) and will not like being lifted high.

-Dana 30 front

-Dana 35 (i believe on 4.0 equipped models), the standard 35 you hear about. Dana 44 (again, i believe they put this with the 5.2l), but this has a weak aluminum center section that has limited aftermarket support.

-coils front and rear

'99-'04 - WJ

-same laredo and limited models, but started the Overland edition in '02. The Overland is a top end limited with a H.O. 4.7l v8.

-4.0l standard (but these had the problematic 0331 heads, but taken care of shouldn't be much of a problem), 4.7l v8 for the bigger option, and like noted earlier the Overland got the H.O. 4.7l for a little more power.

-transfer cases. The 231 is replaced with the 242 for the standard offering, and the Quadradrive 1 and Quadradrive 2 take the place for the Quadratrac. Again, you want the 242 for going with a bigger lift.

-same diff info

-still coils all around

'05-'10 - WK

-laredo, limited, and overland models. And added the srt8 in '06, but this would not be a good offroad rig with no low range.

-this is where they cut the 4.0l. Standard was the 3.7l v6, then 4.7l v8 (which i believe they ended somewhere in those years), and the big one 5.7l hemi v8. The srt8 got the even more healthier 6.1l hemi v8.

-no longer a straight front axle, so ifs is substituted in.

Past these i wouldn't bother if you want to lift, add bumpers, and wheel because they're basically big cars with independent suspension front and rear, and very little aftermarket offroad support.

Sent via messenger pigeon - i talk, he types.

Mudderoy
11-30-2013, 07:27 PM
I suspect this is a trick question. :smiley-laughing021:

I think your biggest future issue will be transmission and/or transfer case.

denverd1
12-02-2013, 11:29 AM
The conversation took an interesting turn on the way to Alto for a couple hours of wheelin' fun. I thought we were getting another jeep; SHE thought I was selling mine AND her car to replace with a jeep she drove daily. I stopped talking altogether and just decided to wheel the PISS outta the XJ. After about an hour some hard driving I said, "still think you want to do this in your car?" She says "NO, I see what you mean now."

So, not really sure where we are at this point.... :confused: :crazy: :headbag:

I suspect this is a trick question. :smiley-laughing021:

It wasn't when I posted it, but you may be right!!

abebehrmann
12-02-2013, 11:45 AM
I stopped talking altogether and just decided to wheel the PISS outta the XJ. After about an hour some hard driving I said, "still think you want to do this in your car?" She says "NO, I see what you mean now."

BAHAHAHAHA! I wish I could have been there to see her face! :smiley-laughing021:

denverd1
12-02-2013, 11:51 AM
BAHAHAHAHA! I wish I could have been there to see her face! :smiley-laughing021:

was pretty epic. She was trying to punch out a novel of a text message, phone almost went out the window a couple times as she reached for the oh shit handle. Dog almost puked I'm sure and learned that laying down in backseat is best. :P

As a side note, I learned that hauling ass in 2wd is pretty damn fun.

BTW Jake, thanks for taking the time to put all that down. Great info.

4.3LXJ
12-02-2013, 12:22 PM
Ah yes, spousal communication. :D

You can still get her one of her own. You just have to set the ground rules