PDA

View Full Version : How To: Simple Oil Change 101

JeepFreak
07-02-2013, 03:54 AM
Hey guys, I couldn't find a simple How To on the site on how to change the oil in your XJ so I thought I'd make one (with pics)!!! This is a step by step way to change the oil on a 1994 Jeep Cherokee Sport 4WD 4.0L 6 cyl. It may even be the same for your Jeep. Keep reading to find out!

First things first! Things you'll need: 3/8 Drive Socket Wrench with a 9/16 socket, shop towels (you'll definitely need them), hand cleaner (not in picture), a funnel and oil catcher (also not in picture),oil jug (not in picture) an oil filter wrench (one that will fit your specific filter), and a Fram filter (or another brand if you prefer but I prefer Fram).

Brasscatz
07-02-2013, 11:56 AM
Tis a good start! Good idea for a post!

JeepFreak
07-02-2013, 12:24 PM
Step 1) What you want to do is remove the silver bolt in your oil pan (the oil pan looks kind of like the pan for your transmission and is located in front of the transmission) with your 3/8 socket wrench and 9/16 socket. Make sure you have the oil catcher pan underneath the oil pan so that the oil drains into it. Most oil catchers can hold 5-6 quarts so it should have plenty of room to catch all of the oil.

JeepFreak
07-02-2013, 12:26 PM
Step 2) Examine your oil pan bolt gasket (the black ring around the bolt). If it is thin or otherwise worn out (like mine) it needs to be replaced. You should do so next oil change or else you may leak small amounts of oil.

JeepFreak
07-02-2013, 12:29 PM
Step 3) After the oil gets down to maybe 1-3 drops a minute, you know most of the oil has drained out so it is safe to put the oil pan bolt back in using the 3/8 socket wrench and 9/16 socket. After it is replaced, examine the oil.

If the oil looks dirty and black, this is a good sign. It means that the oil is doing its job and bringing harmful deposits and dirt away from your engine and back to the filter to be trapped until the next oil change.

JeepFreak
07-02-2013, 12:31 PM
Step 4) Remove the old filter using the oil wrench that best fits your oil filter. My oil filter is a PH16 so I needed an oil wrench that fit one. My wrench fits 3/8 sockets so that I can easily remove it with a socket wrench. My oil filter wrench is a "C" cap wrench. You may or may not need to remove the plug that attaches to the Oil Pressure Sensor (OPS) to get a good grip on the filter and have more room to work. On my Jeep, the OPS is right above the filter as can be seen in the next few photos.

JeepFreak
07-02-2013, 12:32 PM
Step 5) Make sure to take some of the new oil on your finger and rub it around the outside lip and inside gasket of the new filter. This will make it much easier to take off the next time you change your oil.

JeepFreak
07-02-2013, 12:35 PM
Step 6) Replace the old filter with the now primed Fram PH16 filter (or whichever brand you prefer but I use Fram).

Step 7) If you had to unplug your OPS, reattach it now.

JeepFreak
07-02-2013, 12:38 PM
Step 8) Remove the oil filler cap on the top of your engine block and insert the funnel.

Step 9) Take your new oil (for me it was Pennzoil High Mileage 10w40) and pour it into the funnel. In the summer it's a good idea to use 10w40 because in extreme heat the oil will thin making everything less lubricated. Having a higher viscosity oil counters this effect. If you aren't sure if it's the right oil for your car, consult the Owner's Manual. Your manufacturer will explain what oil to use. For my Jeep, it was a good idea. You should start to use high mileage oil once you reach around 180-200k miles on your XJ. The high mileage oil has additives that an older car needs.

JeepFreak
07-02-2013, 12:43 PM
Step 10) Remove the funnel when most of the oil is inside the engine. You may hear a slight dripping noise as if it was draining. This is normal as it passes through the engine and back into the pan. Insert oil filler cap.

Step 11) Insert the funnel into your oil jug. Place shop towels or anything under and around the jug that will absorb any spills.

JeepFreak
07-02-2013, 12:46 PM
Step 12) Carefully pour the oil into the oil jug making sure to avoid any spills but remember we all make mistakes and accidents do happen so be sure to have more shop towels ready to clean up the mess.

Step 13) FINAL STEP: After you have secured your tools, used oil containers and safely disposed of your used shop towels and filter by containing them in a sealed ziploc bag (an oil filter can hold up to one quart of oil even when they seem empty), the next step is to start your car and let it run for 2 minutes MINIMUM. This is about how long it takes for the fresh oil to circulate through your engine and allow you to safely drive it without the possibility of damage to your engine.

That's it! You've completed your first oil change! Be sure to change your oil every 3,00 miles or every 3 months whichever comes first. NEVER DUMP USED OIL DOWN A DRAIN!!! Just one quart of oil pollutes over 1 million gallons of freshwater. Please dispose of your used oil and filter by taking it to an official State Certified Recycling Center. The most common is your city's municipal recycling and trash services which may offer incentives such as curbside pick up and 40 cents or more per gallon of recycled oil. If you do not have a city service that recycles oil, take it to your nearest AutoZone or Kragen/O'Reilley's and they will safely dispose of it for you. Waste Management may also recycle your used oil. I hope this helps everyone in maintaining their car and may it last you for many more years of enjoyment to come!

ArmyGuy45
07-02-2013, 02:11 PM
Great write up!!!

I put 5 qts in and then run it for 2 mins and put the last qt in since it puts a lot of presure on the engine to have 6 qts in it and none in the filter.

JeepFreak
07-02-2013, 02:16 PM
Great write up!!!

I put 5 qts in and then run it for 2 mins and put the last qt in since it puts a lot of presure on the engine to have 6 qts in it and none in the filter.

What you also might try doing is putting all but the last quart in the engine then putting the last quart into the filter itself. This way there's no build up of pressure since there's no pocket without oil in the filter. This way you have full 6 qt protection while still keeping the pressure down. Whatever oil doesn't fit in the filter can then be put into the engine, just make sure that it won't spill out when you put it on your filter screw.

Floridajeepcherokee
08-11-2013, 12:55 PM
98 4.0 takes 6 quarts?

JeepFreak
08-11-2013, 01:03 PM
98 4.0 takes 6 quarts?

Mine is a 94 and it takes 5-6 quarts. I usually go 5 1/2 quarts to be safe in case it starts to froth. Better to be safe than sorry but it can hold 6 quarts I believe.

cpttuna
08-11-2013, 08:35 PM
3 comments: I drain my oil hot(flows out the oil pan better. secondly, I remove the oil filler cap when I drain the oil(flows out the oil pan better) and last but not least, I check to make sure the gasket is attached to the old oil filter and not the housing. If attched to the oil filter housung/adapter, make sure it is removed.