PDA

View Full Version : Wind Caves

bad luck
07-02-2013, 09:46 AM
We went to check out the wind caves, this was quite a while ago. Passed this old cabin on the way. It's a lot of fun to bring the guns and plink out here too.

NW99XJ
07-02-2013, 09:51 AM
That would make for an awesome camping spot!
I bet that's not allowed though huh?

bad luck
07-02-2013, 10:01 AM
Sure you can camp there, it's BLM land, you can gather dead junipers and they make a great fire.

4.3LXJ
07-02-2013, 10:20 AM
Very cool. How far back do the caves go?

bad luck
07-02-2013, 10:48 AM
I think they only go back about 75' but the one is a pretty large chamber.

4.3LXJ
07-02-2013, 11:07 AM
Very nice. My son and I love spelunkering

bad luck
07-02-2013, 12:55 PM
Steve, do you have a lot of caves in your area? I think it would be so cool to go spelunking. There are no real caves around here, so I like to go canyoneering.

4.3LXJ
07-02-2013, 02:02 PM
Not a lot, but the Shasta Caverns are very cool. Guide tours only. Another is the Oregon Caves outside of Grants Pass. However, when we come on old mine shafts, we will explore them. There are two near where my son lives we have been in. They were opened after hydraulic mining washed off the top layers and exposed an ancient creek bed. The whole strata had been turned on its side so the tunnel drops and rises. Fun in the dark. Both tunnels are from the same "mine" but different locations. Whenever we come across mines we will explore them. There are numerous shafts in the Oregon City, CA site, but I don't want to brave the poison oak to get to them. We have been in another in the same general area that goes about 80' down and has a Toyota pickup in the bottom, but we didn't have the industrial size mosquito repellant with us. Someone has to remain up top to operate a winch to lower and raise people on that one.