PDA

View Full Version : 97XJ Bug Out / Toy

pschrei82
10-16-2013, 09:51 AM
Whats up guys.

So I have been trolling around XJTalk for a few years now drooling over all the builds and fun.:drool: I finally pulled the trigger and decided to join in.
My name is Philip Schrei. Im a fitness/survival professional by trade. I have been wanting to get an XJ for a bug out vehicle, but also a toy for some weekend fun.
I am by no means a mechanic. I do good to change my own oil and a burnt out headlight. I have a huge learning curve ahead of me but Im super eager to learn. So this should be fun.

Ive been looking to get an XJ for a while now and here recently I finally found myself in a position to buy one. So I did!:banana::banana::banana:
I needed something in good running shape since in not that good of a fixeruper.
Here it is:
97 XJ 4.0L Inline 6Cyl 4x4
222k Mileage
From what I can tell the owner took great care of it.
New compressor
New starter/Plug wires
New hoses and tubes
Some new electrical
Some protective paint on the underbody
Clean all over

More to come soon.

4.3LXJ
10-16-2013, 10:42 AM
Is it just me? Not seeing the pics

xj4life2
10-16-2013, 10:45 AM
nope no pics :(

Mudderoy
10-16-2013, 10:47 AM
Is it just me? Not seeing the pics

It's just you. :P

4.3LXJ
10-16-2013, 10:48 AM
It's just you. :P

OK, changing my deodorant :pray:

Mudderoy
10-16-2013, 10:52 AM
Whats up guys.

So I have been trolling around XJTalk for a few years now drooling over all the builds and fun.:drool: I finally pulled the trigger and decided to join in.
My name is Philip Schrei. Im a fitness/survival professional by trade. I have been wanting to get an XJ for a bug out vehicle, but also a toy for some weekend fun.
I am by no means a mechanic. I do good to change my own oil and a burnt out headlight. I have a huge learning curve ahead of me but Im super eager to learn. So this should be fun.

Ive been looking to get an XJ for a while now and here recently I finally found myself in a position to buy one. So I did!:banana::banana::banana:
I needed something in good running shape since in not that good of a fixeruper.
Here it is:
97 XJ 4.0L Inline 6Cyl 4x4
222k Mileage
From what I can tell the owner took great care of it.
New compressor
New starter/Plug wires
New hoses and tubes
Some new electrical
Some protective paint on the underbody
Clean all over

Listing Pic
http://www.xjtalk.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=3739&d=1381934458

Pics from 1st look

http://www.xjtalk.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=3740&d=1381934680
http://www.xjtalk.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=3741&d=1381934680
http://www.xjtalk.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=3742&d=1381934680
http://www.xjtalk.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=3743&d=1381934723
http://www.xjtalk.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=3745&stc=1&d=1381935030

More to come soon.

:welcome: to :xjtalk: Yeah what you tried to do here with the pictures actually makes perfect sense but just doesn't work with attachments. I think the attached pictures are "attached" to a single post so when you try to reference them from another post the image isn't displayed.

Sorry about that, damn goofy software.

Hey I reached out to a couple of "survival" types on the Internet for a podcast interview. We have a little weekly show "XJ TALK SHOW!" and since my Jeep build came about after a CAT 5 hurricane threated us I was interested in getting the perspective of how to and what you should expected as it relates to our Cherokees.

If you haven't heard the show, have a listen so you'll get the idea of the quality, or lack of, before you agree to the interview. Podcast on the navbar above, or just go to http://xjtalkshow.com/

Thanks and again, welcome. :xj-red:

msmoorenburg
10-16-2013, 10:57 AM
Welcome Phillip :smiley-taunt002: let me know when you want to make it GROW up :xj-white:

pschrei82
10-16-2013, 11:20 AM
:welcome: to :xjtalk: Yeah what you tried to do here with the pictures actually makes perfect sense but just doesn't work with attachments. I think the attached pictures are "attached" to a single post so when you try to reference them from another post the image isn't displayed.

Sorry about that, damn goofy software.

Hey I reached out to a couple of "survival" types on the Internet for a podcast interview. We have a little weekly show "XJ TALK SHOW!" and since my Jeep build came about after a CAT 5 hurricane threated us I was interested in getting the perspective of how to and what you should expected as it relates to our Cherokees.

If you haven't heard the show, have a listen so you'll get the idea of the quality, or lack of, before you agree to the interview. Podcast on the navbar above, or just go to http://xjtalkshow.com/

Thanks and again, welcome. :xj-red:

I take a very simple approach to survival.:crazy: I need to get me, my family, and friends (whatever the case may be) away from the threat in the most quick and efficient meaner possible. With that being said, situations alter circumstances.
Id be more than happy to go in to more details if desired and when time allows.

Brasscatz
10-16-2013, 11:28 AM
Welcome! Wow, that is a clean jeep! I'm not too far away from you on the north beltway. If you need anything, don't hesitate to ask!

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4 because my microwave couldn't do it

pschrei82
10-16-2013, 11:31 AM
Welcome Phillip :smiley-taunt002: let me know when you want to make it GROW up :xj-white:

Im gonna work up a todo list and run it by you to prioritize things.
If you think there's nothing mechanical that needs to be done 1st, then it will grow very soon:bacondance:

pschrei82
10-16-2013, 11:33 AM
Welcome! Wow, that is a clean jeep! I'm not too far away from you on the north beltway. If you need anything, don't hesitate to ask!

Thanks a lot I appreciate it! :thumbsup:

pschrei82
10-16-2013, 11:44 AM
Ill throw up a few more pix.

ArmyGuy45
10-16-2013, 01:01 PM
Really clean and you have a good rear axle on it! Congrats and good luck with the build.

oderdene
10-16-2013, 08:37 PM
Nice jeep. How did you keep it this clean? :) Jeep needs some mud and dirt, Bro.

happy building and mud for her :D

XJ Wheeler
10-16-2013, 10:45 PM
Hey Philip, welcome to xjtalk. I'm just north of you, south of Conroe. I like the sound of that, survival professional. What kind of things does that entail?

Anyways, great looking jeep. Really clean. What do you plan on doing to it, modification wise?

Sent via messenger pigeon - i talk, he types.

pschrei82
10-17-2013, 08:30 AM
Hey Philip, welcome to xjtalk. I'm just north of you, south of Conroe. I like the sound of that, survival professional. What kind of things does that entail?

Anyways, great looking jeep. Really clean. What do you plan on doing to it, modification wise?

I own a company called Be Ready Fit and we specialize in Fitness, Nutrition, Survival. We have been up and going for about a year now so we are still relatively small. Our mission is to simply help you be ready for anything life sends your way. So fitness and nutrition are self explanatory.

On the survival end of things, we do anything from being mugged in a walmart parking lot at gun point,(rendering the threat neutral) to evaluating an individuals current situation. The ability to survive _______. Earthquake, Fire, Hurricane, Flood, ect. Any kind of natural disaster. The basics. Water, Food Shelter, Clothing, Hygiene, Communication, Transportation, Self-Defense. We find the weak points and make recommendations on where to improve and then we help implement those improvements.

In a very small nut shell thats what we do.

The plan for the "eep"
As I said up above. I want this to be a Bug out / weekend fun toy.
To that end I want to get it to its most efficient and effective state so I can get out of Dodge when the need arises. I spent 10 hours on the road going from Spring to Livingston during Ike. Never again!:bang:
Im working on a list of things I want to do. Basic things like bumpers, roof rack, lights, wench, lift. Im not to mechanically savvy so im going to rely on a good friends recommendations (cough) Matt (cough) :rolleye0012:and the good input of my new friends of XJTalk.

So we go from here. Thanks for all the warm welcomes and well wishes.

XJ Wheeler
10-17-2013, 01:31 PM
I own a company called Be Ready Fit and we specialize in Fitness, Nutrition, Survival. We have been up and going for about a year now so we are still relatively small. Our mission is to simply help you be ready for anything life sends your way. So fitness and nutrition are self explanatory.

On the survival end of things, we do anything from being mugged in a walmart parking lot at gun point,(rendering the threat neutral) to evaluating an individuals current situation. The ability to survive _______. Earthquake, Fire, Hurricane, Flood, ect. Any kind of natural disaster. The basics. Water, Food Shelter, Clothing, Hygiene, Communication, Transportation, Self-Defense. We find the weak points and make recommendations on where to improve and then we help implement those improvements.

In a very small nut shell thats what we do.

The plan for the "eep"
As I said up above. I want this to be a Bug out / weekend fun toy.
To that end I want to get it to its most efficient and effective state so I can get out of Dodge when the need arises. I spent 10 hours on the road going from Spring to Livingston during Ike. Never again!:bang:
Im working on a list of things I want to do. Basic things like bumpers, roof rack, lights, wench, lift. Im not to mechanically savvy so im going to rely on a good friends recommendations (cough) Matt (cough) :rolleye0012:and the good input of my new friends of XJTalk.

So we go from here. Thanks for all the warm welcomes and well wishes.

That's very interesting! I always try and plan for everything, being prepared for what i can foresee. So this sounds right up my alley! Now, the fitness part i would struggle with but i won't go there. :rolleyes:

Like many in this area I've had my dealings with hurricanes as well. Up until May '12 i lived near Beaumont, and in recent years has had full on hits from major storms. The key to not sitting in the evacuation... leave before they call one. In Rita we left a day early with no problem, while a family member left when the evac was called and it took 30 hours to make 200 miles.

Sounds like a good plan. Matt is a good guy to question, you just can't stump him. Feel free to ask the minds on here anytime. Its a great place to get info.

4.3LXJ
10-17-2013, 01:41 PM
I try to stay fit, so we are in agreement. I have always had at least one functional 4WD around for those rare nasty storms etc. Besides, I like to head for the mountains and that means snow even on the interstate. Then there is all the other good stuff thrown in. :D

bluedragon436
10-17-2013, 01:42 PM
Very clean looking Jeep, and between Matt and the other folks here they'll def get you pointed in the right direction on setting up your new XJ!! Is it just me or is that new A/C compressor only being held on by one bolt???

XJ Wheeler
10-17-2013, 01:59 PM
Very clean looking Jeep, and between Matt and the other folks here they'll def get you pointed in the right direction on setting up your new XJ!! Is it just me or is that new A/C compressor only being held on by one bolt???

Good catch! I think you're right.

pschrei82
10-18-2013, 07:23 AM

Went home to take a look and sure was. one bolt. Good eye:shocker:

msmoorenburg
10-18-2013, 07:33 AM

That's ok I have extra's for ya

pschrei82
10-18-2013, 07:49 AM
That's ok I have extra's for ya

:thumbsup:

pschrei82
10-21-2013, 08:09 AM
Got to work on the Liner a little this weekend. got sick of it tickln my bald head! I had to lay my seat back low riden style lol also gonna get a new sound bar. it was "pre cut" to fit 6x9. its got a little crack in it and it kinda weak IMO.

prcjeep
10-24-2013, 03:56 PM
Looking forward to the build! I am also in Houston and moving back towards the cypress/spring area myself at the end of next month.

I would be happy to lend a hand as well or offer any advice when I can.

prcjeep
10-24-2013, 03:58 PM
Got to work on the Liner a little this weekend. got sick of it tickln my bald head! I had to lay my seat back low riden style lol also gonna get a new sound bar. it was "pre cut" to fit 6x9. its got a little crack in it and it kinda weak IMO.

My headliner is getting to the point where its about to be touching my head as well, I just have no driveway/garage place to work on mine at my apt.

Brasscatz
10-24-2013, 04:28 PM
My headliner is getting to the point where its about to be touching my head as well, I just have no driveway/garage place to work on mine at my apt.

Maybe you and I need to fix both of our headliners in my driveway some day soon

XJ Wheeler
10-24-2013, 08:28 PM
Seems like a trend... Mine has become a giant hat that flaps in the wind. :rolleyes:

editedforsafety
10-25-2013, 10:46 AM
I need to do my headliner as well, it's starting to bother me.

pschrei82
10-29-2013, 07:53 AM
LOL with as many of us as there are with this drooping headliner, we could form a support group. Hello my names Philip and my XJ has a drooping headliner. :crazy:

pschrei82
10-29-2013, 08:07 AM
So no new updates on the jeep as of yet, However my Ram now needs some work done to it thanks to a nice little KIA that decided to run across 3 lanes and cut me off trying to get in to a turn lane.:bang: Heres a few pics from the damage. From what I can tell nothing to bad, although I think my alignment is not out of wack.

4.3LXJ
10-29-2013, 10:44 AM
Had that happen to the XJ. The S10 hit the front wheel and bounced off. Had to be towed. My poor fender flare has a little white mark on it. The gal tried to sue the insurance company and they wanted to see the damage to the Jeep. Big smiles when I showed them. :D

pschrei82
10-29-2013, 12:49 PM
Had that happen to the XJ. The S10 hit the front wheel and bounced off. Had to be towed. My poor fender flare has a little white mark on it. The gal tried to sue the insurance company and they wanted to see the damage to the Jeep. Big smiles when I showed them. :D

LOL. Bet that was a good feeling!:smiley-taunt002:

4.3LXJ
10-29-2013, 01:33 PM
LOL. Bet that was a good feeling!:smiley-taunt002:

Oh yes, I hammed it up. I made a big dramatic production out of it. I had to show them all the damage. I said there it is. Where. Right there. What damage? Why this white mark right here. :P

Brasscatz
10-29-2013, 03:50 PM
Damn Philip.... your truck just wanted a little "Soul" eh? But seriously though, I'm betting that was one of the famous Houstonians that expects to FORCE their way over in front of you. Probably didn't even use a blinker. God how I can't stand Houston drivers.... I wish I had a civilian police badge so I could ticket the CRAP out of a lot of people!!! Glad you're alright buddy.

XJ Wheeler
10-30-2013, 02:05 AM
Damn Philip.... your truck just wanted a little "Soul" eh? But seriously though, I'm betting that was one of the famous Houstonians that expects to FORCE their way over in front of you. Probably didn't even use a blinker. God how I can't stand Houston drivers.... I wish I had a civilian police badge so I could ticket the CRAP out of a lot of people!!! Glad you're alright buddy.

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX2!

pschrei82
10-30-2013, 10:16 AM

Nailed it! Truthfully i couldn't tell if there was a blinker involved. All I saw was her face when she saw my Ram grill in her passenger window.:shocker:

Mudderoy
10-30-2013, 10:27 AM

Get it on video, and put it on YouTube. Great therapy! :bacondance:

pschrei82
11-11-2013, 06:31 AM
Yahoo I had some time to work on my headliner! Looks pretty good what do ya think?

Happy Vday:patriot:

ArmyGuy45
11-11-2013, 06:44 AM
Yahoo I had some time to work on my headliner! Looks pretty good what do ya think?

Happy Vday:patriot:

Looks good!:yourock:

Brasscatz
11-11-2013, 07:39 AM
Looking good!

4.3LXJ
11-11-2013, 10:54 AM
Those make so much difference

pschrei82
09-11-2014, 11:41 AM
Hey all! Its been a while. Life gets in the way of posting. Ive got a little time so I thought I would give everyone an update. So I got rear ended a few weeks ago. As I was trying to merge on to the Southbound feeder road of I45 and Louetta right by the Chedders, the person behind me thought it would be a good idea to floor it trying to out run the 18wheeler coming down the road, not realizing I had come to a full stop letting the 18wheeler have the right of way. Got my head knocked a bit but all in all it was worth it. I got a pretty nice insurance check!:banana::banana::banana: so I went to LKQ and got a new hatch. I got lucky, they had a white one that matched perfectly. (thanks for the help Matt!) With the rest of the money I ordered Smittybilt XRC front and rear bumpers with the tire carrier. I am now in the process of putting those on. (thanks again Matt!) So thats where we are. Everyone stay safe and vigelant today. Never Forget 9/116021

pschrei82
09-11-2014, 11:46 AM
A few more pix. Still working on getting everything installed.6027

bluedragon436
09-11-2014, 12:47 PM
Those bumpers are looking good.. Need to get you some steel armor to add to the XJ and the Ram to protect you not against the zombies, but against the local drivers!!

Brasscatz
09-11-2014, 02:32 PM
Ouch dude, I've always hated that Louetta exit... I've almost been in several wrecks right there. Glad you're ok and getting that jeep fixed back up!

XJ Wheeler
09-11-2014, 07:44 PM
Houston drivers have got to be the worst! Sorry to hear that happened but making the best of it worked out great!

pschrei82
09-24-2015, 10:34 PM
So im long over due for an update so here goes.
A tone of lights a tone of wire
a new XJ for the wife
2 winches
New heater core evaporator core and condenser on the white one. Full dash removal. That was a blast.

Im working on a light relay box. Bleepinjeep has a good DIY im working with.
and lastly im about to install the Rough Country 6.5in and roll on32s

pschrei82
09-24-2015, 10:39 PM
Had fun geting the core box back in.

pschrei82
09-24-2015, 10:43 PM
Also got some really nice custom light bar mount done by Wheeler Fabrication!

pschrei82
09-24-2015, 10:50 PM
And here is the 2001 Sport for the wife

XJ Wheeler
09-24-2015, 11:04 PM
I feel like I've seen these jeeps somewhere before. :D

I bet you're glad the dash part of the system is done! Making progress!

pschrei82
09-25-2015, 08:57 PM
Ya know it was all in my head. It really wasnt as hard as I was thinking it would be. I got to a point in my head where it all just came together and it was fun from there on out. I dont wanna do it again anytime soon lol but I would be comfortable with it if I had to.:mel:

XJ Wheeler
09-25-2015, 09:09 PM
Ya know it was all in my head. It really wasnt as hard as I was thinking it would be. I got to a point in my head where it all just came together and it was fun from there on out. I dont wanna do it again anytime soon lol but I would be comfortable with it if I had to.:mel:

I can definitely understand that! Sometimes we are our own worst enemy. Frame of mind can make ALL the difference.

Brasscatz
09-26-2015, 10:35 PM
Did ya get rid of the Focus?

pschrei82
09-28-2015, 12:21 AM
yep Focus is history. It was a horrible car. all kinds of problens from electrical to really bad transmission design. we took it in because it was almost stalling and chugging like a person trying to drive a stick for the first time. it was an auto. the service tech said oh thats normal. you have a standard automatic transmission. :bang::crazy: they gave me some kind of write up on it. They called it "the pulling a tailor effect" LOL:flameon: I did some research on it and found out it was total junk
So ya we sold it as fast as we could

bluedragon436
09-28-2015, 10:27 AM
Both XJ's look clean and certainly look like they are coming together nicely!! Hoping I can get my heat working again, by just slushing and back flushing hte heater core... and not have to change the core out completely.. But if so, then I guess that task will be coming up.. (as much as I don't really want to tear into pulling the dash..

pschrei82
09-28-2015, 10:39 PM
I really enjoyed it..but ya i would have rather had that time to work on something else.