PDA

View Full Version : Cold air intake

cpttuna
08-29-2013, 08:01 PM
The saga of working on the 98 continues. Today she got a cold air intake installed. I had all the parts I needed in the garage. I took the air box off. I had a piece of 3" OD stainless in the scrap pile. I measured off what I needed. after a rough fit, I made a hole in the fenderwell for a spike I welded to the bottom of the SS tube. I also welded a nut on the spike to keep from going too far through the hole. For the breather tube, I found a piece of round stock in the scrap drawer which I welded over a 3/8" hole I drilled in the stainless. I used a K&N RB0910 universal rubber mount air filter. This is the same filter I have used on all the other jeeps. I had had this one in the garage as a spare since 04. when one of the kids came for a visit, I would change their oil and switch filters with them. THis time I decided to use the spare. I bought it for $28.81 in 04. I checked the price and they are $42.00 now.

TheDude
09-01-2013, 09:17 AM
It's funny how easy that is to make considering how expensive they are to buy.. I've been tempted to do this mod for a while now.

cpttuna
09-01-2013, 04:12 PM
that's why I have made 7 of them. I could not believe the prices of the aftermarket ones. If you can get your hands on some 3" pipe, I'm sure you can get your local muffler shop to bend it the way you want. You should get a piece that is slightly longer as the tube bender in the muffler shop will use up some pipe making the bend. As far as the filter ,there are some other brands out there besides K&N.

cpttuna
09-02-2013, 05:47 AM
Just remember that if you have a piece of 3" tubing and are making your own, you need a little extra length in you are going to have it put in a tubing bender to bend it the way you want.

sexjay
09-10-2013, 11:10 AM
I actually did this same thing but I didn't care about the end result of the cold air intake because I did it so I could fit a train horn in the spot of the factory air box!!

Scout272
09-13-2013, 06:23 PM
How about a ram air Cherokee, check it out and let me know what y'all think