PDA

View Full Version : Security Yesterday

Mudderoy
08-15-2013, 09:06 AM
I listen to a podcast by Steve Gibson (with Leo Laporte) called "Security Now".

It's a bit of the cap and propeller, or pointy ear type of stuff but I thought you might be interested in some of what I learn there.

For example, in light of all this NSA invading our private lives information you might want to know of a way that you can have secure online communications.

Of course you can encrypt your e-mail with PGP encryption software, or use a open free version GNUPG, but that requires downloading installing reading, public keys, private keys.....

What you can do that's really simple is create an e-mail account on Google's gmail. Now share that account and password with the person you want to communicate securely with.

When you want to communicate with your friend(s) just compose a new e-mail and save it as a draft.

Your friends will login to gmail (https) which means the data is encrypted, and then read the draft.

The e-mail never leaves Google so it is never sent over the public Internet where it can be captured by our lovely government.

There is no such thing as 100% security, so look as this as a way to slow down our government's ability to figure out what you're thinking.

Personally what the government is doing to ME pisses me off and that's the reason I'm sharing this information. They are going around the 4th amendment, and that ain't right.

ArmyGuy45
08-15-2013, 09:27 AM
I listen to a podcast by Steve Gibson (with Leo Laporte) called "Security Now".

It's a bit of the cap and propeller, or pointy ear type of stuff but I thought you might be interested in some of what I learn there.

For example, in light of all this NSA invading our private lives information you might want to know of a way that you can have secure online communications.

Of course you can encrypt your e-mail with PGP encryption software, or use a open free version GNUPG, but that requires downloading installing reading, public keys, private keys.....

What you can do that's really simple is create an e-mail account on Google's gmail. Now share that account and password with the person you want to communicate securely with.

When you want to communicate with your friend(s) just compose a new e-mail and save it as a draft.

Your friends will login to gmail (https) which means the data is encrypted, and then read the draft.

The e-mail never leaves Google so it is never sent over the public Internet where it can be captured by our lovely government.

There is no such thing as 100% security, so look as this as a way to slow down our government's ability to figure out what you're thinking.

Personally what the government is doing to ME pisses me off and that's the reason I'm sharing this information. They are going around the 4th amendment, and that ain't right.

That draft still has to be saved from your computer to their server. That information is still passed but there is no header to be filtered. I agree its safer but the more secure way to send a message is snail mail in code.

Kinda like what OBL was doing and why it took us so long to catch him.

Mudderoy
08-15-2013, 09:30 AM
That draft still has to be saved from your computer to their server. That information is still passed but there is no header to be filtered. I agree its safer but the more secure way to send a message is snail mail in code.

Kinda like what OBL was doing and why it took us so long to catch him.

I didn't mention it but using the gmail gui the e-mail is never on your computer. The only data flow is between your computer and the gmail servers and that is a https connection.

NW99XJ
08-15-2013, 09:34 AM
I remember hearing something in the news not all that long ago, about this is how Al Qaeda operatives were/had been communicating.....but wasnt discovered until late in a terrorist plan..... I also heard how a state senator or some such government official had an affair with some gal, and this is how they communicated "secretly."
I still think carrier pigeon is the best way to go!

ArmyGuy45
08-15-2013, 09:53 AM
I still think heavily encrypted USB stick from a computer not on the internet that is mailed to another computer not on the internet is the most secure.

Mudderoy
08-15-2013, 09:55 AM
I still think heavily encrypted USB stick from a computer not on the internet that is mailed to another computer not on the internet is the most secure.

If you're a person of interest they could probable install a keylogger program on your system, or just activate it. ;)

ArmyGuy45
08-15-2013, 10:02 AM
If you're a person of interest they could probable install a keylogger program on your system, or just activate it. ;)

Whatever happen to the good ol days of parchment paper and horseback?

Infidel Edition
08-15-2013, 07:40 PM
Just saw on CNN or Fox that Google has stated for the record that users of Gmail should not expect full privacy... and something about how every email is scanned so they can better market to you.
Sort of like Amazon.

So you need to find a pass through service (where the email goes from A to B) but not stored online.

Or what I do is use several email addresses... 1 for online shopping, 1 for primary use, 1 for memberships, and 1 for other things that I don't want associated with anything ~ so if I die there isn't anything my grandma would be offended by

4.3LXJ
08-15-2013, 08:00 PM
I use Apple eMail. Maybe not totally secure, but I don't have to put up with scanning for potential ads in he junk mail

Infidel Edition
08-15-2013, 08:06 PM
Here's what came up on a quick search
http://www.digitalspy.com/tech/news/a506972/google-under-fire-from-rights-group-over-gmail-privacy-policy.html

nickyg
08-15-2013, 08:13 PM
I still think carrier pigeon is the best way to go!

Carrier pigeons are too tasty and easy to catch. The best way to send a secure message is to write in Klingon.

prerunner1982
08-23-2013, 10:32 AM
Saw ad for this on HamNation... if you are interested code HN20 gets you a discount.

http://www.proxpn.com/

matt0106
08-24-2013, 12:36 AM
Carrier pigeons are too tasty and easy to catch. The best way to send a secure message is to write in Klingon.

If your recipient knows how to read Klingon.