PDA

View Full Version : Pulling hard to the left when braking in the rain

Nicksdsm
09-27-2009, 12:05 AM
I only feel it when it rains. If I apply the brakes lightly it pulls hard to the left(drivers side). If I apply the brakes moderate, the front drivers side wheel locks up and makes me feel like I'm loosing control of the vehicle. I'm not applying the brakes hard enough to lock them up. I do not have ABS. When it's dry outside, I don't have any problems. Any one with any ideas?

Mudderoy
09-27-2009, 01:06 AM
I only feel it when it rains. If I apply the brakes lightly it pulls hard to the left(drivers side). If I apply the brakes moderate, the front drivers side wheel locks up and makes me feel like I'm loosing control of the vehicle. I'm not applying the brakes hard enough to lock them up. I do not have ABS. When it's dry outside, I don't have any problems. Any one with any ideas?

Mine pulls slightly to the driver's side. I was told to replace the calipers.

2000XJ
09-27-2009, 01:48 AM
Sounds like a sticky caliper.

xjjeepthing
09-27-2009, 07:29 AM
Sticky caliper, or a collapsing brake hose

Nicksdsm
09-27-2009, 09:20 AM
I'm going to check the calipers today. How would I fix it or does it have to be replaced?

BlueXJ
09-27-2009, 09:32 AM
They are rebuildable. Kits are about $20-25. Do both sides at the same time.

lowrider
09-27-2009, 04:01 PM
thats what mine just started doing.

Nicksdsm
09-27-2009, 08:14 PM
I'm going to replace both calipers and flush the brake system. Hopefully the problem will be fixed.

Melissa
09-27-2009, 11:48 PM
I'm going to replace both calipers and flush the brake system. Hopefully the problem will be fixed.

Let us know what your outcome is, I'm really interested in knowing :)

BlueXJ
09-28-2009, 12:50 AM
Are you rebuilding your calipers or getting rebuilt one to replace yours? If getting rebuilt ones then look for ATE rebuilts.

Nicksdsm
09-28-2009, 06:33 PM
Well all the parts are ordered and should be in tomorrow. I ordered 2 new calipers $35 each, 2 new brake lines $15 each. I'm going to install everything at my friends shop so they can use there machine for the brake fluid. After everything is done, it should not hurt me to much, about $200 total.

Mudderoy
09-28-2009, 07:12 PM
Well all the parts are ordered and should be in tomorrow. I ordered 2 new calipers $35 each, 2 new brake lines $15 each. I'm going to install everything at my friends shop so they can use there machine for the brake fluid. After everything is done, it should not hurt me to much, about $200 total.

Please let us know how it turns out, and if there are any unexpected surprises.

Nicksdsm
09-28-2009, 08:59 PM
Will do, hopefully no unexpected surprises.

Nicksdsm
09-29-2009, 06:30 PM
Everything is all done. New front brakes, brake lines, calipers and brake fluid flush. While I was on the way home, I jammed on the brakes twice. It's dry outside so I'm not 100% sure if it's fixed but it stops a lot faster and in a straight line. I'll reply again next time it rains to give my final conclusion.

Nicksdsm
09-29-2009, 06:31 PM
oh and no surprises

Nicksdsm
10-07-2009, 12:49 PM
It finally rained last night. I took my XJ out for a drive and the brakes worked great. Im finally in complete control.

Nicksdsm
10-16-2009, 07:08 PM
OMG... It happened again. I drove about 66 miles to VA today in the rain and the whole time it was pulling to the left again. I got to my destination and turned off my vehicle. After about 15 minutes, I started it back up and drove home. On the way home there was no pulling. So on the way to VA, it pulled and on the way back, it did not. I'm stumped. I'm guessing it's the Master cylinder. Anyone with a suggestion?

Mudderoy
10-16-2009, 07:12 PM
What could it be if it isn't the brakes? Could a bad front end part cause the problem? Bad tie rod end for example?

Nicksdsm
10-16-2009, 07:22 PM
I'm up to taking on any suggestions. It's kinda "really" scary.

Nicksdsm
10-16-2009, 07:31 PM
I was thinking about replacing my tie rod ends, Sway bar links and sway bar bushings soon. And I know I'm in need of a new track bar. Would any of these things affect my braking?

Mudderoy
10-16-2009, 07:35 PM
I'm at a loss. You know mine pulls to the left, slightly, when braking. I assumed it was a bad caliper like yours. I know that if the pads are down to the metal and you brake it will pull, but you did new pads.

I wonder if it is possible to check the pressure on each brake line and see if it different. I wonder what pressure it is supposed to be?

There isn't a proportioning valve for left and right front brakes is there?

Nicksdsm
10-16-2009, 07:42 PM
When I changed the Calipers and the hoses I changed the pads too. From what I've read, there is not a proportioning valve for the front. unfortunately mine does not pull slightly. Mine feels like I'm going to spin around in a circle. Is there anything electrical controlling the brakes? I do not have ABS. It's funny how it stopped happening after I turned it off.

muddeprived
10-16-2009, 09:08 PM
Let's not forget about the rear brakes. Uneven adjusted rears will cause pulling. Check for leaks coming from the axle tube or wheel cylinder. make sure they are adjusted the same on both sides. If it's not the rear then we can eliminate them as the culprit......

Nicksdsm
10-16-2009, 09:12 PM
Your right, I'll check them tomorrow.

Logans91XJ
10-28-2009, 04:27 AM
hey I am not sure where you are at with your brakes but I had the same issue with mine except mine was to the right. Well it got so bad that my caliper froze up on me and was causing my right rear tire to lock up. Once I took off the front right sure enough it was completely seized up. So I went Auto Zone and bought new calipers rotors and pads. I think for everything it was 120.00 dollars.. Plus I got a core charge for the calipers when I returned the old ones. Well I was at it I put Stainless Steel Brake Lines from Rusty's.

I also found out that I had one DEAD shock on the right so i really feel that having a dead shock caused my front caliper to freeze by being over worked. So make sure you check your shocks cause if they collapse and don't return on their own then they need to be replaced. I also replaced my front shocks with Bilstein 5100's!!! What a Bad *** Shock from the Germans

After all this was done it made a HUGE DIFFERENCE!!! OH MY GOSH THIS WAS 100% improvement! Jeep doesn't pull to one side when braking and the pedal doesn't feel like mush.. Also make sure you bleed your brakes from Rear to front. I flushed mine and the old fluid look like dark snot after a cold that would put you in the hospital.... Make sure you have someone to help you bleed and flush your brakes all around with new fluid.

muddeprived
10-28-2009, 06:55 AM
hey I am not sure where you are at with your brakes but I had the same issue with mine except mine was to the right. Well it got so bad that my caliper froze up on me and was causing my right rear tire to lock up. Once I took off the front right sure enough it was completely seized up. So I went Auto Zone and bought new calipers rotors and pads. I think for everything it was 120.00 dollars.. Plus I got a core charge for the calipers when I returned the old ones. Well I was at it I put Stainless Steel Brake Lines from Rusty's.

I also found out that I had one DEAD shock on the right so i really feel that having a dead shock caused my front caliper to freeze by being over worked. So make sure you check your shocks cause if they collapse and don't return on their own then they need to be replaced. I also replaced my front shocks with Bilstein 5100's!!! What a Bad *** Shock from the Germans

After all this was done it made a HUGE DIFFERENCE!!! OH MY GOSH THIS WAS 100% improvement! Jeep doesn't pull to one side when braking and the pedal doesn't feel like mush.. Also make sure you bleed your brakes from Rear to front. I flushed mine and the old fluid look like dark snot after a cold that would put you in the hospital.... Make sure you have someone to help you bleed and flush your brakes all around with new fluid.

dark snot.....:rotfl2:

Nicksdsm
10-29-2009, 06:09 AM
since the last post, I replaced the rear brakes. It still pulls once and awhile. So now I started to focus on the suspension. I noticed my tie rod ends are completely wore out. They have alot of play. I'm going to replace them next.

Nicksdsm
10-29-2009, 06:37 AM
I hope the problem is not my shocks, they're new. But now that I think about it, I did not notice the problem until after I put my lift on. I guess I something else to check now. My jeep is more demanding then my baby momma.

muddeprived
10-29-2009, 07:58 AM
I hope the problem is not my shocks, they're new. But now that I think about it, I did not notice the problem until after I put my lift on. I guess I something else to check now. My jeep is more demanding then my baby momma.

Check those tie rod ends. Lifting a vehicle changes the angles and geometry of the suspension and steering. Your joints may have been bad but still ok at stock height but once you lifted it, the angles changed and the joints took a poop.

Make sure your alignment is set properly, caster is good, and your axles are evenly set under the jeep. These things can cause odd handling.

Logans91XJ
10-29-2009, 11:55 AM
check your Upper and Lower Control Arms. Also check your Steering Stabilizer..

Brake Master Cylinder!!! <------- check that and the bias control

Mudderoy
10-29-2009, 12:15 PM
Take the steering wheel off and drive a new Jeep under it. :rotfl2:

Mudderoy
02-23-2010, 12:55 AM
Interesting "possible" new development, at least for my Jeep.

This past weekend I changed the front shocks, from the shocks that came with the RC 4.5" lift to some RC (Rough Country) RC 9000 series shocks.

Driving to and from work Monday I had a few hard braking situations. Each time I turn the steering wheel to the right, slightly, to counteract the left hand pulling. To my surprise I didn't go straight, my direction went slightly right!

It appears that changing the shocks has completely removed the left hand pull during hard braking.

I'll have to wait and see how this progresses. I find it strange that shocks would have anything to do with the reaction properties of the brakes.

Mudderoy
02-23-2010, 12:38 PM
Confirmed. No more pulling to the left during braking. It pulls ever so slightly to the right now. I'm a happy man.

muddeprived
02-23-2010, 12:50 PM
That's good that you solved it. How's it riding?

Mudderoy
02-23-2010, 12:52 PM
That's good that you solved it. How's it riding?

Seems the same. It's not like it was pulling to the left all that bad. For someone that wasn't used to it, it might be a little unnerving.

Mudderoy
04-09-2010, 08:17 PM
Pull to the left is back. I'd still like to know why changing the shocks had ANYTHING to do with it.

I think I need to change the 12 year old brake fluid and probably replace the lines.

4.3LXJ
04-09-2010, 09:47 PM
Muddy, how does the rotor look?

Voldemort
04-10-2010, 12:47 AM
To the OP how was your front caliper bolts?

Mudderoy
04-10-2010, 05:31 AM
Muddy, how does the rotor look?

Same problem old rotor, new. It's been doing this for a very long time.

Nicksdsm
06-30-2010, 06:03 PM
Update :

After all my time in and out of the shop, I finally fixed my brake problem. After replacing the brake pads, calipers, lines, and rotors with new, not re-manufactured parts twice. I measured the rotor temperatures with a laser thermometer. After a short drive in the city, the drivers side rotor was around 375 Degrees and the passenger side was about 212 Degrees. I was down to the the last part that could be the problem. I had my shop change the master cylinder. After the master cylinder was change, there is no pulling and it stops much quicker now. I don't smell burning brakes anymore. Both drivers side and passenger side rotors stay at about 212-225 Degrees. I'm so glad my brake problem is over.