PDA

View Full Version : 1988 Jeep Comanche. tail light issues

rentakid94
10-15-2013, 12:33 AM
hey guys,
Finally decided to buy a jeep, been a GM guy all my life so decided to switch it up a bit. anyway. The taillights have been very flaky. at first it was when one side would work the other side wouldnt, now my drivers side taillight doesnt work at all. and the passenger side everything works. iv gone through the wires along the frame rail. and everything. made sure nothing was shorted out. and the ground was good. very confused on what this could be. any help would be greatly apprecieated. getting tired of getting pulled over haha. thanks

BlueXJ
10-15-2013, 01:28 AM
Check the headlight switch. they get coroded and give intermitten problems.
they are a mid 50s Chevrolet switch like a 56 or 57.

NW99XJ
10-16-2013, 08:46 AM
I would also look at the bulb sockets themselves.....and any interconnects that may be between the light and the main harness.
But to me that sounds like a potential corrosion issue at the light itself.
Check for oxidation in the socket and around the bulb, or even on the bulb itself.
Clean it up with a file, or steel wool, scotchbrite, etc.... or replace it.
Then slather it all real good with Dielectric grease.
This will keep the electrical connection good, as well as ward off any future corrosion.
Hope this helps, let us know what you find.

If you decide to tear into the headlight switch (i would also take a courtesy look at the brake light switch) then THIS ARTICLE (http://xjtalk.com/showthread.php?t=11357) might be of some use to you.....
Good luck.