PDA

View Full Version : Barranca del Cobre

bad luck
07-09-2013, 08:08 AM
Here are some photos of our trip down to Copper Canyon, or as the Mexicans call it Barranca del Cobre. We went at Christmas a few years ago. My son rode with us, I sure wish we would have had the jeep. The town is Urique, down in the bottom of Copper Canyon. We had gone to Batopilas, on the other side of one of the canyons, a couple of years before. There are actually a bunch of canyons that make up this complex. And they are bigger and deeper than our Grand Canyon. I don't know what the tree is with the fluff balls. And of course trying to cross the creek, we got stuck, but just after my son took off on his bike back to Urique to get help, these friendly locals came by and towed us out. It's a good thing we brought the tow strap. I don't think a 2 wheel drive van is the best vehicle for overland expeditions. We do plan on going back it is great down there. Oh yeah, if you look close at the picture in town, you will notice the shredded wind sock. Someone told us that, that street is also the local airport, pretty cool huh!

Mudderoy
07-14-2013, 09:40 AM
Those are some pretty shots. I bet some of those trails you were on with your bike with both breath taking and a little scary!

bad luck
07-14-2013, 11:28 AM
No Tony, that's not me riding the bike, it's my son. I am the old guy standing in the creek. My son is an expert mountain biker so he prefers the hard technical trails. I don't. But the scariest part of driving down there, are the truckers, the roads are narrow and the truckers won't slow down or get over, you had better be out of the way when they come barreling around a corner. But we have been down there three or four times now, and really like it. What is funny on our first trip down to Batopilas, are the natives or Tarahumara Indians, these guys are supposed to be the best long distance runners in the world. But we saw a couple hitch hiking, so we gave them a ride back up out of the canyon. But they are really interesting. All they wear is a sort of loin cloth. And there is a colony of Mennonites living down near Creel, and they still speak old German or something, we met some and bought some cheese from them, they make great cheese. I guess they emigrated from Canada quite a long time ago, because the Canadian government wanted to make their kids go to school, but they prefer to limit them to a sixth grade education. So the Mexican government allowed them to emigrate and promised not to interfere with them.

BlueXJ
07-14-2013, 02:48 PM
You have more guts than me. I have been to Copper Canyon about 20 years ago and thought the scenery was spectacular, but the political and the cartels in Mexico scare me as "gringos" are abducted for ransom often.
You are right about the trucks and busses on those mountain roads.

bad luck
07-14-2013, 08:32 PM
We have been going down to Mexico for a very long time, over 20 years, and never had any trouble. Maybe we've been lucky or maybe it's not as dangerous as some people say. We drove down the length of baja california, back in 1985, and that was really fun. But we're hesitant to return because it is paved all the way now, and it is probably a lot more touristy now. The first time we went to Copper Canyon was about 10 years ago, and I am looking forward to going back.