PDA

View Full Version : What the ??? PO messed up the wiring...

Infidel Edition
08-28-2013, 09:42 PM
OK. So, my blinkers are crapped out again.
I pulled the flasher and checked the voltage and on the pwr prong, I have the full 14.8v.
But on the other end, I'm getting 0.10v... so something is shorting out is my guess.

While under the dash, I noticed this:
............What is it?
............................Looks like a temp sensor or something.

It has a live wire connected here the white wire to blue splice to red wire and into the fuse box:

Otherwise, they don't appear to be connected into anything.
It may be connected to the fact that the column appears to be from an automatic
/ and mine is a stick.

NW99XJ
08-29-2013, 08:38 AM
Thats not a button is it?
I have never seen anything quiet like that.

msmoorenburg
08-29-2013, 08:48 AM

must have been a James Bond Jeep (passenger ejector button :) )

Infidel Edition
08-29-2013, 09:16 AM

Good Call!:thumbsup:I brushed the end and had to give it some pressure, and it is a button.
No clue what it does... but it is a button.
~ Like a door open/closed. No click.

At any rate, from the steering column to the passenger side, you can see in the pic's that MOST of the wires are connected via splice.
AND next to the fuse box, if you look on the left side of the pic., you can see that MOST of the wires are connected via splice. :bang:

So I'm betting that at least 1/2 of the wires are spliced at least 2 or 3 times each between the fuse box and their component. :bang:
...The 10 gauge brown wire behind the button I found, is splice in that pic... and again 18" further toward the glove box. I believe that's part of the HVAC.:stars:

------------
It's growing obvious that I need to just replace the entire wiring harness. But I don't want to get a generic 'best guess' version.

DOES ANYONE KNOW~
ARE ALL RENIX (for the 4.0) HARNESSES THE SAME?
... OR DID JEEP MIX AND MATCH BY ACCESSORIES? :smiley-gen159:

4.3LXJ
08-29-2013, 09:18 AM
So you wonder why your cruise control doesn't work? The sensor thingy is the vacuum release for when you hit the brake pedal or the clutch pedal and the plug is the electrical part

Infidel Edition
08-29-2013, 09:19 AM
must have been a James Bond Jeep (passenger ejector button :) )

It looks like it's part of the original harness.
...based on how it's wrapped in the stock black felt harness tape

Infidel Edition
08-29-2013, 09:21 AM
So you wonder why your cruise control doesn't work? The sensor thingy is the vacuum release for when you hit the brake pedal or the clutch pedal and the plug is the electrical part

most everything doesn't work.
... so where does it mount?
............. and what does the plug on the other end connect to?

4.3LXJ
08-29-2013, 09:23 AM
It mounts either on the clutch pedal assembly up close to the pivot. Should be a hole for the sensor to shove into and a plug there. Most likely on the clutch pedal

Infidel Edition
08-29-2013, 09:32 AM
It mounts either on the clutch pedal assembly up close to the pivot. Should be a hole for the sensor to shove into and a plug there. Most likely on the clutch pedal

Just ran up to the parking garage (at work) and there is a bracket with a hole about the right size above the break peddle.

......after my trip, I may plug it all together and see if I have cruise control?
...................might be like an early Christmas.
Waiting till after my trip just in case it's actually a self destruct button.
I can see signs of fire damage. So, I'll also have my extinguisher in hand.

4.3LXJ
08-29-2013, 09:48 AM
Fire hose works :D

Infidel Edition
08-29-2013, 10:26 AM
Any idea if the RENIX wiring harnesses are universal?
...ie. if I find an '88 automatic with the harness in good condition ~ will that work on my '89 manual?

Or did Jeep do specific harnesses by accessory?
...meaning I'd need to find a RENIX with ALL the same accessories to get a match?

NW99XJ
08-30-2013, 09:10 AM
It's been my understanding that with MOST auto manufacturers.... the wiring harnesses are pretty much the same, per model per year. So if one were to try and track down a replacement, they'd want to get one from a vehicle as close to the same date of manufacture as the vehicle they've got.
That being said, a base model SHOULD have the same wiring harness as a "limited" or fully loaded model. Not every option will be installed, but the harnesses/plugs/etc... should be there none the less.

nickyg
08-30-2013, 10:10 AM
It's been my understanding that with MOST auto manufacturers.... the wiring harnesses are pretty much the same, per model per year. So if one were to try and track down a replacement, they'd want to get one from a vehicle as close to the same date of manufacture as the vehicle they've got.
That being said, a base model SHOULD have the same wiring harness as a "limited" or fully loaded model. Not every option will be installed, but the harnesses/plugs/etc... should be there none the less.

X2, I have a 96 without many options. I have a bunch of empty plugs in the dash and under the hood. I belive they use 1 harness and just don't install the extra options.

Infidel Edition
08-30-2013, 08:40 PM
Cool
I found an '89 automatic with a blown head gasket...
Otherwise identical
$500

That could be my
-wire harness
-replacement left rear door
- ...$ ??
The turn around and sell off the parts for $500