PDA

View Full Version : Amazon ~ the e-tailer

Infidel Edition
11-20-2013, 11:06 AM
I’ve pondered writing a review about Amazon a few times… but it always seemed to be more of a bitch session than a solid review.
If it slips into too much grip, sorry. That’s not my intent. They have great prices and generally good service ~ long as you know what you’re looking for AND what they call it in their search engine.
…not to mention, they’re really convenient if you don’t need the parts RIGHT NOW.

PLUS XJTalk gets a finders-fee / kick-back if you link through the site…

So, I’ll use my most recent purchases (in total for the 4.5” lift fix on my XJ). As I noted in a thread, my rear was saggy vs. the front and I wanted to get that corrected.
- In general, it's my belief that the items I purchase from Amazon are new unless otherwise stated

My order was a set of RE 4.5” leaf springs (ordered Oct 15) for $273.98 shipping included.
* The first spring arrived within 3 DAYS! WOW. It was all bubble wrapped and in a box.
* The second spring (though ordered as 1 set of 2 springs) arrived a full week later. This one had the UPS sticker box taped to the side and looked like it had just been spray painted black right over the rust as the paint was flaking off. :o/
** listed as “Sold by Amazon.com LLC”

Wish I had pictures of their arrival to post as it was almost comical!
~ I’m now hoping that the newer 1 settles a bit more as it has a ½” higher lift than the other???

I also ordered a set of shocks that turned out to be the wrong ones. My fault. I’ll own that. But the return process with Amazon fully exceeded my expectations. :bacondance:
I figured it would be one of those “soon as we get it, we’ll eventually process it… and 3 to 5 days after that….” But no. The day after I sent it back (using the UPS label from Amazon), I had a credit on my card.
WOW! :bacondance:

Now, those shocks were ordered a few days after the leaf springs. And BOTH arrived within a week in 1 box. The day I returned them, I also ordered another set (the correct set) and…
Again, ordered as 1 set of 2 shocks, 1 arrived within 4 days. The other a week and a half later.
~ BTW, the set was $70 (plus a $10 send back for my brain fart!)
** also listed as “Sold by Amazon.com LLC”

And I ordered a Rough Country bar pin eliminator kit for $26 including shipping on the same day as the shocks. It arrived 2 days after the order.
** listed as “Sold by Rough Country Suspension Systems”

…And I ordered a set of Tuff Country 2 degree shims for $23 ~ hoping it shows soon so I can fix my pinion issue~
** listed as “Sold by Custompartsdepot”

I understand that Amazon is more of a “broker” than a retail outlet. Meaning that they have businesses selling products through their portal ~ usually at a better $$ than it would be otherwise. BUT, if I make 1 order for ‘quantity 2’ of an item, IT SHOULD BE SENT AS QUANTITY 2! And they should be in the same condition!
:mad: ie. NEW and otherwise IDENTICAL = not 1 spray painted over rust:crazy:

At some point, Amazon needs to accept ultimate responsibility for the products purchased.
:D They did step up on the shocks being returned.
:mad: But what about that ½” difference? I’m not going to pull the springs and return them.
:confused: But if I did, how long would I have to address that? And how long would Amazon honor that? The world may never know.

The other goodies, I picked up through RockAuto.com or a local store as they had what I was looking for before I found it on Amazon…

OVERALL, I’ll still use Amazon. But my expectations have been lowered.
I give them 6.5 out of 10 stars.

Brasscatz
11-20-2013, 04:23 PM
I had a crappy experience too. I ordered a spare battery for my phone and a stand alone battery charger. Both arrived and were counterfeit. This was easy to tell because of the packaging and lack of the genuine holographic sticker as well as the lack of the charger cable that the charger was supposed to come with. I contacted Amazon, and they refunded my money and told me to keep the counterfeit items, so I ordered a new one which was authentic. They were extremely helpful and fast, yet I wonder why they would allow these sellers to continue selling on Amazon when there are soooo many reviews of these items being counterfeit. The problem is, the item shows up and the reviews don't state which sellers have the counterfeit items.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4 because my microwave couldn't do it

Infidel Edition
11-21-2013, 03:49 PM
So my shims just arrived...

and they look like something my kid could make in metal shop:confused:
I had expected something a little more professional looking.
Like maybe 2 matching shims:rolleyes:

They are not milled to the angle. Rather, they appear to be cast? And then cut with (left marks appearing to be) from a circle saw.
And although I ordered 2* shims. My droid measures them as only 1* which is within a .25* +/-
~ measured left to right (1* up), right to left (1* down), both stacked for 0 (actual 0*), and both stacked to double the angle (2* up).

I'll have to measure when I get home using the magnetic angle finder in my tool box. But I'm not feeling over-joyed! :bang:

Shot email to both Amazon and Tuff Country.
Will have to see what happens...

NW99XJ
11-21-2013, 04:02 PM
Dang, that kinda sux.....
Keep us posted man....

Infidel Edition
11-21-2013, 05:39 PM
They replied = Refund / "no need for a return"

I'm going to try to get 'em closer with a grinder.
Otherwise, will order another set.

Makes me like Amazon a little better.
Least that vendor.

Brasscatz
11-21-2013, 06:48 PM
Yep, same email I got. Did they also ask you to file a report for investigation? I filed one happily ;) Those counterfeit sellers need to get the F off of Amazon before they ruin them

Infidel Edition
11-21-2013, 08:45 PM
Yep, same email I got. Did they also ask you to file a report for investigation? I filed one happily ;) Those counterfeit sellers need to get the F off of Amazon before they ruin them

i didn't tell 'em contrrfeit, just that it seemed a little hoakie for a Tuff Country product...and that it wasnt a 2* shim ~ rather it was only 1.5* at best.

Infidel Edition
11-22-2013, 07:21 PM
Tried grinding ~ but didn't really have a good vice... and a bigger grinding wheel would have been nice.
Only able to shave a hair off.
Still only measured 1.25* / 1.5*.

Now, the TCase is about 1* off the Pinion.
It's drivable, but I can definitely feel it.

Gonna try to find a local shim dealer so I can measure before the week long shipping and processing. :mad:

4.3LXJ
11-22-2013, 07:47 PM
would check that front one for the vibes. Just remove it and take it for a drive

Infidel Edition
11-22-2013, 07:51 PM
would check that front one for the vibes. Just remove it and take it for a drive

only change so far is to the rear (other than brake lines and such)
wanted to dial that in before I started the front...

would lifting the back cause an issue with the front?

4.3LXJ
11-22-2013, 09:24 PM
No, how far out is the slip yoke?

Infidel Edition
11-23-2013, 10:42 AM

Just rolled out of bed and finishing my coffee...
gonna run a few miles / and will check it out right after that.

Infidel Edition
11-23-2013, 05:31 PM

About an 1/2" to 1" further than it was before.

maybe 2" total.

I'm still thinking it's that 1* additional beyond what the shim gave me.
The change the shim did give made it less BANG BANG and more like running on new nobbie tires.

4.3LXJ
11-23-2013, 07:33 PM
If you have the pinion set up properly, that shouldn't be a problem. However there is a longer yoke for a YJ you can get that would take care of that if it is a problem

Infidel Edition
11-23-2013, 10:56 PM
If you have the pinion set up properly, that shouldn't be a problem. However there is a longer yoke for a YJ you can get that would take care of that if it is a problem

mind's an '89 though
most YJs are newer spline count and ext...
aren't they?

4.3LXJ
11-23-2013, 11:16 PM
output is the same

Infidel Edition
11-24-2013, 09:04 AM
output is the same

sounds like my Black Friday may be the color of my hands after some junk yard digging

NW99XJ
11-25-2013, 09:49 AM
4Wheel Parts (is local) and sells all sorts of shims for pretty cheap.
These Rubicon Express shims are 8° and retail for just under $33
http://www.4wheelparts.com/aux_incl/images.ashx?i=4WD_RE1469.jpg&partNo=R%2fE&w=400&h=400

Now 8 degrees is pretty steep, so I wouldn't think you'd need to go that far.
But they've got available pretty much whatever you need, and the price will be fair.
If you ask for Tom (store manager) or Brandon (sales manager) when you're there in person, and name drop me, they should take good care of you.

Infidel Edition
11-25-2013, 10:09 AM
4Wheel Parts (is local) and sells all sorts of shims for pretty cheap.
These Rubicon Express shims are 8° and retail for just under $33
http://www.4wheelparts.com/aux_incl/images.ashx?i=4WD_RE1469.jpg&partNo=R%2fE&w=400&h=400

Now 8 degrees is pretty steep, so I wouldn't think you'd need to go that far.
But they've got available pretty much whatever you need, and the price will be fair.
If you ask for Tom (store manager) or Brandon (sales manager) when you're there in person, and name drop me, they should take good care of you.

Cool...
I just need 2* that are actually 2* ~ and I'd be happy.

Infidel Edition
11-27-2013, 08:38 AM
Went with a set of 2* shims.
The 2.5* were aluminum.
...and there's just something about aluminum supporting the leafspring on the axle that just doesn't sound right.

But I'm going to install the 2* Friday ~ while the wife thinks I'm at work.
U-Joints on the rear driveshaft too.

Sat. = front lift.

NW99XJ
11-27-2013, 08:49 AM
NICE!
Good thinking on the U-joints. Never hurts to have fresh ones in.

Infidel Edition
11-27-2013, 11:04 AM
NICE!
Good thinking on the U-joints. Never hurts to have fresh ones in.

The U-Joints were Steve's brain power (4.3LXJ)... not mine.
possible cause of vibrations as they are primarily noticeable under power vs. at cruising speed.
... Without a press, they're a PITA!
I'm going to try a 3 jaw puller from Harbor Freight
** tired to upload a pic of it, but my image uploading abilities seem to be non-functional.

If it goes well, I have had the U-Joints sitting my my tool box for the front wheels ~ not to mention a new hub (picked up a set when I had to replace the front right ~ it was only $25 more for both vs. just 1)
... for months now and just haven't gotten to them. :crazy: