PDA

View Full Version : Geyser Pass

bad luck
07-04-2013, 04:30 PM
I was hoping to go camping up in the La Sa mountains, but my wife didn't want to spend the night. So we just rode up to Geyser Pass and to a couple high mountain lakes and then back home. At least we can see the fireworks display that the city will put on this evening from home. Geyser Pass is about 10,600 ft. so it was a lot cooler, probably in the 70º range. Meanwhile back at the house it's over 100º. The picture with the small 3 leaf plants are wild strawberrys, they are tiny but really good. Then the other flower is a kind of wild orchid, I am told. And there are some nice little lakes up there and a beautiful aspen forest. The bare peak is Mt. Tukuhnikivatz. The last picture is an old fence, I know it looks like a pile of dead brush but it goes on for a mile or more, along Hwy.46 near the town of La Sal.

4.3LXJ
07-04-2013, 04:36 PM
Yes indeed, a wild orchid. There are a number of them native to forests in North America. Nice pics. FYI, all those Aspen Trees are all one tree. They don't have viable seeds so they sprout from the roots. Soooooooooooooooo .................. theoretically those trees are thousands of years old :D

bad luck
07-04-2013, 04:43 PM
Thank you again Steve, You are a wealth of information about more than just jeeps I see. The aspen tree goes on for miles. And the orchids are really pretty. I know where to get free bouquets now.

4.3LXJ
07-04-2013, 04:46 PM
Better yet, you can buy those species from Plant Delights nursery and grow your own in a shady spot :D

Carves
07-04-2013, 08:14 PM
Yes indeed, a wild orchid. There are a number of them native to forests in North America. Nice pics. FYI, all those Aspen Trees are all one tree. They don't have viable seeds so they sprout from the roots. Soooooooooooooooo .................. theoretically those trees are thousands of years old :D

Wish our scrub grew like Aspens ... that rubbish shrubbery I was in last week - drop millions of seeds per plant .. choking out the decent stuff.

4.3LXJ
07-04-2013, 09:30 PM
That is the thing about fire ecology. We screw it up by suppressing wild fires. Makes the old growth forests brushy here

XJ Wheeler
07-05-2013, 01:52 AM

I was noticing that about the aspertrees the other day when we were in Colo. Saw them sprouting from roots, you just wouldn't think it.

Sent via messenger pigeon - i talk, he types.