PDA

View Full Version : Recommend an inexpensive 2m antenna

olds-cool
10-25-2013, 08:59 PM
Hey guys, I passed my tech test a few months back and I'm looking to buy a mobile unit soon. :bacondance: At the moment I'm eyeing up some of the older Motorola Spectra commercial units since I have another HAM friend that can help to reprogram it into the 2m range, not really much work. If I can pony up enough cash, I'm looking at one of the 110watt trunk mount units with a remote mounted control head. This would be similar to Muddys rig install but these radios are beefier than a bull named Angus, and single banded. Most of the repeaters that I want to get on around here are in the 2m band and I'm just getting started so not a big deal. Couple this with the fact that a trunk mount unit can be had for under $100 and I'll be in it cheap. That of course leaves me with the need for an antenna that can keep up with a higher power rig, at least that's what I've read. I'm sure this is no problem for someone with a fat wallet, however mine seems to be on a diet for the next few months. Could you guys recommend an inexpensive antenna and what you think the best way would be to mount that particular unit? I'm over the fear of cutting into the body, a combo of previously hidden rust holes and installing Bushwackers will help you conquer that fear, so lay it all out.

Mudderoy
10-25-2013, 10:32 PM
Hey guys, I passed my tech test a few months back and I'm looking to buy a mobile unit soon. :bacondance: At the moment I'm eyeing up some of the older Motorola Spectra commercial units since I have another HAM friend that can help to reprogram it into the 2m range, not really much work. If I can pony up enough cash, I'm looking at one of the 110watt trunk mount units with a remote mounted control head. This would be similar to Muddys rig install but these radios are beefier than a bull named Angus, and single banded. Most of the repeaters that I want to get on around here are in the 2m band and I'm just getting started so not a big deal. Couple this with the fact that a trunk mount unit can be had for under $100 and I'll be in it cheap. That of course leaves me with the need for an antenna that can keep up with a higher power rig, at least that's what I've read. I'm sure this is no problem for someone with a fat wallet, however mine seems to be on a diet for the next few months. Could you guys recommend an inexpensive antenna and what you think the best way would be to mount that particular unit? I'm over the fear of cutting into the body, a combo of previously hidden rust holes and installing Bushwackers will help you conquer that fear, so lay it all out.

I learned a long time ago about the Larson antennas. I use the NMO mount. Now I've heard people talking about ahhhh Diamond antennas (I believe) But if it was me I'd get another Larson. Since it's a single band antenna it should be pretty cheap. You could always make one. Pretty simple 468/{freq} then divide that in half to get the quarter wave antenna length. A simple CB mount and 50 ohm coax and your done.

olds-cool
10-26-2013, 08:41 AM
I thought about cutting one of those stainless whips down. I've got one out in the garage that I've been meaning to hook up to the CB but for the $20 I paid over a year ago, I think I can sacrifice it.

prerunner1982
01-13-2014, 03:00 PM
Ed, so what did you come up with for an antenna?