PDA

View Full Version : 1.5 Watt Solar Trickle Charger??

Infidel Edition
05-22-2013, 11:02 AM
I was at Harbor Freight and found this:
.....for $13
http://www.harborfreight.com/15-watt-solar-battery-charger-68692.html

I generally only drive my XJ on weekends for drill / funeral services and the battery feels lacking if it sits more than 5 or so days. So I was thinking about picking one of these up and making a permanent mount on the dash.

My question is, would this need a regulator to protect the battery from overcharging? or is 1.5 watts low enough that it wouldn't do any damage?
... what if I did 2 in parallel for a wapping 3 watts of trickle charge?

** I know I have to go through the entire electrical system later this summer to figure out all the damage the PO did when wiring a stereo ~ and not upgrading the wires to accommodate! And there is a short ~ drain on the battery somewhere.
But for $13... it wouldn't be a bad investment.

prerunner1982
05-22-2013, 11:06 AM
I wish I would have stripped the solar charger off the conversion van my in laws had before they scrapped it.

I certainly don't think it's a bad investment, it's always nice to have the ability to charge/maintain your battery....as long as it works. However, I think the drain certainly needs to be addressed as it would likely account for the loss of power upon sitting.

4.3LXJ
05-22-2013, 12:25 PM
The idea behind battery chargers is that they charge by voltage. If the battery voltage is low, then they will charge until the battery voltage comes up to that of the charger. So, no it will not overcharge.

Infidel Edition
05-22-2013, 12:48 PM
... the drain certainly needs to be addressed as it would likely account for the loss of power upon sitting.

Definitely will be doing that. But I'm going to attack the entire electrical system all at once in July when I get back.
Maybe add a 2nd battery in back for accessories.

+ when I go away for a month long school / training, my jeep sits. I general will pull the cable off the battery, but that's not always enough.
...Yes, I pry need a new battery too.

The idea behind battery chargers is that they charge by voltage. If the battery voltage is low, then they will charge until the battery voltage comes up to that of the charger. So, no it will not overcharge.

So anything below 5 watt range would be fine?
I was thinking either 2 x 1.5 (for $26) or a 5 watt (foldable for $39.99).

89Laredo
05-22-2013, 01:02 PM
125ma... I wouldn't bother.

4.3LXJ
05-22-2013, 01:30 PM
Any range is fine as long as it is set up for auto batteries

bluedragon436
05-22-2013, 11:13 PM
I'm def going to pick up up one of these setup for a car before my next deployment... spent way too much on my battery to want to have to replace it again!!

Infidel Edition
05-23-2013, 10:06 AM
125ma... I wouldn't bother.

I was thinking of running 2 or 3 in parallel ~ would under $40
~ or for $55, and a little customizing to the roof rack I'm building, there's a 10W panel ($40 12" x 14" I think) with a 7 Amp Charge Controller ($15) that I could go with.
Amazon.com: Instapark® NEW All Black 10W High-Efficiency Mono-Crystalline Solar Panel: Patio, Lawn & Garden@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41DQDG4VMHL.@@AMEPARAM@@41DQDG4VMHL

Either way, I have a SHi...TON of wiring to deal with in July when I have more time and money.
I've mentioned there's a short someplace ~ when I use the turn signal, the stereo shuts off...
There's a couple MELTY wires I disconnected (toward the AC area) where I think the PO wired an amp:crazy:
Lots of that white crusty build-up at connection ends...

The battery cables look kind of sketch. Those are going to get replaced this weekend.
The list just keeps going.
........but I figured for the price, it can't be bad :rolleye0012:

Infidel Edition
05-24-2013, 07:16 PM
Battery snipping %-%$*&$'s at the pick'n pull! All ends were cut off to expidite pulling batteries.:mad0029:

However, I found a great donor option. Most 90's Mercedes have large gauge battery cables and they're pretty long.
If I can find one at the yard this weekend, it'd run $5 for the set.

* I know stock doesn't need that large of a gauge ~ but with age and length, bigger's better.
And since I'm gonna overhaul the entire electrical system... $5 to be on the gauge to spare side works for me.:rolleyes:

cpttuna
05-25-2013, 08:08 AM
Watch E-bay. I got a 20W (new) for $25.00. It cost me more for the charge controller.

Infidel Edition
05-25-2013, 09:04 AM
Watch E-bay. I got a 20W (new) for $25.00. It cost me more for the charge controller.

Cool
How big is it? H x W x D
...and does it work well?

cpttuna
05-26-2013, 07:43 AM
18"x21" x1" mounted on swivel stand by the garage. It's primary purpose is to run the thermostat on the furnace in the garage if there is a power outage

Infidel Edition
05-26-2013, 08:49 AM
I like it as a charger, but that's about the top end on size for what I was thinking.
My thought was to work it into the roof rack as a permanent device.
When I park it for w couple weeks at a time, it's fully unattended :confused: