PDA

View Full Version : Poverty = WHAT?

Infidel Edition
05-07-2013, 01:27 PM
So I had to take a term off of classes (yes, I'm an old fart taking classes) due to anticipated military orders for training and such.
Basically, I was informed that I'd be gone for 3 weeks of March, 2 weeks in May, and all of June.
So I do the responsible thing and give my school all the details and memos.

Sallie Mae then contacts me to let me know that "since I'm not a current student", I need to start repaying my loans or provide orders proving I'm on military duty.
Well, the military training was killed with the LACK OF BUDGET PLANNING BY DC (at the last second / so I couldn't enroll in time).
They then tell me to submit an economic hardship form.
And then promptly deny it because I make TOO MUCH MONEY!

Apparently, the government definition of poverty for a family of 4 is Gross of $2000 a month. That's GROSS not NET!
And anyone making more than that is an auto deny!

So, if you make $2,001 a month ~ and they pull the OBama share out your take home is like $1,500.
Then, lets say you don't live in Portland where the going rent for a 3 room apartment is well over $500 a month!
And don't forget utilities and such for another $100 - $150
...Maybe some food once a week (which by their estimate, a family of 4 should be $150 / $200 a week)...
I'd already down to $200 for all those other expenses!

NOT TO MENTION, THE LOAN PAYMENT OF ~ well, mine is more than $200 a month!

AND THE MOST ANNOYING PART :bang: is that the person on the other end of the phone WHEN I CALL THE GOVERNMENT RAN ENTITY wasn't even an American! He sounded like he was from India! :sign0181:

If only it was a home loan! Then I could do the smart thing and not pay it so I could be forgiven.

...............sorry. Just had to grumble!

4.3LXJ
05-07-2013, 01:51 PM
Sounds about right. You can however have it temporarily deferred. Call and request to talk to someone in the US. They are supposed to comply with that

Infidel Edition
05-07-2013, 02:52 PM
Sounds about right. You can however have it temporarily deferred. Call and request to talk to someone in the US. They are supposed to comply with that

I finally had a moment to call again (3rd time) and talk to someone.
He asked if I would like a deferment...

I told him I did... and it was shot down.
He said, "I'll do it for you over the phone."

That would have been nice 5 weeks ago when I started the process with the first call...
But mostly, I just had to vent. It's been one of those weeks:stars:

XJ Wheeler
05-07-2013, 05:14 PM
Easy solution. Go to another country, become a citizen there, come back to the good ol USA... then you'll be taken care of. :rolleyes:

Infidel Edition
05-07-2013, 05:57 PM
Easy solution. Go to another country, become a citizen there, come back to the good ol USA... then you'll be taken care of. :rolleyes:

And I'll leave the wife here...
How long does it take to become a Canadian? It's the only language skills I have.
And they seem to drink a lot of beer :beer: and bacon!

Then, when I come back... I can use the wife as my resident ticket. :rolleye0012:

You may be onto something.

Azzy
05-07-2013, 06:02 PM
They drink bacon in Canada? I'll pass. Crummy gun laws, little freedom.

Just had to do the student loan shuffle, and had to explain to them that since I had to be truthful on my last years earnings on their form, that did not reflect that my wife was unemployed now, and not earning an income, and that we had a child on the way.

Eventually dropped the payments down, so I can still tackle them as I used to, btu have the option to go easy for a month or two.

On the flip side, there are a lot of things that people do that are not needs... credit cards, fast food, cable TV, internet, cell phones, offroading... that people budget in or never think of giving up when times get tough.

Infidel Edition
05-07-2013, 09:55 PM
They drink bacon in Canada? I'll pass. Crummy gun laws, little freedom.

Just had to do the student loan shuffle, and had to explain to them that since I had to be truthful on my last years earnings on their form, that did not reflect that my wife was unemployed now, and not earning an income, and that we had a child on the way.

Eventually dropped the payments down, so I can still tackle them as I used to, btu have the option to go easy for a month or two.

On the flip side, there are a lot of things that people do that are not needs... credit cards, fast food, cable TV, internet, cell phones, offroading... that people budget in or never think of giving up when times get tough.

Bacon beer... I'd drink that.
The only bad beer is 'no beer'
...and I could maybe squeeze a little out of the budget here and there. But not enough to make the payment they want. I'm working on a spendy graduate degree (in accounting and audit of all things) and the monthly due is $575. On top of my other base bills... no go

Congrats on the little one!
Is that your first?

Brasscatz
05-07-2013, 11:15 PM
I feel ya brother. When Hurricane Ike hit the Houston area, I was unable to work for a while (I was salary, but the CEO from his cushy office in Irvine, CA said we had to either not get paid or take PTO time) and my wife was actually let go from her job. We called Chase (they handle our mortgage) and we were told that we could defer our payments up to 3 months and they would just tack those 3 months at the end of our loan. We called again later on to make sure our paperwork was received and double checked the facts about it being tacked on at the end of the loan... 3 months later, we were told that the deferment was legitimate, BUT.... BUT, those 3 months cannot be added on at the end, but in fact ALL 3 MONTHS WERE DUE AT THE END OF THOSE 3 MONTHS! WHAT???? We couldn't afford to pay ONE month at the time, much less 3 FULL MONTHS!!! We ended up having to borrow from family and we finally got back on our feet. I hate what happens to good people when all the "others" get to skate by for free....

Azzy
05-08-2013, 09:40 AM
Bacon beer... I'd drink that.
The only bad beer is 'no beer'
...and I could maybe squeeze a little out of the budget here and there. But not enough to make the payment they want. I'm working on a spendy graduate degree (in accounting and audit of all things) and the monthly due is $575. On top of my other base bills... no go

Congrats on the little one!
Is that your first?

There is always bad beer. Some people call it Guinness. And, yep, our first. Thanks :)

Infidel Edition
05-08-2013, 02:53 PM
There is always bad beer. Some people call it Guinness. And, yep, our first. Thanks :)

Guinness is glorious!
Specially the real Guinness in Ireland that you can eat with a spoon...

Remember, as some comedian once pointed out, "You're not a real parent until you have 2. Because until then, you'll know who did it." :rolleye0012:

I'm still not sure where 1/2 my tools went. :bang:
or which one did it...