PDA

View Full Version : Book Cliffs

bad luck
06-30-2013, 07:18 PM
A couple weeks ago, we went up to Thompson to see the petroglyphs again. It has been a few years since we were there. I forgot how nice they are. (except for the graffiti) and visited this interesting old graveyard. Then we circled around the Book Cliffs and came out at Crescent Junction, then back home.

XJ Wheeler
07-01-2013, 01:48 AM
Very cool! That third pic reminds me of an ancient version of those goofy family stick figure decals. :p

Sent via messenger pigeon - i talk, he types.

4.3LXJ
07-01-2013, 08:38 AM
We really like petroglyphs. We search them out whenever possible

bad luck
07-01-2013, 03:50 PM
We really like the petroglyphs too. It' a good thing the ancient indians didn't have paper to draw on, otherwise there would be nothing left. They always make me think of comic strips, or the funny papers. There is one in the Needles section of Canyonlands NP I think, called All American Man, it predates the American flag, it's really amazing. They did radio carbon dating on it and concluded that it was drawn in the 14th century, but it is a pictograph not a petroglyph.

bluedragon436
07-01-2013, 03:54 PM
That is pretty cool.... unfortunately you always have some Jackoff that ruins it all for everyone else by hitting it up with graffiti!!

4.3LXJ
07-01-2013, 04:14 PM
We really like the petroglyphs too. It' a good thing the ancient indians didn't have paper to draw on, otherwise there would be nothing left. They always make me think of comic strips, or the funny papers. There is one in the Needles section of Canyonlands NP I think, called All American Man, it predates the American flag, it's really amazing. They did radio carbon dating on it and concluded that it was drawn in the 14th century, but it is a pictograph not a petroglyph.

The really sad thing is that we white folks did such a good job of eradicating their language and culture, no one anywhere knows what all this art symbolized. I have some near me. I was on a crew to determine if they were on government land so they could be preserved. Made it by about 20'