PDA

View Full Version : 1997 XJ turn signal issues

Victoryanthems
09-07-2013, 10:17 PM
I know there has been an issue like mine posted before but there was never really any results posted. Started like this, I installed JCR LED tail light housings. Everything worked fine. I put in an EP27 flasher to stop the fast blink. Next day I noticed that when I turn on the left blinker, both rears would blink but the right worked fine. Changed out the turn signal switch thinking that would fix it. Now both rears will flash no matter if left or right and if the lights aren't on, the tail lights flash as well. In the middle of all this I had installed a new stereo but it was pretty cut and dry and I doubt that had anything to do with it. PLEASE HELP!!!!

F1Addict
09-08-2013, 04:09 AM
Sadly, I'm only familiar with the pre-96 multi-switch and indicator wiring. I'm sure someone will come along to help out.

Mudderoy
09-08-2013, 05:23 AM
If you put the original flasher back does it go back to working just fast flash? If it doesn't I suspect you're going to have to go have a look at the stereo wiring you did. Sounds like an unintended circuit was created.

4.3LXJ
09-08-2013, 09:43 AM
It seems to me that some of these kits have some sort of resistor wired in at the tail lights. Do you have one of these?

Victoryanthems
09-08-2013, 10:59 AM
No I don't. I was told by JCR that I could wire it straight up. Sometimes you need to wire in a trailer wiring harness but that is supposedly only if you are going to run a reverse light (which I am not). I swapped out the old flasher relay this morning and the same issue so it isn't the relay. The crazy thing is it seems like I have a new issue every time. Today my side rear running light will come on with the lights but my tail lights will not come on and when I brake my rear turn signals light up instead of my brake lights. WTF? I did find that my #20 fuse was blown which is the "trailer tow connector, trailer tow left/right turn relays" Just looking at the diagram it had a blown 10A and it is supposed to be a 15A.

***UPDATE***
Went out in the middle of typing this, switched the 10A to a 15A. Now, the tail lights come on and work with the brake but the turns are still lighting with the brake and ALL OF THE SUDDEN, it starts but dies immediately unless i keep gas on it. AHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!

nickyg
09-08-2013, 11:52 AM
Problem with the tow harness/ connection?
When I wired up my 96 for trailer lights that connection was right behind the spare tire interior panel near the fuel filler.

4.3LXJ
09-08-2013, 12:05 PM
Crazy stuff like that usually means poor ground. But not sure how to factor the LED in to that

Victoryanthems
09-08-2013, 12:07 PM
Problem with the tow harness/ connection?
When I wired up my 96 for trailer lights that connection was right behind the spare tire interior panel near the fuel filler.

Possibly and thats what its looking like more and more. I had just pulled that panel and when i unplugged the tow lights, the right tail light and brake light seemed to work fine, however, I wasn't getting anything on the left side at all. So trying to see what i need to do about that right now.

On another note, got it to start up and run. One of the fuses that I pulled wasn't properly seated.:banghead:

Victoryanthems
09-08-2013, 02:39 PM
http://i941.photobucket.com/albums/ad255/victoryanthems/350e9a98-4ab0-4713-adf9-debb5a1b9836_zpsf413bd47.jpg (http://s941.photobucket.com/user/victoryanthems/media/350e9a98-4ab0-4713-adf9-debb5a1b9836_zpsf413bd47.jpg.html)

OK here is where i'm at. This picture is of the wiring in the panel right behind the left tail light.

GREEN circle, where I cut the wires running to the trailer lights.

BLUE circle, unplug this and nothing on the left side works but the right side works as it should on all functions.

YELLOW circle, unplug this and nothing on the left side and right still reacts with the same problems.

THOUGHTS?

cpttuna
09-08-2013, 07:50 PM
I would eliminate the trailer lights and start over. Start with good ground and reconnect one thing at a time. Do it the same way when you add the trailer harness. It is time consuming but you eliminate the problem(s) easier this way

Victoryanthems
09-18-2013, 06:31 PM
Thats where it was! I just unplugged the stock trailer harness and ran the plugs together and it worked!