PDA

View Full Version : Drill Doctor

Dredwolf
09-10-2013, 07:20 PM
Anybody got one of these? Despite losing my job, I decided to go ahead and splurge for one of these, I have a whole box of dull drill bits.

It should be here in few days, I'll write up a review. I used an older model a few times in the evenings at my last job, trying to help the R&D guys with some last minute builds, and it seemed to work well, once you got the hang of it.

gary63
09-10-2013, 08:05 PM
I have one I have had it for many years one of the first ones it dos reg. tip cross and masanary. 118 and 135 reg.high speed and carbolt. It works good for sharping bit fast but I found inbetween sets cool the bit even if it doesn't feel hot it will take the temper out of the tip.and don't push to hard . I have found I will sharpen some of my good bits on a grinder set up for sharping and do the high voluam bit on the Doctor. Ether way the gold color drill bit are not worth anything as soon as the gold plating is gone.

Dredwolf
09-10-2013, 08:54 PM
I have one I have had it for many years one of the first ones it dos reg. tip cross and masanary. 118 and 135 reg.high speed and carbolt. It works good for sharping bit fast but I found inbetween sets cool the bit even if it doesn't feel hot it will take the temper out of the tip.and don't push to hard . I have found I will sharpen some of my good bits on a grinder set up for sharping and do the high voluam bit on the Doctor. Ether way the gold color drill bit are not worth anything as soon as the gold plating is gone.

The ultimate test will be if it can make several HF drill bits sharp enough to drill through mild steel. :D

Minihammermatt
09-10-2013, 09:10 PM
Personally I don't like these at all. I've had to fix bits done by these machines before where I work, but for the average joe they do decent work.

gary63
09-10-2013, 10:20 PM
they do work but best on the med. grade the highend I would sharpen by hand.But if you have alot or in the medle of a drill they do work well.

4.3LXJ
09-11-2013, 10:06 AM
I have always wanted something. The large bits I can sharpen fine. The small ones don't work out on my grinder.

gary63
09-11-2013, 10:16 AM
on small bits you have to watch it very close and on very small ones I use a file.

Dredwolf
09-12-2013, 01:05 AM
It should be here in two more days, I'll do a review....I have heard from a couple of guys I trust....I MUST watch the DVD that comes with it.

kxraptor
09-13-2013, 12:51 PM
I use the Drill Doctor on bits larger than 1/4",,,,others[smaller] I just discard

Dredwolf
09-13-2013, 10:51 PM
It arrived today, I will see if tomorrow cooperates enough for me to unpack it and try it, and maybe get some review pictures....

Dredwolf
09-14-2013, 07:59 PM
Pictures later, observations first.

Other successful users of the Drill Doctor are right, you MUST watch the DVD to get the best results.

I purchased the 750, with the idea of being able to adjust the material take off, and grind 118 and 135, and even custom grinds.

Now I own two 6" grinders, one Northern Tool and one Harbor Freight. The Northern always vibrated too much, so the kid bought me a Harbor Freight one that ran MUCH smoother. I changed the wheels on the Northern with a wire wheel and a new HF 60 grit wheel, and IT ran much better.

Years ago, I could do decent job of sharpening a drill bit on the big, old 8" dad had, but the wheels on the HF grinder are pretty soft, but it seemed I also lost my touch.

I started out with a Ti-coated 1/2" HF bit that was chipped, and a HSS, aircraft length 1/2" Irwin bit that the outer edge of one flute was chipped. I started with the HF bit first, it appeared to be 118 degree.

Setting up the bit in the holding chuck is critical, and this is where the video helps "show" in motion what the picture in the owners manual can't. I know this because I tried to just read the manual, and was not making much progress. I then went and watched the video, saw what i was doing wrong, and watched it again to make sure.

bad luck
09-16-2013, 09:36 AM
Anybody got one of these? Despite losing my job, I decided to go ahead and splurge for one of these, I have a whole box of dull drill bits.

It should be here in few days, I'll write up a review. I used an older model a few times in the evenings at my last job, trying to help the R&D guys with some last minute builds, and it seemed to work well, once you got the hang of it.

I just read this John, I have never used a drill doctor. But that is tough luck to lose your job. I hope something turns up for you soon.

Dredwolf
09-16-2013, 09:46 PM
I just read this John, I have never used a drill doctor. But that is tough luck to lose your job. I hope something turns up for you soon.

Thanks for the support Bob, I'll admit I'm worried. Trying to stay busy, job hunt for a set time, then work on the projects on the XJ and around the house.

It lasted a whole year in '08-09, hope that does not happen again. :pray:

Dredwolf
09-29-2013, 08:59 PM
As promised, some pics...

First picture is a HF 1/2 Ti-coated drill bit that dulled and chipped on its first use, and was my "sacrifice" to the Drill Dr.'s first use. I tried to sharpen it first with the just the directions, had poor results, watched the video, and tried again. Sharpened it, then tested it out drilling (8) holes in my Class III reciever.

118 degree point, AFTER drilling (8) holes in the square steel tube of a Class III receiver. Still working on my "macro" settings on my little camera.

http://i1294.photobucket.com/albums/b605/dredwolf1/Accessories/IMG_3988_zps7bc7c2f8.jpg

Next picture is of an "aircraft" length Irwin 1/2 black oxide split point I bought to install my upper Iron Man Andy control arms, somehow it got dulled when a friend was helping install the arms, and did the first drilling on the passenger side. After success with the HF bit, I tried setting the Drill Dr. to 135 degree, and using its "split-point" feature. Picture is not great, but you get the idea.

http://i1294.photobucket.com/albums/b605/dredwolf1/Accessories/IMG_3990_zpscd03a6d8.jpg

So far, I am happy with it. I have sharpened about 20 1/4" and larger bits with it, mainly the HF stuff I have that seemed to be dull out of the box, and the bits perform much better for me now. I know that if I was worth a cuss, I could sharpen with a bench grinder, but apparently I and my cheap abrasive wheels on my bench grinders are not up to it, and I am not worth a cuss. :D

4.3LXJ
09-29-2013, 09:44 PM
Thanks for the evaluation. Those certainly look nicer than when I sharpen them by hand