PDA

View Full Version : fix/replace alternator

xjstevie
09-27-2009, 03:37 PM
hi guys
was wondering if somebody could help. my alternator seems to be on the coffee. it is only charging between 13.2 and 13.7. the alternator light also stays on all the time. could it just be brushes or what? a new one her in South Africa costs $700 from the stealers and that is like close to my salary in SA Rands. can it just be brushes or what. she does charge at this rate as i road close to 300 mi yesterday with the light on and part of this during the night and the lights were as bright as usual.

DETOURS
10-06-2009, 07:28 PM
:shocker:....7 bills????
I would go to ebay and purchase brushes if possible, might easily cure the issue.

Typically, getting your alt. rebuilt here in the states costs $55-$65 bucks.

xjstevie
10-07-2009, 02:02 PM
well the alternator is going in on Friday to have the diodes checked out. a sparky thinks it's a diode with a problem as lately the light is of and the second there is a load drawn the light comes on. i also found a site which explains how to bypass the PCM regulator. the only problem will be is that the check light will permanently burn. hope its just a diode. he is going to mod some brushes and fit them anyway while he is busy.

DETOURS
10-07-2009, 06:57 PM
Sound like ya got it covered!