PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on Line-X....

d0nt_h8
09-27-2009, 02:23 PM
This is my current rig. I am in all likelihood going to do some extensive exterior Line-x treatment. Here's what I'm considering:
-Treating Front/Rear bumpers & push bars
-Treating new bushwacker fender flares
-Treating entire lower perimeter of vehicle, from about 1" above rocker panels down
-Treating entire roof, roof rack (baja rack, to be installed)
-Treating rear upper quarters around windows & back around window

I've read extensively about line-x and other treatments, and from what I've read so far, line-x is the only one which doesn't fade. I'm having the exterior repainted, so I want everything to be equally fresh on the outset.

Has anyone around found a better product, or maybe can relate any special steps or advice?

Thanks!

4.3LXJ
09-27-2009, 08:13 PM
Forever Black is good stuff also.

BlueXJ
09-28-2009, 05:48 AM
My only experience has been actual pick-up bed lining and if you give it sufficent curing time it is darned near industructable.

2000XJ
09-28-2009, 09:51 PM
Line-X does apply well, but I have seen 2 rigs with GREAT Line-X jobs, that have faded. I thought that the Duplicolor wouldn't fade either, but it has. I'm not sure if there is any way to avoid this with black that gets alot of direct sunlight.

Voldemort
09-29-2009, 12:24 AM
U-Pol Raptor is the kit I have always used. Plus you can reuse the gun for other coatings.http://www.tptools.com/Product.aspx?display_id=2600

d0nt_h8
09-30-2009, 07:33 PM
Thanks for the input, everyone! Wow.. I'm disappointed to hear that you've seen a couple of line-x jobs fade.. I may either have to just come to the realization I will have to have it redone... or go with a different arrangement.... How long did it take before fading was noticed on the black?

Voldemort
10-01-2009, 01:57 AM
Thanks for the input, everyone! Wow.. I'm disappointed to hear that you've seen a couple of line-x jobs fade.. I may either have to just come to the realization I will have to have it redone... or go with a different arrangement.... How long did it take before fading was noticed on the black?

I believe their is a product for Line-X to help with the fading but you would have to call a local installer to find out for sure.

2000XJ
10-01-2009, 04:35 PM

Honestly I didn't think to ask how long it was before they had noticed fading. I would say that it'd be a year or a couple summers before the fade really kicks in. Depends on variables like weather, temps, etc.

d0nt_h8
10-04-2009, 02:17 PM
I believe their is a product for Line-X to help with the fading but you would have to call a local installer to find out for sure.

Thanks! I just went down and got a quote of $600 for:
-under wheel wells
-fender flares
-both bumpers
-entire perimeter of vehicle from lower door crease down
-entire roof
-portion of rear hatch

I think that's pretty good.. now when I go to have it done, I'll ask about the fade issue... Anyone know about the peel factor? Seen line-x peel?

Voldemort
10-05-2009, 01:47 AM
Thanks! I just went down and got a quote of $600 for:
-under wheel wells
-fender flares
-both bumpers
-entire perimeter of vehicle from lower door crease down
-entire roof
-portion of rear hatch

I think that's pretty good.. now when I go to have it done, I'll ask about the fade issue... Anyone know about the peel factor? Seen line-x peel?

I just got the stuff to do mine to except I spent less and I got new paint for the upper crease up.
- Paint, reducer,hardener- $120 (enough to do it two full jobs so I can sand and paint it again after I beat it)
- 2 Raptor kits w/ two guns ( for floor board and upper crease down all the way around )- $180
- Professional rubberized undercoating Gallon (use extra raptor gun to spray this)$20
-Total $320:thumbsup::camera::camera:

If you do get Line-x make sure you take pics!:camera:

d0nt_h8
10-05-2009, 06:54 PM
I just got the stuff to do mine to except I spent less and I got new paint for the upper crease up.
- Paint, reducer,hardener- $120 (enough to do it two full jobs so I can sand and paint it again after I beat it)
- 2 Raptor kits w/ two guns ( for floor board and upper crease down all the way around )- $180
- Professional rubberized undercoating Gallon (use extra raptor gun to spray this)$20
-Total $320:thumbsup::camera::camera:

If you do get Line-x make sure you take pics!:camera:

Yep, either way pics WILL be taken & posted!

Voldemort
10-06-2009, 12:30 AM
Yep, either way pics WILL be taken & posted!

As soon as I can get it rolling and to the garage it will be on to the brake of dawn like donkey Kong playing ping pong in Hong Kong.:D

AZXJ
01-17-2010, 01:13 AM
I had Line-X on my truck and it faded and chipped. Line-x said they had a lifetime warranty against chipping but it was like pulling teeth to get them to honor it. I think the durability has alot to do with the pre-spray prep. And the fading can be reduced with additives they offer with an additional cost. Nothing last forever though! Eventually everything will fade and/or break down. It would definatley give you some long term protection though.

d0nt_h8
01-17-2010, 08:34 PM
I had Line-X on my truck and it faded and chipped. Line-x said they had a lifetime warranty against chipping but it was like pulling teeth to get them to honor it. I think the durability has alot to do with the pre-spray prep. And the fading can be reduced with additives they offer with an additional cost. Nothing last forever though! Eventually everything will fade and/or break down. It would definatley give you some long term protection though.

After much thought & research, I ended up going with a Rhino-Lining based product. Whatever you get, the professional treatments are just thicker & more robust than anything you can do at home..

Here's how it came out:
http://shookweb.us/1-9-10_6.jpg
http://shookweb.us/1-9-10_7.jpg

TheWeiss
01-20-2010, 04:07 PM
Looks great!

lil layfield
02-02-2010, 03:20 PM
i was thinkin of using some of the rubberized undercoating inside to kill some extra road noise and make it more sound proof on the inside. any tips o ideas or things that yall think will be better?

what i was thinkin is rubber undercoating over the entire floor and inside the doors and other panels then dyno mat over that. with the carpet toppin it off.

any hints? anyone ever done it before?

lil layfield
02-02-2010, 03:25 PM
o yea one more question.
how good is the bedliner at keepin away from all the lil dents and dings? or maybe a lil harder impact such as sticks or logs slammin against it.

lol im redneck and i take my jeep which i my dd where most people only take their toys.besides rock crawlin. not a whole of that round here. but anything else and im goin til it wont go anymore. ha :driving:

xjoverkill
02-02-2010, 07:08 PM
I dont have experience with rhino liner so i cant comment on the question
but i want to say WoW thats a nice lookin XJ . :thumbsup:

d0nt_h8
02-02-2010, 07:59 PM
o yea one more question.
how good is the bedliner at keepin away from all the lil dents and dings? or maybe a lil harder impact such as sticks or logs slammin against it.

lol im redneck and i take my jeep which i my dd where most people only take their toys.besides rock crawlin. not a whole of that round here. but anything else and im goin til it wont go anymore. ha :driving:

Well, all I can tell you is that I also had the roof of my rig treated. As I was getting ready to install the rack, I dropped my 4-cell maglite on the roof, and it just bounced off. No dent or ding. On the sides, I've already been on a few small trails, and I can't find a mark anywhere..

I can't tell you anything about the do it yourself stuff, I know it's a lot cheaper. I'm not sure you can get the same thickness with a DIY liner treatment. Anyone been able to replicate a spray job? :confused:

rguignard
02-02-2010, 08:08 PM
when are you doing the coilovers ? :thumbsup: are you going to beefup the shock mounts ?

d0nt_h8
02-02-2010, 08:22 PM
when are you doing the coilovers ? :thumbsup: are you going to beefup the shock mounts ?

Well, that question had never been brought up. I don't do super extreme wheeling.. my rig is in the process of being more of an expedition vehicle than anything, if I had to classify it.. so I'm not super sure I'd need it.. but I don't claim to know everything.. so enlighten me already! :D At what point would this need to happen?

rguignard
02-02-2010, 08:34 PM
Well, that question had never been brought up. I don't do super extreme wheeling.. my rig is in the process of being more of an expedition vehicle than anything, if I had to classify it.. so I'm not super sure I'd need it.. but I don't claim to know everything.. so enlighten me already! :D At what point would this need to happen?

im not sure but i think that the shock mounts arent made to support wight :eek: i would put that out there and see what come up :thumbsup: just my 2 cents :thumbsup:

rguignard
02-02-2010, 08:36 PM
btw your rig is way nice :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

d0nt_h8
02-03-2010, 12:13 PM
that's a great question.. I'm going to look into it this week! If things go right I'll have them installed by next monday.. Anyone else heard of this? Should those be reinforced before installing ACOS? Thanks, RGuignard

rguignard
02-03-2010, 01:28 PM
that's a great question.. I'm going to look into it this week! If things go right I'll have them installed by next monday.. Anyone else heard of this? Should those be reinforced before installing ACOS? Thanks, RGuignard

i might be wrong i was thinking you were going to a coil over shock :thumbsup: i guess i sould look at what i read :smiley-laughing021:

suzq044
02-08-2010, 03:22 PM
I am probably going to linex my entire interior of my fullsize cherokee. As a sound deadener, strengthener, and waterproofer; then put the interior over it. Dunno if this will be done with the xj

GT MOTORSPORTS
02-08-2010, 04:17 PM
Dont H8,

are you just adding the ACOS adjusters to adjust your hieght? If so then you need nothing else but to install them. I have ran them before and they work great. Now if you get them adjusted out(all the way at the bottom) then you may need to extend your bump stops because you just added that much more lift. If you flex your jeep out and your bumpstops are not long enough,you run the chance of your coils faling out. Just something to looking into.

Your Rhino lining looks killer,good contrast to the paint color! Good luck

Greg

d0nt_h8
02-09-2010, 11:16 PM
Nah, I just need about 1.5 - 2.0 inches. When my front suspension is under even slight flex they still make contact, and I need just a tad extra to clear them. You'd think that it wouldn't be an issue, especially with 15x8s, but oh well.. plus I don't like the forward rake it has from factory.. It at least needs to be level, I like the front end slightly higher.. so I'm thinking 2" @ the most... I'm very happy with it otherwise..

I'm also making the engine breathe easier with a new K&N air intake, plus a throttle body spacer.. she's got 200k, and I want to free up some air..

The very next thing will be a new radiator.. she still heats when going up hills.. and I'm going to replace the tow hitch.. but I need to actually be able to tow first without heating.. but that's for another post :D

Dont H8,

are you just adding the ACOS adjusters to adjust your hieght? If so then you need nothing else but to install them. I have ran them before and they work great. Now if you get them adjusted out(all the way at the bottom) then you may need to extend your bump stops because you just added that much more lift. If you flex your jeep out and your bumpstops are not long enough,you run the chance of your coils faling out. Just something to looking into.

Your Rhino lining looks killer,good contrast to the paint color! Good luck

Greg

d0nt_h8
02-09-2010, 11:18 PM
BTW, THANK YOU for that info.... exactly what I needed to know!

Nah, I just need about 1.5 - 2.0 inches. When my front suspension is under even slight flex they still make contact, and I need just a tad extra to clear them. You'd think that it wouldn't be an issue, especially with 15x8s, but oh well.. plus I don't like the forward rake it has from factory.. It at least needs to be level, I like the front end slightly higher.. so I'm thinking 2" @ the most... I'm very happy with it otherwise..

I'm also making the engine breathe easier with a new K&N air intake, plus a throttle body spacer.. she's got 200k, and I want to free up some air..

The very next thing will be a new radiator.. she still heats when going up hills.. and I'm going to replace the tow hitch.. but I need to actually be able to tow first without heating.. but that's for another post :D

rockyford708
02-21-2013, 03:03 PM
has anyone covered the hole jeep with line x. then painted over it. just wondering if it looks good or not. please reply and show me pics if you can.