PDA

View Full Version : '01 XJ Limited - Heated Seats Problem

2000XJ
09-18-2009, 10:54 PM
I'm not an electrical guru by any stretch of the imagination.... so me trying to figure out where to start with this is like telling an eskimo to go find sand.

My '01 XJ has factory power heated seats. The power functions work flawlessly, and the passenger seat heated function works flawlessly as well. For some reason, though, the driver seat heat function doesn't work - when I push the button to warm my *** up the light on the button blinks and no warmth comes into my body.

My FSM has NOTHING on the factory heated seats option. Yes, '97+ XJ Limiteds did come from the factory with factory installed power heated seats if you ordered it like that - so this isn't an aftermarket setup.

Where would you all start? I know that there is power going to the heated function, but why isn't it warming up? Do the heat pads or whatever is used go bad after a while?

Any advice is welcomed :smiley-scared002:

Mudderoy
09-18-2009, 10:57 PM
I'm not an electrical guru by any stretch of the imagination.... so me trying to figure out where to start with this is like telling an eskimo to go find sand.

My '01 XJ has factory power heated seats. The power functions work flawlessly, and the passenger seat heated function works flawlessly as well. For some reason, though, the driver seat heat function doesn't work - when I push the button to warm my *** up the light on the button blinks and no warmth comes into my body.

My FSM has NOTHING on the factory heated seats option. Yes, '97+ XJ Limiteds did come from the factory with factory installed power heated seats if you ordered it like that - so this isn't an aftermarket setup.

Where would you all start? I know that there is power going to the heated function, but why isn't it warming up? Do the heat pads or whatever is used go bad after a while?

Any advice is welcomed :smiley-scared002:

Shot in the dark. Measure the resistance on the passenger seat (power disconnected) and compare it to the driver's. I suspect that it just a good old fashion heater coil of wire, and the driver's seat is open.

2000XJ
09-18-2009, 11:18 PM
So basically I'd be measuring to see how much power the driver seat is getting versus the passenger seat? Would I be measuring for amps or volts?

I'm sorry for the stupid questions, but I'm severly electrically challenged.

Mudderoy
09-18-2009, 11:23 PM
So basically I'd be measuring to see how much power the driver seat is getting versus the passenger seat? Would I be measuring for amps or volts?

I'm sorry for the stupid questions, but I'm severly electrically challenged.

Heating elements are usually big resistors. They make the electrons flow slower causing friction and heat. If you look in a toaster you see coils of wire that glow red when electricity is run thru them. I'm "GUESSING" that your heated seats are the same type of technology.

If you disconnect the power going to the thing in the seat you should be able to measure the resistance. I'm thinking that if you measure a working one and then compare it to the other non-working one you'll see that the driver's side has a much lower, or show a completely open circuit.

So you would be measuring OHMS not volts or amps. This would be on a non-powered circuit.

2000XJ
09-20-2009, 04:07 PM
Ok cool, I'm going to start looking into this issue this week. I'd like to have it fixed soon because leather in cold weather sucks.

dagod16
08-08-2012, 03:54 AM
Mine does the same exact thing.

I am under the impression that the wires that run under the seat cushion just need to be replaced. The wire is broken at a spot or two, getting in and out for ten years does that. My 10 year old son reminds me how warm his rear end is and mine is not during the winter each and every time we get in the jeep. I need to get mine fixed as well but it's not a priority, kinda makes me mad that the driver side is out not the passenger.

LizardRunner
08-09-2012, 02:18 PM
http://www.wjjeeps.com/seats/seats.htm check this write up out, it will help you along the fix it trail. And here is another good write up on heated seat repairs and diagnosis. http://en.allexperts.com/q/Jeep-Repair-817/2008/9/heated-seats.htm