PDA

View Full Version : drop brackets vs long arm

alwaysxj
09-15-2009, 01:05 PM
i need to either get some drop bracket or make some long arms. is it worth it to build the long arms or just spend the money to get the drop bracket? i have 6 1/2 inches of lift with re control arms. what is the benifit of the two.
i don't have that good of fab skills but i would like a long arm but i don't want it to fall apart because i did something wrong. what do you think will be the best think to do?:smiley-talk024:

Mudderoy
09-15-2009, 01:10 PM
I won't pretend that I have any vast amount of experience in this area, but I think it is pretty easy. The long arms are always a better option that the short, even if you put drop brakets on. Your rig will ride smoother, and have greater articulation off road.

I think it really comes down to cost and the effort of installation.

One other thing. The drop brakets are lower and more likely to hang up on things. I think long arms are the way to go, but then again there's that pesky $$$ issue.

alwaysxj
09-15-2009, 01:15 PM
I won't pretend that I have any vast amount of experience in this area, but I think it is pretty easy. The long arms are always a better option that the short, even if you put drop brakets on. Your rig will ride smoother, and have greater articulation off road.

I think it really comes down to cost and the effort of installation.

One other thing. The drop brakets are lower and more likely to hang up on things. I think long arms are the way to go, but then again there's that pesky $$$ issue.

well the cost would not be that much of a differece. i have read that the drop brakets will hang lower but i had them on my firts jeep and it would out flex my buddys jeep that had a 4 1/2 inch long arm kit. i just cant decide. thanks for you imput.

Mudderoy
09-15-2009, 01:17 PM
well the cost would not be that much of a differece. i have read that the drop brakets will hang lower but i had them on my firts jeep and it would out flex my buddys jeep that had a 4 1/2 inch long arm kit. i just cant decide. thanks for you imput.

Hmmm I thought long arms were in the $800 to $1500 range and drop brackets are less than $200.

alwaysxj
09-15-2009, 01:21 PM
Hmmm I thought long arms were in the $800 to $1500 range and drop brackets are less than $200.

well my father inlaw work at a mill and get metal for cheap and i can get some rod ends for like $50 each so i could do the long arms for like aroud $200 or alittle more.

muddeprived
09-16-2009, 10:54 AM
When in doubt, go with long arms. When in debt, go with drop brackets. :thumbsup:

I run the drop brackets. Mudd's right, they get hung up on things but that all depends on how high you are. I run 31's on 4" with the brackets and they bang on stuff sometimes BUT i don't get hung up and stuck. It just slides on the rock and i keep on goin. Sometimes the brackets hit on things when backing up. RE's kit has long "slider" brackets behind for this purpose. RC uses some advertisement type bracket that pretty much sucks in this situation.

Drop brackets and long arms both lessen the control arm angles for a much better on road ride. Both have probably equal amount of flex, depending on how you set them up. Both setups are very strong. Long arms are more expensive but you don't lose any clearance. Brackets are a wal-mart item but you lose clearance.

If you do rockcrawling, forget the brackets and go long arm. If you do trail riding and muddin, brackets will work just fine. Just make sure you have at least 4" before adding the brackets or they will not work.

Primo
09-17-2009, 04:53 PM
At 5 & 1/2 Inches I am surprised you don't have one or the other allredy. But since I read another post of yours and gatherd that you will be going with long arms, I must say good choice, go long arm you can always add some DB's if you want. I can't wate to see what you come up with post asap with some pics.

2000XJ
09-18-2009, 10:42 PM
I'd take the time to research and learn how to do LA's. You'll thank yourself later. The drop brackets are too much of a liability - they hang lower and they're more vulnerable to damage or to getting ripped off.

Long arms that are built correctly and are strong will allow you to slide over things and your suspension will work really well. There are many write-ups on the net that go through how to build LAs and they can be really helpful. If you know a buddy that's building a LA rig (regardless if it's an XJ or TJ or linking a YJ) hang out with him and learn. It's alot easier to learn it in person than by reading it on the net, although reading it does give you some theory behind it.