PDA

View Full Version : More HAM ballon fun!

Mudderoy
08-10-2013, 12:57 PM
Sent: Saturday, August 10, 2013 7:17 AM
To: 'Marty Fitzgerald'
Subject: W5ACM-9 is the Balloon we're launching this morning

To ALL Ham Radio Balloon enthusiasts.

Launching this morning from the Wharton Intergalactic Spaceport.

W5ACM-9 is the Primary package, but there will be a secondary payload on the same frequency is Thomas' PecanPico4 package. KT4TK-4

They will BOTH be on 144.39, so you will be able to see them directly on the normal APRS frequency once they get a little altitude..

Or on the Internet as always too.. http://aprs.fi/#!mt=roadmap <http://aprs.fi/#!mt=roadmap&z=11&call=a%2FW5ACM-9&timerange=3600&tail=3600>
&z=11&call=a%2FW5ACM-9&timerange=3600&tail=3600 or search APRS.fi for
KT4TK-4 as well.

There is last year's information on the site right now, but that will be replaced at the first NEW update..

Also, please give the cross band VOICE repeater a try.. Your HT will work
perfectly fine.. 446.00 simplex UP, and receive on 147.435 simplex DOWN.

Be sure to set your HT to mute the receiver when transmitting, or turn the volume down, or you will get feedback.

That's a 1 watt transmitter, so getting into Louisiana and Arkansas should be simple..

Launch time is typically about 10:00am or so, and within 10 minutes, it's covering the state for about an hour at least..

Talk to you soon !!

As always, feel free to call me for any real time updates..

Walter/K5WH

Mudderoy
08-10-2013, 12:59 PM
After reading this e-mail, just now, I quickly set up the A/B VFO split to the two frequencies listed. I heard a little something on my ICOM 706 MkII G. I tried making a call, and someone responded right away.

I have an external vertical antenna and I have 50 watt output on 70cm. Apparently I was getting into the "balloon" pretty well but I was having a hard time hearing people through it.

Still a contact is a contact!

If you have no clue what I'm talking about, and care, feel free to ask questions.

Mudderoy
08-10-2013, 02:04 PM

bluedragon436
08-12-2013, 01:07 AM
I think that is a pretty cool deal... I have always liked seeing the people that send up camera's using these types of balloons just to see some of the spectacular pictures that come from them... so can only imagine the kind of contacts that could be made doing something like this... man I really need to get on that HAM lisc. process, and find myself a decent deal on a radio!!