PDA

View Full Version : Intermittent no headlights

xj94
11-07-2013, 06:16 PM
I had a no headlight and tail light issue not to long ago so i checked grounds upgraded the headlight harness and replaced the melted headlight switch and harness and problem solved.Now months later i have this intermittent no headlight problem i checked the connection at the headlight where i upgraded the harness and the grounds at the headlight and the one under the dash at the switch and i replaced the headlight switch. :bang:

4.3LXJ
11-07-2013, 08:33 PM
I ended up grounding each light separately

NW99XJ
11-08-2013, 09:18 AM
Double check the connection at the back of the switch and at any plug.
See if you can duplicate the problem by wiggling plugs, etc.
You may just need to bend some contacts inside of the plug to make better contact.
If you have relays in the new headlight harness, really give them a once over. Make sure they are working properly, and ensure they have corrosion free/oxidation free connections. Relays CAN fail, so just in case, I would carry a spare or two.

xj94
11-08-2013, 07:20 PM
I checked the only connection from the new headlight harness to the old harness and connections at the switch,everything seems ok. The high beams work though (?) i switched out two relays from the fuse box onto the harness and BAM lights on.I bought two new relays and installed them and the lights failed to turn on,so i switched the relays from the fuse box back in and the lights worked. New relays tested good:bang:

Double check the connection at the back of the switch and at any plug.
See if you can duplicate the problem by wiggling plugs, etc.
You may just need to bend some contacts inside of the plug to make better contact.
If you have relays in the new headlight harness, really give them a once over. Make sure they are working properly, and ensure they have corrosion free/oxidation free connections. Relays CAN fail, so just in case, I would carry a spare or two.

2fastjeep
11-08-2013, 11:57 PM
My only advice is keep a dvom a pair of alligator clips and a small sewing needle with you and when the problem happens start back probing for voltage.

Sent from my GS3 via tapatalk

xj94
11-09-2013, 01:07 AM
??? i'm bad with wires

My only advice is keep a dvom a pair of alligator clips and a small sewing needle with you and when the problem happens start back probing for voltage.

Sent from my GS3 via tapatalk

bluedragon436
11-09-2013, 09:18 PM
I had a similar no headlight issue, or at least not on low beam every now and again after I upgraded my headlight harness and housings... and found that my issue was corrosion on the connection of the bulb to the harness... so I cleaned it all off using a wire brush and put some dielectric grease in the connection and didn't have another issue out of it... so might be worth a try and not really expensive to try either...