PDA

View Full Version : brake shutter/shimmy

texcuda
09-21-2009, 09:17 PM
so, going down the road at 60+ and I step ont eh brake. The steering wheel immediately goes to shaking like driving over an old country road..BAD!!! I suspect it is hot spots on the rotors but it seems really bad for hot spots. anyone had the same problem? It is definately brake related as it only happens when pressing the brake pedal, in fact I can apply the brakes, get shutter then release and it goes away. Thanks

2000XJ
09-21-2009, 10:37 PM
You have warped rotors. Throw on a new set and a new set of pads and you'll be good to go.

xj4lifetwo
09-22-2009, 03:27 PM
You have warped rotors. Throw on a new set and a new set of pads and you'll be good to go.

Exactly , you could have them turned but rotors are cheap so new is best but if your short cash have'm turned

muddeprived
09-23-2009, 08:41 AM
3rd vote on warped rotors....

texcuda
09-23-2009, 11:21 AM
I was pretty sure it was going to be hot-spotted (warped) rotors but wanted to make sure. Didn;t know if it was related to the death wobble problem Ive seen referenced a few times. Thanks:D

Mudderoy
09-23-2009, 12:19 PM
I was pretty sure it was going to be hot-spotted (warped) rotors but wanted to make sure. Didn;t know if it was related to the death wobble problem Ive seen referenced a few times. Thanks:D

Any idea how you got them hot enough to warp? Had they been turned once, twice before?

muddeprived
09-23-2009, 12:35 PM
Brakes get hot for a number of reasons. Long braking during very hot days or simply long braking does it. Also rear brakes that are not functioning correctly can warp the front rotors since they are now stopping the vehicle alone instead of both front and rear brakes working together. It's wise to adjust your rear brakes at every oil change so they are working. Sticky calipers can also cause rotors to overheat.

A friend of mine had warped rotors every 3-4k miles. We couldn't figure out why until we saw the brake pads had worn in a groove on the brake pad bracket of the knuckle. This made the pad stick in that position and rub on the rotor all the time, heating them up even without braking. I now always grease the brake pad brackets prior to installing new pads and after a mud run. It keeps them sliding on it instead of digging a groove.

texcuda
09-24-2009, 08:04 PM
Any idea how you got them hot enough to warp? Had they been turned once, twice before?

no clue other than I live in C. texas where we just had 70+ days of 100+ degree weather. It's also a daily driver. I just got it about 4 months ago and the guy I got it from put cheap pads on it. It's probably a combination of factors.

Keep on :driving:

2000XJ
09-25-2009, 11:37 AM
It doesn't have to be hot out to warp your rotors. If you sit in traffic alot and they get hot, and can't cool off (no airflow) then they will also warp. Ambient temperature does play a role, but not all the time ;)