PDA

View Full Version : Broken rear shock bolts, where to cut in floor.

XJMikey
06-27-2013, 01:39 PM
After doing a lot of searching, I was not able to find any pictures of where to cut the floor to access the rear shock bolts... So I took pics of mine while doing the shock replacement today.

Passenger side
http://i942.photobucket.com/albums/ad261/OffRoadJunkie_photos/My%20XJ/DSC_0526.jpg

Driverside
http://i942.photobucket.com/albums/ad261/OffRoadJunkie_photos/My%20XJ/DSC_0527.jpg

I hope this helps anyone who's going to do this modification to replace their rear shock bolts.

Mudderoy
06-27-2013, 01:48 PM
I just popped out the nuts with an air chisel.

slvmart
06-27-2013, 03:21 PM
I took a small drill bit and drilled a hole using the center hole in the mount, from the bottom to the top. Then a hole drill to cut out from the top. Forget the size.

XJMikey
06-27-2013, 04:35 PM
I used my 4-1/2" grinder with a cut off wheel and a abrasive wheel.

SteveMongr
07-06-2013, 05:38 AM
Do Not cut the Floor!
It is acesssable from underneath because the shock mount is off the cargo floor, there is enough room to fit some fingers or pliers with a nut and bolt to the same shock flange.

nickyg
07-06-2013, 10:09 AM
Do Not cut the Floor!
It is acesssable from underneath because the shock mount is off the cargo floor, there is enough room to fit some fingers or pliers with a nut and bolt to the same shock flange.

X2, I found that out after i drilled a hole on the drivers side.

XJMikey
07-06-2013, 04:48 PM
Do Not cut the Floor!

I was unable to break the bolts and nuts free from under neath. This was a last ditch effort and I posted these pictures for the next person who is unable to break free the bolts and nuts. Someday I will have BPE welded in and panels welded in the holes.

mattioxj
10-09-2013, 12:37 PM
Dont cut anything. I used the bracket that holds the rear swaybar to the spring. Placed them over the broken bolts and welded them there.pushed the barpin from the shock and used the bracket bolt to attache.[free barpin eliminater] these have been on three yrs no problems. Sorry no pics!!

bluedragon436
10-12-2013, 03:23 PM
I have heard of other people doing the same thing... Might keep those parts when I remove my rear sway bar, and will install on my next shock replacement...

XJMikey
10-16-2013, 11:01 PM
When I have the holes welded shut, I'm going to also have my swaybar mounts and reinforcement plates weld in place of the stock mount locations. I can live with never having bar pins, bushing noise and needing to argue with rusts nuts/bolts.

rabies
04-28-2014, 12:22 PM
i wish the pictures worked

bluedragon436
04-28-2014, 12:25 PM
i wish the pictures worked

I would go with the above statement of not cutting through your floor until you have no other choice.. I would knock the nuts through from underneath, then snake in some new bolts, which can fairly easily be done from underneath...

rabies
04-28-2014, 12:39 PM
yea i seen a thread somewhere, where a guy snuck a wrench and a bolt through the unibody spot welded shock top mount.
i observed mine the other day it was caked in with clay and mud.
i know for sure my bolts will snap when i replace them :(

bluedragon436
04-28-2014, 12:42 PM
yeah I'd clean em out and do the bolt through there part, before I cut through the floor... myself personally... I think cutting the hole just opens more chances of rust through the floor, and more chances of getting mud and such inside if not sealed perfectly... not to mention you still have to clean all that caked in clay & mud to do it that way anyways...

XJMikey
04-28-2014, 12:49 PM
I would go with the above statement of not cutting through your floor until you have no other choice.. I would knock the nuts through from underneath, then snake in some new bolts, which can fairly easily be done from underneath...

x2.

Here's the pics.

Passenger:
http://i942.photobucket.com/albums/ad261/OffRoadJunkie_photos/My%20XJ/DSC_0526-1.jpg
Driver:
http://i942.photobucket.com/albums/ad261/OffRoadJunkie_photos/My%20XJ/DSC_0527-1.jpg

slvmart
04-28-2014, 05:30 PM
XJMikey ..... Pretty much what I did with the exception of using a hole drill. Cleaned and primed it all with weld through primer and tacked a couple of nuts in. Painted with Rustoleum. Put some aluminum diamond plate panels over the cut outs and then sealed with seam sealer. So it's all easily removable, if I ever have to get in there again.

XJMikey
04-28-2014, 06:53 PM
XJMikey ..... Pretty much what I did with the exception of using a hole drill. Cleaned and primed it all with weld through primer and tacked a couple of nuts in. Painted with Rustoleum. Put some aluminum diamond plate panels over the cut outs and then sealed with seam sealer. So it's all easily removable, if I ever have to get in there again.

With my rubber gaskets, I've been rust and trouble free so far. Someday I'll get BPE's welded in, and have my floor welded shut.

XjJeepacorn
04-29-2014, 07:56 PM
BPE for sure the first time I did mine I thought the rears would be easy, then the bolts snapped lol I was new back then! Anyways after not having the right drill bits to do the job on hand decided torching out holes was the best option. Then I snaked bolts through. Last year I installed bpes I'm quite happy with them. One thing to think about at this stage may be relocating the shocks so you get more articulation I've not done it but I've read pleny of threads about it.

XjJeepacorn
04-29-2014, 07:57 PM
BPE for sure the first time I did mine I thought the rears would be easy, then the bolts snapped lol I was new back then! Anyways after not having the right drill bits to do the job on hand decided torching out holes was the best option. Then I snaked bolts through. Last year I installed bpes I'm quite happy with them. One thing to think about at this stage may be relocating the shocks so you get more travel I've not done it but I've read pleny of threads about it.

XjJeepacorn
04-29-2014, 07:58 PM
Its hard though to get the wrench over the bolt can't remember which side but one side is alot easier then the other