PDA

View Full Version : 91 XJ Overheating

McChoka
08-18-2013, 07:48 PM
I got the Jeep and test drove it, and it all checked out- drove fine, ran fine, sounded fine. But on the way back (about... 40 minutes down the road) it started to overheat. It has an electric fan along with the stock fan, which I usually have on. The problem resolved itself on the way back. Today was the first time I had driven it more than a few miles and the radiator finally overflowed (I half wanted to see how accurate the gauge was). I recently changed the thermostat, the vehicle is fine on coolant (I keep extra with me) so what could be causing it to overheat?

nickyg
08-18-2013, 07:55 PM
There is a over heating thread that has a bunch of good stuff.
http://www.xjtalk.com/showthread.php?t=544&highlight=overheat+thread

XJ Wheeler
08-18-2013, 10:01 PM
A few more details would really help determine the cause. What temp did it get to? Were you driving (and at what speed) or stopped? Any more specific things you noticed?

Sent via messenger pigeon - i talk, he types.

McChoka
08-18-2013, 10:39 PM
Constantly overheated no matter the speed. Buried the gauge (past red, pointing towards the 0 of 260). Just some big issue

4.3LXJ
08-18-2013, 11:31 PM
Probably got air in it now and needs to be burped to start with. But, in addition, flush it and then go from there

XJ Wheeler
08-18-2013, 11:36 PM
Sounds like it is pretty bad. Like a blockage or lack of flow. Do you know the last time it was flushed? Well, you just purchased it so probably not.

Sent via messenger pigeon - i talk, he types.

McChoka
08-18-2013, 11:45 PM
Yeah when I can, I'm flushing it. I usually do when I get new vehicles. Can't stand people who throw fluid in and think its good forever.

McChoka
08-20-2013, 06:21 PM
Well its all fixed now... I found out from the previous owner that he never flushed it, only added more fluid when it "seemed low". Which isn't awful I guess, but assuming it has 200K+ miles... It needed a flush. That and after my overheating adventure (which I did add back into my radiator) I had about 1/2 gallon of coolant left. And my XJ swallowed 2 full gallons and could still take a bit more.

It you don't wanna read all that- previous owner was... Oblivious. And coolant was ridiculously low.

McChoka
08-20-2013, 06:27 PM
Assuming this is normal?

Carves
08-20-2013, 07:06 PM
Assuming this is normal?

Gauge typically, sits on the 210* mark.

... in a perfect world and if you have all your ducks in a row .. ;) :D

Helps if you use a different gauge type to test/confirm your temps ... so you know you can trust what the dashboard is telling you .. ;);)

... I found out from the previous owner that he never flushed it, only added more fluid when it "seemed low"....

If thats the case ... It might be worthwhile planning on getting the waterpump out for a look ... old eth-gly and a little bit of new - doesnt always bode well - in terms of the included inhibitors, keeping corrosion at bay.

Usually, you can end up with a sludge build up - blocking radiator core, lower tubes ... and, theres plenty of internet photos of water pump vanes, rotted off, from long term, coolant quality neglect.

... and those thoughts probably apply to a grand cherokee as well .. :D