PDA

View Full Version : Pin bar eliminators

firehawk
09-16-2009, 08:11 PM
Anyone here running PBE on the front of their XJ? If so, do you know the diameter of the pin? I'm SICK of the thumping/rattle coming from my front shocks, and since I have access to material at work I've decided to make a set.

I guess any dimensions from all the parts would be good too!

Thanks!

4.3LXJ
09-16-2009, 10:16 PM
Most of them are 5/8" which corresponds to a popular shock mount which has been used on Jeeps since 1941

muddeprived
09-17-2009, 12:17 AM
Most of them are 5/8" which corresponds to a popular shock mount which has been used on Jeeps since 1941

That's the size I used on my full traction bpe's in the rear. Should be the same up front. The only difference front and rear is the width between the bolts. I think one's wider.

What kind are you gonna make? I've seen a couple different styles.

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e73/muddeprived/Teraflex_Shock_Bar_Pin_Eliminator.jpg

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e73/muddeprived/j5022.jpg

Sorry, no dimensions to share. Easy to make though. Just have your shock with ya for easy measurements and tight fit.

4.3LXJ
09-17-2009, 10:15 AM
I would like to make an alternate suggestion. Use an 1 15/16 width. This is the width of many aftermarket off road mounts and the most popular width for the 5/8" pin. That way if you want to upgrade, go for more lift or get ProComp shocks for instance, you can upgrade very easily.

firehawk
09-20-2009, 06:44 PM
Well....I had the bar stock, and the square stock cut to make a set of PBE's and decided to just get a set from JKS.

The machinest that runs the Bridgeport at work that will make parts for me had a small stroke last December. He had to go into the hospital last Thursday to have an artery replaced in his neck. He will be gone until sometime in LATE October. So not wanting to wait that long to get rid of the rattles up front I just bought a set.:rolleyes:

BTW, the machinest, Chuck... came thru the operation ok, and is doing fine. Thank God, he's one hell of a machinest, and a good friend.

muddeprived
09-20-2009, 08:36 PM
Well....I had the bar stock, and the square stock cut to make a set of PBE's and decided to just get a set from JKS.

The machinest that runs the Bridgeport at work that will make parts for me had a small stroke last December. He had to go into the hospital last Thursday to have an artery replaced in his neck. He will be gone until sometime in LATE October. So not wanting to wait that long to get rid of the rattles up front I just bought a set.:rolleyes:

BTW, the machinest, Chuck... came thru the operation ok, and is doing fine. Thank God, he's one hell of a machinest, and a good friend.

That's good that he's alright. How do you replace an artery? Do they have aftermarket arteries or something?

JKS makes good ones so you are gettin your money's worth. :)

firehawk
09-20-2009, 09:35 PM
That's good that he's alright. How do you replace an artery? Do they have aftermarket arteries or something?

JKS makes good ones so you are gettin your money's worth. :)

He went in and they opened his neck up and cut the partially blocked area out. Crazy thing is they replaced the section with a COW blood vessel:shocker:. I heard about them using pig parts since pig DNA and human DNA is close. I know they use pig skin as grafts on burn patients, but never knew they were using cow parts.:confused:

Here's a picture of Chuckie...as we call him. Sometimes we call him Ucky. You think Spanky is sick:D, Chuckie is one twisted man. You couldn't ask for a more fun guy to work with though!
http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a155/kbharbison/deercamera001.jpg

He loves his cars!!! He has SWEET '67 Fairlane all tubbed out he used to drag race. He also has a cherry '65 GTO. This spring he decided to buy a Corvette since he's always wanted one. So he bought a nice red '07 Corvette.

Again, thank God he's doing alright!:thumbsup:

Primo
09-21-2009, 10:41 PM
Im not even sure what pin bar eliminators do or anything, Care to explain it to me?

muddeprived
09-21-2009, 10:49 PM
Im not even sure what pin bar eliminators do or anything, Care to explain it to me?

The factory uses bar pins. It's a pin that goes through the bushing with "forks" or slots at each end for bolts. The problem with these is that the bushing can slide across the bar pin and bang against the surrounding metal. Bar pin eliminators pre-loads the bushing and prevents it from sliding around.

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e73/muddeprived/cherokee/OME/DSCF5141.jpg

it also makes changing shocks so much easier. No more risky broken upper bolts. Just one big one and off comes the shock.

Primo
09-22-2009, 09:18 AM
O ok I was looking at the ones rusty makes but he called them somthing else,
Cool

muddeprived
09-22-2009, 10:48 AM
O ok I was looking at the ones rusty makes but he called them somthing else,
Cool

He calls them bar pin eliminator's too. He also has another product called Shock conversion bracket or something.

http://rustysoffroad.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=RX-BPE1-UV&Category_Code=SHOCKS

Mudderoy
09-22-2009, 11:49 AM
So it was actually cool enough the other day for me to drive with the windows down, and I heard a rattling noise coming from front driver's side (I think) that would go away when I hit the brakes. I assumed it was a pad or maybe even the caliper loose, could this be the shock?

muddeprived
09-22-2009, 12:03 PM
So it was actually cool enough the other day for me to drive with the windows down, and I heard a rattling noise coming from front driver's side (I think) that would go away when I hit the brakes. I assumed it was a pad or maybe even the caliper loose, could this be the shock?

Jump up and down on that awesome bumper and listen for it. If you can hear it clunk or rattle then it's the shocks. You can also visibly see the shock hoop touch the surrounding metal if it is....

Primo
09-22-2009, 04:01 PM
He calls them bar pin eliminator's too. He also has another product called Shock conversion bracket or something.

http://rustysoffroad.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=RX-BPE1-UV&Category_Code=SHOCKS

Yeah thats what I was looking at .

RTPG
09-23-2009, 12:54 AM
FWIW: We stock both the Rough Country and JKS BPE's PLUS we offer a xjTalk.com discount. :D :thumbsup:

muddeprived
09-23-2009, 08:04 AM
FWIW: We stock both the Rough Country and JKS BPE's PLUS we offer a xjTalk.com discount. :D :thumbsup:

I couldn't find them on your website? Am i looking in the wrong place?

Primo
09-23-2009, 09:19 AM
I couldn't find them either ???

Mudderoy
09-23-2009, 12:29 PM

Cool! I didn't know, well hell I didn't know what they were until I read this post. :smiley-laughing021:

firehawk
09-23-2009, 05:20 PM
WEll the BPE's are installed.:smiley-gen165: MAN is is sticky here! I sweated my a$$ off.

Anyway, it took a little less than an hour to mount them up. Even using the crappy hacksaw I have to cut the pin bars off so I could slide them out without tearing the bushings up. Other than that it was easy to install them. I was able to compress the bushings with the jaws on my Workmate. I slathered the pins with anti-seeze, and they slid in with no problems.

It has taken care of about 99% of the noise I was hearing, the rest is coming from the $#*&^%* TeraFlex disco's I have.:mad0090: So in the end IMO, it was money well spent.:thumbsup:

RTPG
09-25-2009, 01:50 AM
I couldn't find them on your website? Am i looking in the wrong place?
Probably not... I bet I forgot to put them on my site. :shocker:

I'll add them and post the link ASAP. :headshake:

RTPG
09-25-2009, 01:53 AM
Cool! I didn't know, well hell I didn't know what they were until I read this post. :smiley-laughing021:
This is one of those things that you usually only "learn" about if/when you have an issue with it OR someone has convinced you that you can't live without it. :rotfl2:

We don't sell many of these but if you need them, they are nice to have.

They serve a purpose but not everyone needs them.

muddeprived
09-25-2009, 07:32 AM
This is one of those things that you usually only "learn" about if/when you have an issue with it OR someone has convinced you that you can't live without it. :rotfl2:

We don't sell many of these but if you need them, they are nice to have.

They serve a purpose but not everyone needs them.

They are nice to have, especially in the rear, where you risk snapping the upper bolts everytime you mess with em.

4.3LXJ
09-25-2009, 10:18 AM
They are nice to have, especially in the rear, where you risk snapping the upper bolts everytime you mess with em.

Makes me glad to live in the land of no salt. They used to use it, but got environmental and went to volcanic pumice instead.:driving:

RTPG
09-26-2009, 02:18 PM

Agreed! Especially if you are like me and you can't leave "good enough" alone and you end up changing everything over and over again until the metal finally fatigues to the point of snapping. :eek::mad: