PDA

View Full Version : Mustang fuel injectors

jugbutt
09-20-2009, 07:24 PM
Has anyone put 19lb. mustang injectors on there 4.0 and is it worth it!:driving:

BlueXJ
09-21-2009, 12:37 AM
I have them in my MJ. They seem to have smoothed out the idle. Can tell if they helped with power because I never drove it with the old injectors. Got even better with a bottle of Z-Max run through it and a clean throttle body.

muddeprived
09-21-2009, 09:32 AM
Someone explain this mod. What are the benefits? Are they cheaper? Bolt-in? what year mustang and which years of the xj do they work on?

Rickgmi
09-29-2009, 12:32 PM
I have not tried them but there suppose to have 4 squirt hole vs the factory single hole and there suppose to improve mileage 1-2 per gallon

Mudderoy
09-29-2009, 01:29 PM
I've been looking at these for a long time.

:link: (http://www.precisionautoinjectors.com/product.sc?productId=11&categoryId=3)

96xj
09-29-2009, 03:14 PM
:eek::shocker:$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$:shocker::eek:

tbone
10-27-2009, 09:35 PM
The biggest difference is the four holes over the one and they are a better construction as the factory xj injectors are three piece, 2 pieces metal and 1 piece plastic pressed together, which is why they are prone to leak between the plastic and metal. Definatly worth the change to get rid of the fire hazzard. :patriot:

muddeprived
10-27-2009, 10:14 PM
I recently put 4-holed ford injectors in mine. What a difference. Acceleration and power has increased, and my idle has smoothed out, plus the misfire is gone and the morning rough idle is also gone. Best motor mod i've done.

Mudderoy
10-28-2009, 01:05 AM
I recently put 4-holed ford injectors in mine. What a difference. Acceleration and power has increased, and my idle has smoothed out, plus the misfire is gone and the morning rough idle is also gone. Best motor mod i've done.

Need more info. Where did you get the injectors, how much did they cost, how hard to replace?

muddeprived
10-28-2009, 07:01 AM
Need more info. Where did you get the injectors, how much did they cost, how hard to replace?

You may have missed it but i posted the link to ford injectors in that other thread.

http://www.fiveomotorsport.com/Injector_SetsJEEP.asp

I didn't get it from there though. The guy on naxja bought em from there, used em for 200 miles but then upgraded to bigger injectors so he sold them to me for $150. They were like new and didn't even smell like gas.

Installing them was, i would say, a 4 out of 10 difficulty level. Not too tough, but at the same time, a little work here and there. You gotta disconnect the fuel rail and my pressure release valve didn't work so gas went everywhere. Once you get the fuel rail off, you pop off the injectors and pop in the new ones. My injector holes had alot of dirt and crap in them so I spent 30 min cleaning them out with q-tips, being very careful not to let dirt fall in the block. Once the holes are clean, put the injectors in the fuel rail and then press the fuel rail onto the block and bolt it down. It helps to use grease or oil on the injector o-rings to get them in the rail and block. Doing it while they are dry is next to impossible. That's about it. When you are done, you gotta prime the system by turning the key to "on" for a couple seconds and then start it up.

Mudderoy
10-28-2009, 07:10 AM
You may have missed it but i posted the link to ford injectors in that other thread.

http://www.fiveomotorsport.com/Injector_SetsJEEP.asp

I didn't get it from there though. The guy on naxja bought em from there, used em for 200 miles but then upgraded to bigger injectors so he sold them to me for $150. They were like new and didn't even smell like gas.

Installing them was, i would say, a 4 out of 10 difficulty level. Not too tough, but at the same time, a little work here and there. You gotta disconnect the fuel rail and my pressure release valve didn't work so gas went everywhere. Once you get the fuel rail off, you pop off the injectors and pop in the new ones. My injector holes had alot of dirt and crap in them so I spent 30 min cleaning them out with q-tips, being very careful not to let dirt fall in the block. Once the holes are clean, put the injectors in the fuel rail and then press the fuel rail onto the block and bolt it down. It helps to use grease or oil on the injector o-rings to get them in the rail and block. Doing it while they are dry is next to impossible. That's about it. When you are done, you gotta prime the system by turning the key to "on" for a couple seconds and then start it up.

So does everything just press together? I've read some how to's and it seems the only thing that you bolt/un-bolt is the fuel rail to the intake.

Were the "O" rings new or did you just use the one's that were on the injectors? I read that replacing the "O" rings is important.

muddeprived
10-28-2009, 07:24 AM
So does everything just press together? I've read some how to's and it seems the only thing that you bolt/un-bolt is the fuel rail to the intake.

Were the "O" rings new or did you just use the one's that were on the injectors? I read that replacing the "O" rings is important.

Yeah it's basically just unbolting the fuel rail but there are a couple things you gotta move out of the way, like hoses, kickdown cable, etc. Nothing major though.

My injectors already had new o-rings on them so I don't know if they include them or not. My old 92k injector o-rings were in pretty good shape that i would have re-used them.

Ruinator
03-16-2010, 10:59 PM
Bump

I did this upgrade. Got the injectors at the U-pull (yes I went that way!) Cleaned them inside and out. (Used a 9 volt battery to open them). Upgrade them a couple days prior to going to a 60mm TB. These upgrades made it a whole different drive. They complement each other. Easily done highly rated

4.3LXJ
03-16-2010, 11:42 PM
Someone explain this mod. What are the benefits? Are they cheaper? Bolt-in? what year mustang and which years of the xj do they work on?

It is the same thing you did Mud, just with wrecking yard parts. Neon injectors work too.

Jesse-James
03-16-2010, 11:51 PM
Did wonders for the 4 banger in my YJ. I'm running design II's.

http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i33/jlafaive/DSC04057.jpg

Here is a chart that shows the ford injectors, either of the #19 will work but the design III (Eploder v8) is supposed to be slightly better.

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y118/yokomura/4BangerJP/fuel_injector/Ford_Injector_Guide.jpg

Comparison to stock.

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y118/yokomura/4BangerJP/fuel_injector/FordInjectors010.jpg

W.O.R.P.Offroad
03-26-2010, 10:57 PM
im goin to post alot of info here has the same pic that was posted above but has a lot of helpful info. this might want to get sticky-ed.

here is the chart i was lookin for on the jeep ones known to be true on cherokee 4.0 but im sure others like the tj wouldnt vary

Model Year, ...Part #, ......Colour, .....Fuel Pressure, ...Static Flow,
'87-'90, ........53003956, ...Black, ........39psi, .................18.6lb/hr
'91-'93, ........33007127, ...Brown, .......39psi, .................21.0lb/hr
'94-'95, ........53030343, ...Tan, ...........39psi, .................21.0lb/hr
'96-'99, ........53030778, ...Grey, .........49psi, .................23.2lb/hr
'00-'01, ........04854181, ...Blue tip, .....49psi, .................22.5lb/hr

here is another chart the list the ford chevy and some after market ones.

The injector flow rate varies as the square root of the pressure drop across the injector. The stock '91-'95 4.0 injectors are rated at 22lb/hr @ 43psi fuel pressure, so at 39psi they flow ( sq. rt.(39/43) x 22.0 = 21.0 ).
For stock/modified 4.0 engines or stroker build-ups the following injectors can be installed. The flow rates are:

Ford Motorsport 19.0lb/hr @ 39psi (Part no. FMS-M9593-C302)
Ford Motorsport 24.0lb/hr @ 39psi (Part no. FMS-M9593-A302)
Ford Motorsport 30.0lb/hr @ 39psi (Part no. FMS-M9593-B302)
Chevy LT1 24.0lb/hr @ 43.5psi (Part no. 17124248)
Chevy LT4 28.0lb/hr @ 43.5psi (Part no. 17124251)
'98 Chevy LS1 25.2lb/hr @ 58.0psi (Part no. 12533952)
'99-'00 Chevy LS1 26.2lb/hr @ 58.0psi (Part no. 12456154)
'01-'02 Chevy LS1/LS6 28.6lb/hr @ 58.0psi (Part no. 12482704)
Accel 19.2lb/hr @ 44.1psi (ACC-150119)
Accel 21.1lb/hr @ 44.1psi (ACC-150121)
Accel 24.4lb/hr @ 44.1psi (ACC-150124)
Accel 25.6lb/hr @ 44.1psi (ACC-150126)
Accel 29.4lb/hr @ 44.1psi (ACC-150130)

The '95 Jeep 5.2 ZJ/Dodge 5.9 injectors (Part no. 53030262) are rated to flow 24.6lb/hr at 39psi.

The selection of injector size will depend on the estimated horsepower output, brake specific fuel consumption BSFC (assume 0.5), no. of cylinders, and the injector duty cycle (assume 80% or 0.8). The formula is:

Injector size (lb/hr) = (horsepower x 0.5)/(no.of cylinders x 0.8)

and a picture chart for the ford ones.

http://i596.photobucket.com/albums/tt41/orygunordnance/XJinjectorpictures.jpg

i know not all this info covers just the jeep ones but thought it would be nice to givemore info on anyone lookin to swap to a diff injector a needs some help figuring out which one or what size to get.

here is the link i copied some of the info from:

http://www.jeep4.0performance.4mg.com/tech_specs.html

W.O.R.P.Offroad
03-26-2010, 10:59 PM
the 2 that say not interchangeable due to connector are the ones that will plug into the 00-01 models with the EV6 plugs.

also a side note his zoom is a lil diff from injector to injector they are all roughly the same length.

W.O.R.P.Offroad
03-26-2010, 11:03 PM
i am runnin the explorer v8 orange ones. i have noticed a big diff in mpg, idle, performance, and throttle response. next on my list os a stroker and a bored mustang tb. so mine will be up for grabs and i will be lookin for some navigator one.

Mudderoy
03-27-2010, 01:05 AM
i am runnin the explorer v8 orange ones. i have noticed a big diff in mpg, idle, performance, and throttle response. next on my list os a stroker and a bored mustang tb. so mine will be up for grabs and i will be lookin for some navigator one.

What was the difference on MPG? I've been wanting to replace mine, but I need a better justification that I just want to try it. :rolleyes:

W.O.R.P.Offroad
03-27-2010, 10:15 AM
i dont have the exact amount but its a noticeable diff on a tank of gas. i can drive more or wheel long on a single tank.

Mudderoy
03-27-2010, 10:17 AM
i dont have the exact amount but its a noticeable diff on a tank of gas. i can drive more or wheel long on a single tank.

Do you know how many miles you get from a tank? Where did you get the injectors, and "O" rings?

W.O.R.P.Offroad
04-04-2010, 10:57 PM
sorry didnt read this til now. no im not sure and it wouldnt be accurate anyways. i have 36" tsl bias and 4.10. i will be sellin mine for $100 obo plus shippin. i have to go upto 24lb ones with the stroker. mine are the 19lb explorer v8 ones like the ones in the chart on a earlier page. i have had mine less than 2 months and under 100 miles on them. they work great and dont leak comes with new o-rings on them.

Mudderoy
04-04-2010, 11:10 PM
sorry didnt read this til now. no im not sure and it wouldnt be accurate anyways. i have 36" tsl bias and 4.10. i will be sellin mine for $100 obo plus shippin. i have to go upto 24lb ones with the stroker. mine are the 19lb explorer v8 ones like the ones in the chart on a earlier page. i have had mine less than 2 months and under 100 miles on them. they work great and dont leak comes with new o-rings on them.

I guess I don't understand why your MPG wouldn't be accurate. You haven't replaced the speedo gear so your speedometer and odometer are wrong? Or you just expect the gas mileage to suck because of the 36" tires?

My plans include going to 35" tires, so I'd like to know what kind of mileage hit (if any) I would get from going from 32 to 35.

W.O.R.P.Offroad
04-04-2010, 11:32 PM
havent replaced the speedo gear and i cant get over 45 can get rid of dw. and my speedo cable broke so speedo dont work and it dont get drove on the road enough to fig mileage. just to and from superlift witch is just down the road

Mudderoy
04-04-2010, 11:41 PM
havent replaced the speedo gear and i cant get over 45 can get rid of dw. and my speedo cable broke so speedo dont work and it dont get drove on the road enough to fig mileage. just to and from superlift witch is just down the road

Wow! Now I'm sorry I asked. :smiley-laughing021: So with the Stroker you'll be able to get to 45 mph really fast!

W.O.R.P.Offroad
04-04-2010, 11:45 PM
lol yup but it prob wont ever see that speed again its bout time to be trailer-ed only

Mudderoy
04-04-2010, 11:47 PM
lol yup but it prob wont ever see that speed again its bout time to be trailer-ed only

Fancy! So I guess 4.88's are in the plans?

W.O.R.P.Offroad
04-05-2010, 12:36 AM
im thinkin more along the line of 5.13 or somethin

4.3LXJ
04-05-2010, 10:52 AM
What's up with the death wobble?

W.O.R.P.Offroad
04-05-2010, 05:02 PM
im not 100% sure yet. i havent tore everything apart to find out. im goin to start byu puttin new upper control arms on it first. i think it could be my castor is off from 6" lift and stock uca and after market lca

the injectors i had are sold. mudd bought them

4.3LXJ
04-06-2010, 12:38 AM
im not 100% sure yet. i havent tore everything apart to find out. im goin to start byu puttin new upper control arms on it first. i think it could be my castor is off from 6" lift and stock uca and after market lca

Sounds like a good place to start. 6" is too much for stock arms. Is your lift including a coil spacer?

W.O.R.P.Offroad
04-06-2010, 12:53 AM
yeah it is for now. after this weekend i should be pickin up a set of 6" front springs for it and takein my lift springs off and puttin them on the wifes xj with the control arms. then cant decide if im goin to build a set of new short arms or go ahead and build my long arms. i will be buildin her upper short arms.

rguignard
04-06-2010, 08:49 AM
justin build some long arms :thumbsup:

W.O.R.P.Offroad
04-06-2010, 10:40 AM
with buyin her xj payin some stuff off. buildin the stroker. i dont know if ill have the money to build the long arms. it will cost me atleast 400 if not more just for materials

xjblue01
04-11-2010, 01:41 PM
does any one know if they work on 01 cherokees ??

W.O.R.P.Offroad
04-11-2010, 02:06 PM
do you have these injectors?

link (http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=939030)

da9r00d
04-13-2010, 11:14 AM
i have an 88 Renix Jeep, im looking for #19 injectors, but what vehicles carry them, im gonna be hitting up the junk yard 2morrow to look around, what year/trim Mustangs (4.6L/5.0L) and Explore V8 what years?

W.O.R.P.Offroad
04-13-2010, 11:49 AM
i have an 88 Renix Jeep, im looking for #19 injectors, but what vehicles carry them, im gonna be hitting up the junk yard 2morrow to look around, what year/trim Mustangs (4.6L/5.0L) and Explore V8 what years?

im not sure of the years but if you look at that pick i posted in that link it shows pics of the ones you can use.

19 lb/hr, FOTE-D1A, Yellow/Orange, 4.6L SOHC
19 lb/hr, FOTE-D5B, Yellow/Black, 5.0L, 4.6L SOHC
dont have a year range do have that much info.

http://i596.photobucket.com/albums/tt41/orygunordnance/XJinjectorpictures.jpg

i know they look differant size on that chart but they are all the same size.

da9r00d
04-16-2010, 05:21 PM
so i changed to Explorer V8 injectors, Xj runs better and smoother. but i had a question about the fitment, everything bolts up and the car runs fine but there is some play on the injectors, do i need to modify the rail or run different o-rings, or spacers?

W.O.R.P.Offroad
04-16-2010, 08:59 PM
did you put in new o-rings? are there any leaks? i have the explorer v8 ones in mine and i dont have any play. i used the new ones from the help isle at autozone.

Ruinator
04-18-2010, 12:14 PM
so i changed to Explorer V8 injectors, Xj runs better and smoother. but i had a question about the fitment, everything bolts up and the car runs fine but there is some play on the injectors, do i need to modify the rail or run different o-rings, or spacers?

IMHO it depends what "play" is. If you mean rotation, my stock injectors rotated, as do my 19 # do now. Any other play/movement I would be concerned about a fire hazard.

:popcorn:

W.O.R.P.Offroad
04-19-2010, 07:38 PM
IMHO it depends what "play" is. If you mean rotation, my stock injectors rotated, as do my 19 # do now. Any other play/movement I would be concerned about a fire hazard.

:popcorn:

i have seen some move up and down. as long as they dont move to much should be ok. and as long as they dont leak. might want to watch them over time mack sure nothin comes up.

rockcrusher
04-20-2010, 01:03 PM
I put them in my xj I got them out of a crown vic. had to mod the wires on the end and use zip ties to make a harness Love them

Ben824
12-11-2011, 05:31 PM
Hey guys first post here on Xjtalk I normally have always used NAXJA but found this not long ago and I like what I have seen.

Anyways I have a 97 that I did the injector upgrade on and I have had very poor results since upgrading. I used junkyard V8 explorer injectors and now I have a very rough idle and very poor throttle response. I reset the ECM and zeroed out the adaptable memory so that it would start fresh and learn the new injectors. I had a member on NAXJA tell me about doing that to help the ECM learn the new injectors and say that the CEL may come on and the idle may be rough during the first 50 key cycles while it is learning the new injectors. I am willing to wait this out if this is normal but like I said it is very rough and the throttle response is pitiful and much worse than before with the stock injectors. I put the injectors in and forgot to reset the memory and was getting codes back for open injector circuits for 1, 2, and 3 cylinders. After reset I am now getting the same code but for only cylinder 2.

Basically I am trying to get a confirmation on whether this is normal or not? I picked up 13 of these junkyard injectors incase one or more were bad so I can change them out for another one but I just need to know if any of these sound like they might be bad. If is seems like maybe #2 is bad is there a way I can use a volt meter to check it?

Mudderoy
12-12-2011, 04:29 PM
Hey guys first post here on Xjtalk I normally have always used NAXJA but found this not long ago and I like what I have seen.

Anyways I have a 97 that I did the injector upgrade on and I have had very poor results since upgrading. I used junkyard V8 explorer injectors and now I have a very rough idle and very poor throttle response. I reset the ECM and zeroed out the adaptable memory so that it would start fresh and learn the new injectors. I had a member on NAXJA tell me about doing that to help the ECM learn the new injectors and say that the CEL may come on and the idle may be rough during the first 50 key cycles while it is learning the new injectors. I am willing to wait this out if this is normal but like I said it is very rough and the throttle response is pitiful and much worse than before with the stock injectors. I put the injectors in and forgot to reset the memory and was getting codes back for open injector circuits for 1, 2, and 3 cylinders. After reset I am now getting the same code but for only cylinder 2.

Basically I am trying to get a confirmation on whether this is normal or not? I picked up 13 of these junkyard injectors incase one or more were bad so I can change them out for another one but I just need to know if any of these sound like they might be bad. If is seems like maybe #2 is bad is there a way I can use a volt meter to check it?

Wow when I did my Mustang injectors I had zero issues. Ran fine before and after the swap. In fact I was a little disappointed because there wasn't any improvement in anything including MPG. I went from a single spray hole to something like seven.

I wonder if these are a higher PSI.

Check out this article, if you haven't already... :link: (http://www.xjtalk.com/showthread.php?t=3428)

Joliet Johnny
12-14-2011, 07:29 AM
so a 99 uses #24 correct? Im going to the pick a part today, the Ford section there is huge so I should find something. If Im wrong you will see some injectors posted in the for sale part of this site.

Mudderoy
12-14-2011, 08:43 AM
so a 99 uses #24 correct? Im going to the pick a part today, the Ford section there is huge so I should find something. If Im wrong you will see some injectors posted in the for sale part of this site.

That's what I put in mine. This is from my article posted on this site...

I found some Ford 9L3E-E7A 24lb Injectors for 69.50 on eBay.

Cherokee85
03-09-2013, 01:44 PM
can someone tell me if there will be good for my 98XJ?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FORD-MUSTANG-CHEVROLET-CAMARO-5-0-V8-BMW-M42-UPGRADE-INJECTOR-0280150943-/181080011378?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item2a2935b272

Ben824
03-10-2013, 08:52 AM
can someone tell me if there will be good for my 98XJ?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FORD-MUSTANG-CHEVROLET-CAMARO-5-0-V8-BMW-M42-UPGRADE-INJECTOR-0280150943-/181080011378?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item2a2935b272

Mustang injectors are good for either older XJs with 39 psi fuel systems or if the mustang injectors are the #24 kind then those are for stroker motors. The best choice for your Jeep are the dodge Neon injectors Part #0280155703

Cherokee85
03-10-2013, 02:51 PM
thank you :) mine is the 2.5L

Infidel Edition
03-13-2013, 10:24 PM
I just ordered a set of the Bosch III EV6 online for $60 ~ nut haven't been delivered yet.
A mechanic friend said the single hole injectors are better since the clog less. Said Porsche and others use the single hole as they're "more reliable"
I'm still gonna swap though