PDA

View Full Version : Irwin Tools

Carves
09-21-2013, 10:17 PM
After some feedback on the current quality of their gear.

Been looking at updating from my mix of good and bad stuff - and am drawn to this as a car kit - to leave under the back seat ...

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/91Dp0eQdtBL.jpg

Just wondering whether the sidecutters "snip" ... or mangle ... etc.,

Or should I just stick with my preference for this stuff, whilst the bulk hardware store chain has em cheap ...

https://bnnn72.ssl-cdn.s.mel.secureinf.net/Product-800x800/e77b25f5-8663-464c-9892-3209de3b9dd1.JPG

4.3LXJ
09-21-2013, 10:20 PM
Can't really see any pics. I get a blank page on the first link. But I like to see what I am getting first on stuff like this. Companies can make all kinds of claims on the net

Carves
09-21-2013, 10:33 PM
Can't really see any pics. I get a blank page on the first link. But I like to see what I am getting first on stuff like this. Companies can make all kinds of claims on the net

I used the U.S., Irwin site too .. :confused: ... should be good now tho.

Im the same ... hands on feel before purchase,

.... damn that plastic moulding packaging most stuff is in .. :D

Irwin stuff is getting common down here ... but more so at chain stores than, speciality tool shops ... which is why Im wondering whether the quality is what it used to be .. ;);)

4.3LXJ
09-21-2013, 10:50 PM
What kind of wire are you going to cut with the "dykes"

Carves
09-21-2013, 11:03 PM
Pretty much any wire thats in the XJ .... with a "snip" action ... not a "chew" action .. ;);) .. :D

I do have some knipex stuff ... but some clown borrowed and used the sidecutters to cut horsehoe nails or something .. :rolleyes: .. :mad:

... so after surgery to fix the jaw tips ... the cutting edge is a little shortened .. :D

4.3LXJ
09-21-2013, 11:13 PM
The best wire cutters I have now, are the cheapest. go figure. Just stamped sheet metal. I will take a piccy tomorrow. Raining and muddy in front of the shop now. They are a combination stripper and cutter. Very clean, easy cuts on any copper wire up to 6 gauge. Adjustable strippers too. Easy to loose though, they are not very big. I carry them in my electrical stuff

Dredwolf
09-22-2013, 06:47 PM
The best wire cutters I have now, are the cheapest. go figure. Just stamped sheet metal. I will take a piccy tomorrow. Raining and muddy in front of the shop now. They are a combination stripper and cutter. Very clean, easy cuts on any copper wire up to 6 gauge. Adjustable strippers too. Easy to loose though, they are not very big. I carry them in my electrical stuff

I have a mix too....my best big diagonal cutters are a pair of Crescent's I have had for 20 years, wire strippers are a pair of Snap-on's, and the combo's (stripper, crimper, small bolt cutter) are a set of S-K's.

My cable cutters are genuine Harbor Frieght, and they are holding up well.

I have bought some Irwin channel locks (needed bigger than my "real" Channel-Locks), etc, and been happy with them, not sure if same plant turns out the Vise Grips and the pliers.

4.3LXJ
09-25-2013, 04:45 PM
Finally got around to it. Here they are. Made by Wirepro, cheapest cutters for wire under 6 ga and best wire strippers I have ever had for up to 8 ga. Squeeze, half turn around the wire and off with the plastic.

Carves
09-25-2013, 10:25 PM
Wellll ... after much, tool fondling, in recent days ... :rolleye0012: .. :D

I've scratched the Irwin stuff off the list .... prices are overly inflated down here.
If I'm going to throw money at obviously chinese stuff ... Theres a mob down here, selling Kobalt 10pc kits for 1/3 the Irwin price.

Soooo .... monday will be a purchase of the, oddly, low priced, NWS 3pc kit - whilst Im getting some other stuff, a coupla towns up the road ...

.... and then I'll grab some other NWS, odds and sods, at the normal wallet raping prices, from places down here ... that stock all their products .. :mad:

or ....

Theres some good U.S. prices for NWS from this bloke .... http://www.german-hand-tools.com/ .... but I'll have to consider freight costs .. :rolleyes:

Speaking of Kobalt gear ... Is it OK for the price ... or is it a matter of buying a new kit - everytime you pop the bonnet ... ummm ... raise the hood ... for some maintenance .. ;);) ... like the locally branded, chinese stuff down here.

4.3LXJ
09-25-2013, 10:44 PM
You might get two bonnet lifts out of them :D

Carves
09-25-2013, 10:55 PM
You might get two bonnet lifts out of them :D

Soooooo ... buy 'em and change to a 10yrly servicing program ??

:smiley-laughing021:

4.3LXJ
09-25-2013, 11:27 PM
Might work. But you would loose the tools before then :D

gary63
09-26-2013, 10:25 AM
Will I bot a kobalt and a Irwin visegrips the kobalt work every ruff had to use a grinder and file to get it to clamp and release halfway good. As for the Irwin the only one I found was the one that dos not have the release so it is very hard to clamp but even harder to release without throughing the parts.

Carves
09-30-2013, 07:20 AM
Considering that the NWS stuff worked out nearly $5 cheaper each - than the chinese made Crescents and the Irwin stuff I was looking at ....

... I decided to get 'em ...

The multigrips/channel locks in the kit -are a light duty size IMHO ... so I might get a coupla Irwin ones or something yet - to backstop the old ones I have.

@ gary63 .... Have some Irwin ViseGrips ... seem to be OK.

The NWS certainly look purty ... compared to what was under the workbench .. :D

http://i1143.photobucket.com/albums/n629/carves-oz/Tools%20and%20Test/NWS/NWS01b_zpsaa24a00f.jpg

Little sidecutters passed the "snip" test .. :D

http://i1143.photobucket.com/albums/n629/carves-oz/Tools%20and%20Test/NWS/NWS02b_zps522a41cf.jpg