PDA

View Full Version : 456

okeedokee
09-25-2009, 10:16 PM
Well why the heck did I take so long to put new gears in they are flat aw some .If you ever thought about it don't think no more cuz it is awesome.
My toy is like a hole new one hardly touch the brakes and I can wheel in 2nd and drive in some places. What a difference.

4.3LXJ
09-25-2009, 10:37 PM
You took so long because it costs money right? But worth every penny, right?

Mudderoy
09-26-2009, 12:11 AM
It's pricey alright, but correct installation is so critical. Gives me the willies, and I've rebuilt engines. I want to learn now to set up my own gears.

Back to what you were saying, yes it is very awesome. Break them in right though!

It's like driving a stock XJ again but on 32" tires and 6' high!

okeedokee
09-26-2009, 09:42 AM
No not really the cost. Just a lot of time. It cost me $200 for a d30 with 456 gears and new upper and lower ball joints . A good find on crags list. The d30 was done by Randy's ring and pinion. And then I shop around for the 456 gears for my 8.8 and got a good deal from a local shop for $345. And that was gears and a master kit.The hardies part was getting the back space right. Take it apart and put it back together and then do it again and again and again until you get it right.And then put it back together with all new bearing and crush sleeve and seals you are good to go.Really was not to hard just a lot of time to get it right.
Duane

alwaysxj
09-26-2009, 12:11 PM
wish i could do this but i just don't have the cash. i will just have to go work the corner. right!

BlueXJ
09-26-2009, 04:00 PM
Put the girl in your avatar to work on that corner. You will have gear money in the morning.

2000XJ
09-27-2009, 01:42 AM
Congrats on new gears!

Mudderoy
09-27-2009, 08:43 AM
No not really the cost. Just a lot of time. It cost me $200 for a d30 with 456 gears and new upper and lower ball joints . A good find on crags list. The d30 was done by Randy's ring and pinion. And then I shop around for the 456 gears for my 8.8 and got a good deal from a local shop for $345. And that was gears and a master kit.The hardies part was getting the back space right. Take it apart and put it back together and then do it again and again and again until you get it right.And then put it back together with all new bearing and crush sleeve and seals you are good to go.Really was not to hard just a lot of time to get it right.
Duane

What tools did you use to set up the gears? I remember pricing some a while back and I seem to recall they were pretty expensive. I'd like to buy a spare Dana 30 and get the tools and then try setting up the gears. I guess I'd need a bearing press also (on and off).

okeedokee
09-27-2009, 01:38 PM
Just happen to know the right person who already had one. So really did not have to buy any tools just borrowed. And a little trick is after pressing old bearing and crush sleeve off take a small hand grinder and grind down a little off the inside so it slip's on and off and the work on the back spacing until you get it right then press on new bearing and sleeve and put it all back together for the last time.