PDA

View Full Version : HF Locking Oil Filter Wrench

Dredwolf
07-09-2013, 09:35 PM
I have a rather large collection of tools for a DIY, some are Snap-On and MAC, while others are Gearwrench, Husky, Craftsman or even Pittsburg.

I have favorites...my #3 Phillips is a MAC that I have had for over 20 years now, while my 5/16 slotted and #2 Phillips are Snap-on's, etc.

Every now and then, I stumble across something dang useful, and a good bargain.

I did a body lift on my wife's 2003 Explorer, and the body bolts thread into large threaded washers. I was not lucky enough (of course) for them to break free easily, and I needed a solution. The Explorer forum suggested a vise-grip style oil filter wrench from Harbor Freight, and I checked on-line, it was less than $10.

What the heck, I'll try it. Four days and ten body mounts later, I could not have completed the job with out it.

For a sub-$10 tool, it held up to some serious work with a 24' breaker bar freeing frozen body mount bolts, even holding against my 6'5", 250lb son throwing his might against the 3 bolts that would not budge. On one occasion, my son and his 6'3" friend were braced against the tool with a 2x4 while I put a cheater pipe on the 24" breaker bar.

For the price, this is a great tool. After all the abuse, the teeth only show a little wear, and I am sure it will be handy for other things where a pipe wrench simply won't fit.

http://www.harborfreight.com/locking-oil-filter-wrench-66568.html

BlueXJ
07-16-2013, 12:37 PM
I had one of those and gave it away. It tended to crush the filter and make it hard to spin off. I went with a strap wrench instead.

bulrid8
07-16-2013, 03:26 PM
Strap wrench all the way. No filter it can't get off and works great on holding pulleys too!

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

Dredwolf
07-20-2013, 11:12 PM
Hmmm, never tried to use it on oil filters yet, but a chain wrench and strap wrench would not hold those body washers