PDA

View Full Version : Famous Ham Radio Operators.

prerunner1982
06-12-2013, 01:03 PM
KG4UYY James Lance Bass - 'N SYNC pop singer.
WN30QW Jim Croce Singer/Songwriter
W4CGP (Ex-WA4CZD) Chet Atkins Singer/Songwriter/Guitarist
WB4KCG Ronnie Milsap Singer/Songwriter
KD4WUJ Patty Loveless Country Music Singer
WB6ACU Joe Walsh Guitarist/Singer/Songwriter
N6FUP Stu Cooks Baseball player
KD6OY Garry Shandling TV Personality
N6YOS Priscilla Presley Actress (wife of Elvis)
NK7U Joe Rudi Baseball player
K7UGA Barry Goldwater late US Senator/SK 1998
FO5GJ Marlon Brando Actor
KB2GSD Walter Cronkite - "The worlds most recognised" US television newsreader - Walter has an asteroid named after him
K2HEP John Sculley - former CEO of Pepsi
M0SDX Sergei Rebrov - Professional soccer player
N6FUP Stuart Alden Cook (Stu Cook) - Bass guitar player in American rock band, Creedence Clearwater Revival
W6UK Alvino Rey - Musician, reportedly invented / pioneered the electric guitar
9DRV David Packard - Co-Founder of Hewlett-Packard.(sk).

http://www.dx-qsl.com/famous-ham-radio-operators.html
http://www.qsl.net/w5www/famous.html

Mudderoy
06-12-2013, 01:09 PM
The K# calls are oldest then W#, WA# WB#. Anything like KD# is fairly recent.

I received my license back in 1976 as WN5ZDD (as a novice) then it was changed to WB5ZDD when I upgraded, having the "N" in the call for a novice was common back then. So Joe Walsh and I were probably licensed within a few years of each other.

denverd1
06-12-2013, 01:30 PM
Ham radio - are these like walkie talkies for grownups... but you can talk to people in space?

Mudderoy
06-12-2013, 01:48 PM
Ham radio - are these like walkie talkies for grownups... but you can talk to people in space?

Yes, and yes. The International Space Station.

ISS hamradio contact received with a Kenwood handheld TH-F7 - YouTube

prerunner1982
05-02-2014, 08:35 AM
The K# calls are oldest then W#, WA# WB#. Anything like KD# is fairly recent.

I received my license back in 1976 as WN5ZDD (as a novice) then it was changed to WB5ZDD when I upgraded, having the "N" in the call for a novice was common back then. So Joe Walsh and I were probably licensed within a few years of each other.

Per his latest appearance on HamNation he said it was 1960. I thought it was interesting listening to Joe talk about his life in ham radio.

http://twit.tv/show/ham-nation/144

prerunner1982
09-29-2014, 07:48 AM
Congrats to Tim Allen (Home Improvement & Last Man Standing) for obtaining his Technician license.

The producer of Last Man Standing, John Amodeo is a ham (NN6JA), hence the main character of the show Mike Baxter also being a ham. A lot of the supporting crew of the show have also gone on to get their licenses.

This last weekend a special ham event was held from the "Last Man Standing" set using the call K6H. The radios that appear in the show were used with antennas mounted ontop of the studio.

prerunner1982
09-30-2014, 12:23 PM
Tim Alan Dick (his real name) - KK6OTD

xjzaped
01-31-2015, 12:48 PM
Per his latest appearance on HamNation he said it was 1960. I thought it was interesting listening to Joe talk about his life in ham radio.

http://twit.tv/show/ham-nation/144

Mine's from 1956. 1x3. Most don't know the original purpose of W and K calls.

prerunner1982
03-03-2016, 09:46 AM
How about Donald Duck?

Charlie Foxtrot
03-26-2017, 07:34 PM
FWIW Jimmy Buffett is a ham. I used to listen to him running a maritime net check in from down in the Carribean area around 1800cst (fall/winter, mid-90's). I was chasing a numbers station that used to transmit in Spanish using the same freq same time from Cuba. Best guess based on the directional equipment available at the time - later confirmed when we heard a live Radio Havana announcer in the background when you could clearly hear a door open in the background, then ceased when door closed, all in real time.

As for talking to space shots, when I was a kid, various governmental outfits as well as a local Ham group used to set up tracking & comms equipment on the grounds of Riverbank Labs during the Mercury & Gemini programs (probably Apollo also) whenever there was a launch. My friends and I would wonder down to the labs and hang out till we were chased away by MPs. The local Hams took pity on us & brought us into their operations shack to listen in on the comms. I was hooked. I didn't stop hanging out at the labs until I enlisted. Took code classes, built receivers, antennas, wandered about till my folks would come drag me home.