PDA

View Full Version : Some fun at Badlands today....and some not fun.

firehawk
04-11-2009, 03:29 PM
Had a blast at Badlands today....for about 3 1/2 hours at least.:rolleyes: Then the "not fun" happened.

I was coming up out of the creek and my buddy hollered "YOU'VE GOT PROBLEMS"! Seems the rear LCA pivot bolt's nut came off and allowed the bolt to come out of the frame. So the left side rear wheel was sitting at a funky angle. Not good.:thumbdown: I had to ride his quad back to the Jeep and drive the Jeep AND trailer down the rocky, hole filled "road" back to the quads and load mine up. Again, some more "not fun".:thumbdown:

I've got it home now and it appears that it did not screw up anything transmission case wise, but having to drive it up onto the trailer appears to have cut up the CV boot, and chewed up the splines on the halfshaft. I'll know more when I get it torn apart. Like I said, it does not "appear" to have f***ed up the transmission case at all....I hope!:smiley-gen165:

BlueXJ
04-11-2009, 04:15 PM
Happy days. I hate when I am involved in a part that breaks or screws up. When you go back together with it use a "Nylock" nut then it won't just back off.

Mudderoy
04-11-2009, 04:37 PM
Factory control arms?

firehawk
04-11-2009, 05:22 PM
Funny thing is ALL the nuts on the suspension are Nylock's. We use them all the time on assemblies we build at work and never had a problem with them backing off. I found a old nylock in my junk drawer and used it to get everything back together for now. Of course I won't ride it until I get a new one.

I wish the bolt stuck out of the nut far enough to drill a hole in it and put a cotter pin in it. That way the nut could come loose, but not fall off and allow the bolt to back out of the frame. The end of the bolt is too close to the transmission case to allow it to stick out far enough. Bummer.

:DGood news is nothing it torn up.:smiley-gen165: Well other than the clamp that holds the CV boot on. I'll have to go to the dealer to get a new one of those. But at least I can move it into the yard to wash it off.

Oh, and BTW yes they are factory control arms. I guess I'll count my blessings, it could have been worse....ALOT WORSE!!!:o

Mudderoy
04-11-2009, 06:28 PM
Damn good excuse to buy you some adjustables!

I have new ones that came with my RC lift on the bottom, but I need to replace the uppers. RC says I can do adjustables on the top and use the fixed RC's on the bottom. I'd like to replace them both eventually.

Glad to hear everything is ok, for the most part. You're buddy and his keen eyes needs a pat on the back.

firehawk
04-11-2009, 06:42 PM
Damn good excuse to buy you some adjustables!

I have new ones that came with my RC lift on the bottom, but I need to replace the uppers. RC says I can do adjustables on the top and use the fixed RC's on the bottom. I'd like to replace them both eventually.

Glad to hear everything is ok, for the most part. You're buddy and his keen eyes needs a pat on the back.

:D EARTH TO TONY.....:D It is the LCA on my QUAD, not the Jeep.

Yeah, he has sharp eyes! I felt something "weird" coming up the hill out of the creek but thought it had slipped on some mud. When I got back up on the road it did it again. I stopped thinking maybe I had a flat tire and saw the tire tilted in and that was when he yelled at me about it.

Mudderoy
04-11-2009, 06:49 PM
:D EARTH TO TONY.....:D It is the LCA on my QUAD, not the Jeep.

Yeah, he has sharp eyes! I felt something "weird" coming up the hill out of the creek but thought it had slipped on some mud. When I got back up on the road it did it again. I stopped thinking maybe I had a flat tire and saw the tire tilted in and that was when he yelled at me about it.

Well I sure am glad it wasn't the Jeep. Things seem to break on my stuff right after I spend money on them. Usually something fun like a bumper, ya know. ;)

DETOURS
04-11-2009, 08:53 PM
Whhooooooboy.........poor Tony..........

firehawk
04-11-2009, 09:14 PM
Whhooooooboy.........poor Tony..........

Well I HAVE arrived, I have been quoted in somebody's signature!!!:rolleyes: "Ya liked that one huh Mark?:thumbsup:

xjjeepthing
04-11-2009, 09:17 PM
LOL You guys kill me